Getting the house in order...
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    What needs to be done?

MorphOS will be released for the EFIKA when it is ready. When it is released we want to have things organized. We need MorphZone up and more operational again. We donated a $1000 via PayPal today to the site today.

Wake up Dave!!!

It is time to get things moving again. What should we do? Please share your ideas in this thread. Thanks!

R&B :-)
  • »09.02.07 - 14:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    1. I'm missing the MOS screenshots on the main page.
    2. The HTML-irc chat is not working (think the users who have the irc port blocked by the firewall at work).
    3. I would like to be able to see the new soft-releases on the main page.

cheers.. :-D
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »09.02.07 - 15:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Yeah we need the MOS screenshot gallery back asap.
    To show all intrested People how cool and awsome MOS is :-D
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »09.02.07 - 15:52
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    Need to setup an easy way for people to post up guides of how to do whatever people need to know in morphis.
  • »09.02.07 - 16:01
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

1. I'm missing the MOS screenshots on the main page.
    2. The HTML-irc chat is not working (think the users who have the irc port blocked by the firewall at work).
    3. I would like to be able to see the new soft-releases on the main page.

1. Yes. Maybe change buttons from up, maybe "Forum" button to "Screenshots" as there is already a link to forums right after the top10.
    2. Agree, should be fixed. Though I know it wasnt used very much.
    3. No need in my opinion, mos-news.de is there for this.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »09.02.07 - 16:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    The bounty system needs to work!

I've ben trying to set up a firewire bounty for some time now, but no one seems to be able to get it going on. Maybe I should call Targhan and see what's up.

I think a vital, active bounty system is key to expanding MorphOS in ways that don't just equal "porting things over from Linux." Linux does things in a fundamentally different way than MorphOS, I think more native, original MorphOS content would be a Good Thing (tm). I'm betting more coders would be into it if the bounty system were more efficient. Maybe it could get its own, non-Paypal (and its fees) escrow account? Perhaps with a 'MorphZone LLC' type of non-profit company posessing its own bank account.

Also, the downloads section could be reworked, maybe more of an Aminet-style interface-clean, uncluttered, to the point. Not saying anything negative about the current system, but MorphOS users are very used to Aminet's way and it works well.

Overall, though, MorphZone is an excellent resource, I do like how much more centralized it is, compared to Linux. There just doesn't seem to be the 'one place to go' for Linux like there is for MorphOS, and Sourceforge isn't as friendly for average users as Linux geeks like to think it is. Average users need something attractive, which as a whole, MorphZone is :-)

PS: I also like how MorphZone isn't full of ads and popups like other sites, that needs to be kept up!
  • »09.02.07 - 21:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi,

Enabeling uploads would be nice.

ATM I don't know where to upload ports (if I had one ready).

- MZ doesn't accept uploads.
    - Pegasosforum cleaned out it's stuff (and I think it is not interested in uploads any more - correct me if I'm wrong)
    - Aminet is down ATM

Bye HAK
  • »09.02.07 - 23:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    We are really pleased to see this much of a response. That is great any one or anything else?

• »09.02.07 - 23:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Duff
    Hi just started comin here iam keen to buy some hardware to run morphos on :) not sure if efika is really enough power for me hopefully peg3 will come out soon enough. I just cant belive the amiga's future like always comes down to no hardware to run the OS on seems crazy i think lots people would buy hardware and run morph os if there were. Beos is the closest thing ive found and enjoyed since back in the amiga days which i can run on my hardware being a pc lol anyway good luck Genesi bring us some hardware to buy thanks :)
  • »10.02.07 - 01:01
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Arkanoid
    I think a working Search function for this forum would be nice. :-)
    Amiga A1200/Blizzard 060/SCSI-Kit/OS 3.9
    Pegasos II/G4/512 MB RAM/Radeon 7500/MorphOS
  • »10.02.07 - 01:16
  • Targhan
    First of all.. W00T!

Okay, I know of a lot that needs to be done. Starting with cleaning house of some MySQL hiccups. Next, Ambient screenshots. I, as in me, want the google translator back. We need an engine update. Smaller, faster loading graphics. A cleaner design. The list goes one and on!

Oh, I need to catch Neko again for email junk (bleeeh).
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »10.02.07 - 04:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @uploads

We need to have a bit more bandwidth for such. We also need to make sure that any file-server is in the EU. Since certain cryptology used is used under EU licensing rather than US licensing. (Not to mention that most of our users are EU too!!!)

P.S.: sorry for the double post

• »10.02.07 - 05:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    We need Morphos 1.5 ;-)
    N'cha, LorD
    http://www.lordfpx.com/
  • »10.02.07 - 13:23
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    First of all, I love MorphZone, the way it is organized, the fact that it is nice to surf, doesn't have popups and similar... Targhan has done a very good job. But I know lately he had quite a lot of personal problems preventing him to follow the site the way he used to in the past: I think he would deserve some help in managing the site, giving some administrator rights to a couple of trusted people with the right competences (I couldn't be one of them for instance, because I never managed RunCMS or similar things).
    This way things like the Ambient gallery (which was simply great) or the bounty system could be restored even when Targhan himself is a bit overwhelmed. Which would make sense if this really is a community site, although I know that Genesi helped quite a lot, even economically, to keep it going.
    I don't think the bounty system is really so vital as Tronman thinks (it is indeed very good and important, but MorphOS wouldn't die without it), but a not working/not updated system is indeed deadly...
    Of course, the site can grow mainly with the help of the users: for instance all the news that have the slightest relationship with MorphOS should appear here (and on morphos-news.de) ASAP, and not just posted on other Amiga sites.
    I like the way morphos-news.de handles the downloads, if just also that site was kept more up to date, as it used to be, it would be perfect... I know it's really quite some work, I do it just once a week for an Italian site/ML, and I know you can't force anyone. After all it's just an hobby and not a work!

Overall, I share Tronman's opinion on the site. The forums are really helpful (well, because the users here really are), and if any newcomer has a question, he gets the answer straight to the point, with little to no OT chit-chat. Me, I'd only need a quick link to the various pages of a thread with more than 20 answers on the home page ;)

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »10.02.07 - 16:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I'll be setting up a new paypal account for the bounties later this weekend and try to make a donation button for it (Any help in the button, making it look cool would be a huge help) I am in a very fast moving class for the next two months and I also have a huge test to get ready for on monday. So we'll see where it all goes.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »10.02.07 - 16:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Quote:

1. Yes. Maybe change buttons from up, maybe "Forum" button to "Screenshots" as there is already a link to forums right after the top10.

Sorry to disagree - the visit forums link is a bit too small. If you remove the button then it's better if the link is made bigger.

Agree about a more prominent screenshots link though.

I also think the Tutorials section is starting to be a bit out of date. I would like to see some "Guide to Essential Software"; however, without knowing what features are included in MOS 1.5 this might change slightly.
  • »10.02.07 - 16:51
  • Targhan
    Firstly, Acill will be a tremendous help. (note: the button generator from the paypal site isn't that bad.) That in itself will help clear out some of my overhead with site-management.

Something that I've wanted to do for a longtime (and it may be put on the official MorphOS page rather than on MZ--but it needs to be somewhere) is a Version Tracker. Not anything fancy, not a "beta in development" tracker. A nice clean "this is the currently available and supported version" and a "current, unsupported, alternative version." This way, when the news announcements have filtered out everyone can still see if they are missing some version of Trance or what-so-have-you.

I vote for the tracker to be either shared or on a user-portal like morphzone, so that any interdependancies can be seen at a glance as well. (I.e., the new trance can list popular apps that require it, and the open-ambient stuff can be seen and compared as well.) Something of this nature would be very benefitial to everyone--including beta-testers who may have their system so overloaded with test versions that it is hard for them to lend a hand to Joe User.

Just my 2cents.

Oh yeah, I didn't know the search was broken. Aaaargh! There's something to go to the fix it list.

• »10.02.07 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    Dave, if you get this site going again and you start to get focused and make this work like it should we will send you *another* $1000 this month. Use the funds to get others working with you if needed!!!

Get Busy! 8-D

[ Edited by Genesi on 2007/2/10 19:37 ]
  • »10.02.07 - 19:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Seems like Genesi found a new investor ;)
    regards
    eliot
  • »10.02.07 - 19:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    No, the "investors" are the same.

It would be better to say a new customer.

We are taking that benefit and we are re-directing it to something we have never stopped believing in: MorphOS.

• »10.02.07 - 19:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @genesi

that's a will do. :-) Assuming I can get my hdd replaced today (insert long and *noisey* story here), this stuff is going to start rolling this weekend.

Dave

• »10.02.07 - 20:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    Quote:

- Pegasosforum cleaned out it's stuff (and I think it is not interested in uploads any more - correct me if I'm wrong)

I asked several times for download moderators but got zero replys so I stopped any further support in that way and dropped all the stuff that is already at Aminet. Thats it from my side.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »10.02.07 - 20:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    I'll see what I can do for uploads here shortly. I would naturally like to have uploads up and running. It may take a few days to figure out what will be the best way to handle it, but we will find a way for uploads again.

• »10.02.07 - 21:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    srbin
    @genesi

congratulations bbrv, it is really nice to see a move like you made. I must say that because of many mistakes i have seen here, i used to discuss about MOS on amigaworld.net and got burned down from some fanatic OS4 only users.
    But hey, i striked back 8-) 8-) Maybe a free efika for ppl like me? :-D :-D :-D

I would really like to see that forum search function to work properly, snapshots on main page and depot for mos progs on one place, here. I don't have any amiga right now, but as soon i make $200 i will buy efika (yes, in Serbia that's a load of money :cry: )

I know that is not the right topic to ask, but will there be some price dropdown? Just today on local Serbian station (yes, really) i heard a lot about efika and it was said the price might go down to $99!
    Can we espect some MOS review on ie. osnews.com?

And pleeeaasee... make some videos of mos on efika.

Once again, congratulations. You keep amiga spirit alive!
    May the force be with you. Don't let the dark side of PC take over you.
  • »10.02.07 - 22:00
    hooligan
    @MZ-staff

I can help in some areas if needed, post at MZ mod-forum if some mod wants helps.. for example approving news, files or anything.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »10.02.07 - 22:01
    Profile Visit Website