News at PPCZone
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

Hi Folks, there is a LOT happening and not enough time to do everything that needs to be done like posting here. Here are some details for you.

1. The EFIKA is delayed. You knew that. There are a few reasons. First, the 5200B had problems. It worked fine for what it was designed to do, but had trouble doing what we wanted it to do (which was more). We posted the specifics here. You can find the details if you search for them. That is not really that important now. The problems have been addressed and we have a great solution. In the meanwhile, RoHS compliance has wrecked havoc in the EU. Not just for us, but many others. Component suppliers are *not* all in Europe, consequently the speed at which they adopt to the Directive is an issue. Only in the last week have the 5200B RoHS compliant parts arrived at the office in Frankfurt. Thomas is pulling his hair out trying to round up the last components. It has been a challenge. The EFIKA is coming. There will be a non-compliant board and then later there will be a compliant board. That is the situation.

2. The Open Server Workstation has been a very interesting development. This will make a very powerful and attractive system. Here are a few words on the development. The southbridge function comes from two Broadcom parts, the HT-1000 and the HT-2000 (verses the nVIDIA part we planned to use - nVIDIA did not want to participate). The Broadcom parts also just arrived in Frankfurt this past week. We expect to produce the first samples by end of the first week of September. Then we will need to bring up the boards. This will take an undetermined amount of time from days to months. We have never worked with the 970MP or the the 945 so we can be confident but not all-knowing at this point. We will keep you posted. The "Pegasos III" is this board. The Open Server Workstation is the system. We should be shipping the machine well before the end of the year.

3. Rumors, etc.

a. There won't ever be a dual G4 card for the Pegasos. The northbridge cannot support it.

b. There may be a 7447A card upgrade. We *have* made a few. They work. The issue is simply supply and demand. Send us an email if you would upgrade one for 200 Euros. That is about what it costs to make. This would simply be a _take care of you users_ gesture. We would do it if there are enough of you. You will pay for the shipping! It does not make any sense to do this with the 7448. We have explained this before.

c. We do make bread. It is much easier than computers. We can send your the recipe if you want it!

Since its not a good thing speaking about amiga at ppczone, I post this here, so I hope we can speak freely here.

I want to know, what about morphos on the EFIKA? Perhaps it works using linux, but that is not interesting for me. My real motivation is morphos.
  • »28.08.06 - 14:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Since its not a good thing speaking about amiga at ppczone, I post this here, so I hope we can speak freely here.

it seems like some people have some difficulties to understand a few simple and logical things. I only retargeted this discussion on the right forum, it's not a matter of speaking freely or not.

Again, PPCZone is a forum for Linux, Polaris, AIX and other OSes on PPC platforms. This is not about censorship at all (was your post deleted on ppczone?) it's just about posting at the right place for the right audience (and by the way you'll get more amiga related audience here than at ppczone).

cheers
  • »28.08.06 - 14:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Having different points of view at PPCZone, seems a good idea to me. The first amiga-related post at PPCZone was, as you said, retargeted to this forum, so little plurality seems to be admited.

I can understand, people start getting pissed after three pages of amiga and morphos related discusion, but i can't understand this after the first post.
  • »28.08.06 - 15:06
  • Just looking around
    Markus_Bieler
    Any more details available? Speed? Productiondate etc.?
    :angel:
  • »28.08.06 - 22:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Which G4 will be on the CPU-Card 7447 or 7447A and what speed?
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »28.08.06 - 22:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @ThePlayer

7447A

dunno about speed, BBRV haven't answered that yet.
    probably between 1,4 and 1,7Ghz
  • »28.08.06 - 22:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Personally I'd rather spring for a new Pegasos III than upgrade the cpu card on my aging Pegasos 2. Of course,
    it would have to run MorphOS...

[ Edited by HammerD on 2006/8/28 22:14 ]
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »29.08.06 - 04:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Which G4 will be on the CPU-Card 7447 or 7447A and what speed?

Well, the post explicitly states 7447A. Speed? I don't know, but the 7447A's they did before was 1.4GHz.

But the interest seems to be moot? I mailed them yesterday, and here is the reply I got:

Quote:

Hi Stefan, you are #4.

That was just to let you know the response level.

R&B

Are you people not really interested in an upgraded and faster Pegasos? Four interested people in two days? Must be because of people doesn't know about it?

Come on, help spread the word (*and* the mail address: bbrv at genesi-usa dot com).
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »29.08.06 - 08:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    Personally I'd rather spring for a new Pegasos III than upgrade the cpu card on my aging Pegasos 2. Of course,
    it would have to run MorphOS...

[ Edited by HammerD on 2006/8/28 22:14 ]

A 7447A will.

The dual 970MP board is *a lot* less certain (both when it comes to actually arriving, *and* having MorphOS running on it if it does) ...

I really hope that the majority of the MorphOS people aren't thinking like this, because it could mean that the old 1GHz 7447 will be the fastest MorphOS can *ever* run on ...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »29.08.06 - 08:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    weiseb
    If its a passive cooled solution with >1 GHz I would consider it.
  • »29.08.06 - 08:28
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Donar
    So it seems people want to know more about the upgrade G4 card:
    Known:
    G4 7447A
    Price 200 Euro

Wanted:
    How much GHz?
    Can be passively cooled?

[ Edited by Donar on 2006/8/29 9:56 ]
  • »29.08.06 - 09:55
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    i got the information about a hour ago, and i have already sent them an email... hope there will be enough of us to get it for those 200 euros...

bye, MarK.
  • »29.08.06 - 10:24
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Not many of us read PPCZone (it crashes some Amiga browsers like voyager), and even morphzone is the wrong forum (low traffic) ... make it a news-item on amiga-news ann.lu and aw.net then you'll get higher rate I guess ...

I come here only once a week, and only once a month to ppczone ... but daily to amiga-news ...

But yes I would like to buy a new,faster card ! No update
    or upgrade ... just a new card ... sending money ... getting hardware.
  • »29.08.06 - 12:31
    Profile Visit Website