Reggae updated
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I've started this thread to inform you about Reggae updates. Due to its modular nature, Reggae will be updated frequently with small updates not worth bothering MZ admins with a news item. So every time I release some new/updated classes I will "pull-up" the thread with a new post instead of creating a new thread every time. Of course all coments, ideas, bugreports here are welcome.

So for the start: Reggae now recognizes a new picture format: Portable BitMap [*.pbm] with its both flavours: binary and text. Two new classes are responsible for it: netpbm.demuxer 51.2 (also prepared for demuxing PGM, PPM and PAM formats) and bitplane.decoder 51.2 converting bitplane data to ARGB32 (also prepared for decoding IFF ILBM images).

[read more] [archives] [MorphUp]
  • »29.08.06 - 10:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    This time update of audio.output to the version 51.5. I've fixed a bug, audio.otput object now rewinds the (seekable) stream after playing is finished after reaching stream end. Now this is a behaviour consistent with MMM_Stop, which rewinds the stream too. I've also documented explicitly, that MMM_Play issued while previous MMM_Play still plays is ignored. Updated class can be downloaded from the Reggae home page.

[read more] [archives] [MorphUp]

[ Edited by Krashan on 2006/10/27 12:35 ]
  • »26.10.06 - 17:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Reggae seems to be very well designed but unfortunately users can not fully enjoy because of the lack of applications taking advantage of it.
    Do you plan to develop such an application or do you know about applications in the making from other coders ?

Anyway thank you for your work.
  • »26.10.06 - 20:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Do you plan to develop such an application or do you know about applications in the making from other coders?

One of applications using Reggae is Sputnik. I know also of some developers using Reggae in their projects. The bug just fixed was discovered and reported by one of them. Time between the report and the fix was less than 24 hours, it means I really do my best to cooperate with developers. About writing apps myself - I only have time for small apps like DigiFilter and Reggae examples.
  • »26.10.06 - 21:15
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    I think Reggae *will* be a "standard", but it takes time. Remember MUI or MagicWB-icons... good things comes in the end ;-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »26.10.06 - 21:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Hi Krashan

Sorry about being pedantic, but PBM/PGM/PPM are collectively known as Portable aNyMap (PNM). If you support all 3 formats you should say you support PNM not PBM (PBM is for 2 colours per pixel, literally 1 bit).

The NetPBM history page is confused so it's quite understandable.

koan

(A long time PNM user).
  • »26.10.06 - 22:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    If you support all 3 formats you should say you support PNM not PBM (PBM is for 2 colours per pixel, literally 1 bit).

If I've written I support PBM, it means exactly what it means - I support PBM for now (P1 and P4, 1 bit per pixel). PGM and PPM support is yet to be done. Not very difficult of course, but takes some time. I guess I should know that PBM is 1 bit per pixel after writing a decoder for it, don't you think? :-)

But well, netpbm.demuxer is supposed to recognize and decompose headers of all the trio (bitmap, graymap and pixmap). So you suggest it should be named "netpnm.demuxer"? Looking at Wikipedia I've found that there is no article for "NetPNM", only in NetPBM article there is a note "Several applications refer to them collectively as the PNM format". The original package is called NetPBM, most of references too. Then I think NetPBM name refers to the set of formats (named separately as PBM, PGM and PPM (there is also PAM, which will be supported to)), and is more recognizable than NetPNM.
  • »27.10.06 - 06:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    I don't suggest "netpnm.demuxer". As I am sure you have read in your research, the original software was PBMplus and then followed by NetPBM. If you call it net-something then it should be PBM.

NetPBM documentation itself says The PNM format is just an abstraction of the PBM, PGM, and PPM formats. I.e. the name "PNM" refers collectively to PBM, PGM, and PPM. The NetPBM homepage was not written by the original author, Jef Poskanzer but this documentation was. IMHO NetPBM is a package of tools to deal with the PNM formats, therefore you support PNM and your plugin can be called netpbm.

Anyway, enough on that, let's talk about Reggae... :)
  • »27.10.06 - 09:24
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    I think Reggae *will* be a "standard", but it takes time. Remember MUI or MagicWB-icons... good things comes in the end ;-)

Or... datatypes... ;-)
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »27.10.06 - 22:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Krashan : I'm only a simple user, but I like Reggae and reggae's apps. I have a question : Could you make the new http.stream "compatible" with Weather ? Or does weather need to be rewritten/corrected ?

I know Weather is an app from Marcik, and I know he works hard on another project, so, if it needs to be rewritten, I'll wait :-)

Thank you for all.

--
    /me is a reggae's addict.
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »28.10.06 - 09:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    Weather needs to be corrected, as Reggae API has changed. It's a very simple change but I have lost sources of last released version and now i have only sources of work-in-progress version. I need to finish it first. But I lack motivation to do it (it think that Wetter by AmigaZeux is a better app anyway :-) ).
  • »28.10.06 - 10:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Marcik : I don't think so ;-) But I'll give it another chance. IMHO, Weather is more beautiful and simple (I put it on my background with goods MUI's prefs). Thank you for your fast answer.

--
    /me hopes to see a new version of Weather, one day maybe :-D
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »28.10.06 - 10:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    OFF TOPIC

Try WetterNG meanwhile.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »28.10.06 - 11:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    A new update for today. This time debug logging stuff. To minimize logging impact on performance, message filtering has been moved from MediaLogger to the Reggae itself. Unwanted messages are immediately rejected in MediaLog() library call and are never sent to MediaLogger. It speeds Reggae a bit up, especially if MediaLogger is not running or log level is set to 'none'. Update consists of new MediaLogger 1.6 and multimedia.class 52.1

[ Edited by Krashan on 2007/1/6 17:39 ]
  • »06.01.07 - 17:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    New sound format recognition and decoding has been added to Reggae, it is WAVE IMA/DVI ADPCM. A new class, ima-adpcm.decoder is able to handle 3-bit and 4-bit streams, up to 256 channels. The wave.demuxer has been updated with this new format recognition.

ima-adpcm.decoder 51.1
    wave.demuxer 51.5
  • »25.01.07 - 13:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Now is the time for a new image format. This time PGM (Portable GrayMap). To achieve this, netpbm.demuxer has been updated to recognize and process both binary and plaintext PGM images ("P2" and "P5" respectively). Grayscale data are properly rescaled, optionally ungamma-corrected and sent to a new class, videopcm.decoder which expands them to the common ARGB32 format. Note that 16-bit PGMs are not supported, I don't know if it is really needed (can be added however). BTW, you can expect PPM (Portable PixMap) and PAM support soon. Files are available on Reggae home page.
  • »27.01.07 - 20:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Available at http://teleinfo.pb.edu.pl/reggae

Highlights: RLE8 compression support for BMP images, better support for
    BMP images generated by broken savers, some bugfixes.

Detailed changelog:

netpbm.demuxer 51.5

- Fixed stupid bug in the recognition routine, initial 'P' was not checked and any byte there was accepted.

bmp.demuxer 51.6

- Added MMA_BlockAlign attribute (stream offset to pixmap data) used by bmp.decoder for workarounds for decoding buggy images.
    - Added missing OM_GET and MMM_GetPort entries to the dispatcher.
    - Implemented MMM_Seek().
    - Added MMA_StreamPosBytes attribute.
    - Recognition routine: if header filesize does not match filesystem filesize, does not set probability to 0. Allows lot of broken images to be accepted.

bmp.decoder 51.4

- Added workaround for buggy savers setting structure size field in the header to 0. 40 bytes is assumed in this case.
    - Fixed error reporting in Setup(), result of LoadData() is returned instead of TRUE.
    - All memory allocations are now done with MediaAllocVec().
    - Added workaround for images with shortened palette (only NumColors palette entries).
    - Added workaround for palette images with NumColors set to 0.
    - Added workaround for images having extra data after bitmap header or palette (forward seek to pixel data offset).
    - Added RLE8 decoder for compressed 8-bit images.

[ Edited by Kronos on 2007/2/2 16:02 ]
  • »02.02.07 - 10:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Available at http://teleinfo.pb.edu.pl/reggae

Highlights: Portable PixMap support.

Detailed changelog:

netpbm.demuxer

51.6 (02.02.2007)
    - Added PPM recognition and processing.
    - Added missing MMM_SetPort entry in the dispatcher.

videopcm.decoder

51.2 (02.02.2006)
    - Added support for MMF_VIDEO_RGB24.
  • »18.02.07 - 20:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    thanks for the updates Krashan.
    I wish there was more apps using Reggae, it is so promising. If only the few remaining MorphOS coders could use it i'm sure we'd have something really interesting. Is Reggae still supposed to be fully integrated into MorphOS 1.5 ?
  • »18.02.07 - 22:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Is Reggae still supposed to be fully integrated into MorphOS 1.5?

Yes. But it will stay 1.4 compatible until 1.5 goes public.
  • »19.02.07 - 06:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    There is a problem at http://teleinfo.pb.edu.pl/reggae/

"The requested URL /reggae/files/netpbm.demuxer-51.6.lha was not found on this server."