New HOME computer: Amiga?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I've just red the second most recent post in Bill Buck's and Requel Velasco's blog, called "Enemiga", and immediately had this wild thought: BBRV are mentioning, after a lot of time, the Amiga computer and, at the same time, their lawsuit with Amiga Inc, reminding us all that it's not over yet.
    Could it be that they will acquire rights over the Amiga brand, in order to build a "new" home computer, based in the Efika?

Remember home computers? There was a time in which computers were tailor made for home, not being business machines shoehorned to this role: Make common (young) people learn about computers, having fun in the process. As technology evolved, and the OEM forces (as good as they are) ruled out complete propietary solutions, everybody has a business computer at home, with a certain operating system that has the nasty habit of having everything integrated into it, so there's no sense of learning anything.
    So, that "wrong" trend got set in stone and nowadays, the term "home computer" is no longer recognized by anybody, and everyone believes that a regular PC is a good home computer.
    Home computers ruled the eighties, and they were simple machines with two main uses: Gaming and learning tools. I guess fun has been replaced by commodity.

Perhaps that post was only a preamble to their next post, in which they express a call to every possible "amigan" in order to work together and build something as a team.
    Opinions?
    Bored already? :-P
  • »08.05.06 - 16:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Enemiga = Enemy + Amiga ... not very clever to use this
    in bold letters and then ask for teamwork of all amigans ?
  • »08.05.06 - 16:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    The regular PC is good home computer. I have one from 1994 and it is faster, cheaper and less buggy than non-standard PC Amigas built by Commodore!

:-)
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »08.05.06 - 16:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Good thread on a lot of this over at AW.net
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »08.05.06 - 17:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

Enemiga = Enemy + Amiga

It is not that difficult. Amiga, was as simply as the spanish word for Female friend... Enemiga, is the spanish word for Female enemy... I think is as simple as the opposite of Amiga ;).
  • »08.05.06 - 23:57
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

amiades wrote:
    Quote:

Enemiga = Enemy + Amiga

It is not that difficult. Amiga, was as simply as the spanish word for Female friend... Enemiga, is the spanish word for Female enemy... I think is as simple as the opposite of Amiga ;).

And AmigaInc are the enemy of the amiga community.
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »09.05.06 - 03:00
    hooligan
    Did Bill already start his summervacation and have too much time on his hands.. as this reborn interest in Amiga surely aint going to be giving any flow of cashincome for Genesi.

Dig up a hole, throw the idea there and pack a ton of dirt on it.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »09.05.06 - 04:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

Robin wrote:
    Enemiga = Enemy + Amiga ... not very clever to use this
    in bold letters and then ask for teamwork of all amigans ?

Well...

It is only me who had the bad impression that

"Enemiga"

sounds too much closer to:

Enema + Amiga

???

:-o

Perhaps this could mean that BB&RV are about to do bad things with the Amiga butts and getting rid of it :-/ :-(
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »09.05.06 - 11:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    OH LOL! :-)

Sure BB&RV must had choosen another title for their topic...

This one has too much double meanings... :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »09.05.06 - 11:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    CLS2086
    An another explanation of Enemiga could be found in DC Comics and in "Batman the movie" with Jim Carrey's best performance in Edouard Nigma that become the evil Enigma :-D ....
    Keep the Faith !
    VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC-ATEO/1200+1230-IVFPUSCSI/CD32/Pegasos 1 April1 G3/Pegasos 2 G4/ Ahtlon/K6-3/various funny machines too :-)
    Maybe one day a G4 AmigaONE when they will be debugged and without April...
  • »10.05.06 - 09:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Replies have been very off topic since the start, so I guess that this is of no interest. But let me attempt to bring it up again...
    I assume that, given the proper, merely administrative, conditions, a new Amiga home computer could be built, based in the Efika. So, giving lawsuit for granted (ahem), hardware is no problem: It would be the standard board with the soldered video chip (by the way, does the Efika have onboard sound?).
    So the problem is, again, system and applications software: In order to be an Amiga, it should run an Amiga like operating system (MorphOS, of course). As for the main applications (you know: games), UAE could come in handy. Any estimations about how nicely would this emulator work in this 400 Mhz 603 core?
    All in all: Would this product be technically viable? I think that the commercial aspect could be guaranteed, look at the sales of the C64 DTV.
  • »10.05.06 - 16:21
  • Just looking around
    yes talk is cheap, bring me a modern and up to date machine like this or this or this capable of running amiga software and I will buy it.
  • »11.05.06 - 10:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @jrmarcos

There just inst market for anything like that. Games sell PC and consoles to home while MS Word is essential for the office use.

I think you could compare it to cars. Trying to market new car with nostalgia from 80s.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »11.05.06 - 11:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    I think you have right, that people should have home computers for home instead of office-centric pc's, but be honest to yourself: It's no market for that. It's sadly nowdays a dead-bored idea. :( There are no games for MOS (compared to pc), no educational programs (mathematica, mathlab, etc), even an usable web-browser. And I think no one wants a slow and old machine for home for more money than the fast and well-supported pcs.
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »11.05.06 - 11:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

GK_LKA wrote:
    I think you have right, that people should have home computers for home instead of office-centric pc's,

Thankyou for sahring my view. I'm very outdated, to be fair...
    Quote:

but be honest to yourself: It's no market for that.

Then, what explains the sales of the C64 DTV? I don't have figures at hand, but, if it has been mass produced, there should be a reason. Jeri's hardware emulator is not burnt into a FPGA, it's an ASIC, manufactured only for this purpose!
    Quote:

It's sadly nowdays a dead-bored idea.

It is, of course. But, do you really think that nobody would buy an "Amiga DTV", packed full of good old games, at... erm... $100?
    It would have a TV connection, thanks to Efika's built in video abilities. It would have just USB connections, and should come with a cheap gamepad. I think a couple of GB would suffice for its ROM (system+games).
    The C64 DTV had initially much less interest (Amiga sounds bigger than C-64), and was a much harder technical challenge (it's hardware, not software emulation). Eventhough, it was marketed.
  • »11.05.06 - 12:00