How about this?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    Gorgeous..! Even being only a concept, it's still gorgeous :-)
  • »29.04.06 - 18:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    It looks great, but i am not so sure how I feel about. Tablet PCs. It seems like they are a dead end. I think an ultra portable machine with keyboard and track pad would be a much better idea.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »29.04.06 - 19:24
    Profile Visit Website
    eliot
    Looks cool!

But what about Mos1.5, and also there are no
    new and faster CPU cards, so what about a Peg3??

Sorry,you show us enough dreams, but no
    new products which are for sale :(

Enough bla bla for me at the moment, just
    want to see results, ...
    regards
    eliot
  • »30.04.06 - 08:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Enough bla bla for me at the moment, just
    want to see results, ...

oh gosh Bill, your new financier is pretty rude ! lol
  • »30.04.06 - 08:26
    bbrv
    @eliot - surviving is dream enough for now (and for the last three years). If you cannot survive as a Company, you cannot even begin to think about new products much less dream about a better world or whatever.

There are a couple of things to think about.

1. Freescale left general purpose host processing. Did you ever read this blog:

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/02/empowerment.html

It is hard enough to introduce a new computer platform, but when the CPU supplier does not even consider the market and all our effort as not even a blip on their P&L, you know you are in for a challenge. This was also the case with the Pegasos I and IBM. IBM thought we were crazy to try to promote a CHRP 750CXe platform and even told us that in the summer of 2003. The *only* reason we were able to keep going with Freescale is because the 5200B meets a minimum requirement and comes from a *different* part of Freescale. The CPU was designed to address a different market (automotive). Otherwise, it was/would have been game over. Did you ever read this:

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2005/12/every-developer-needs-desktop.html

Freescale does not care about the home based developer. Freescale only thinks to their top customers. You have to understand that you are not a market to them. Nevertheless, we did manage to convince the TSPG part (vs. NCSG - see first blog) that MorphOS should be something they consider - and now they have: PPCG40006 and mobileGT Press Release. These are your proof-points that the value is being re-created for MorphOS. This is not easy to do given the past and all the derogatory information still on the net.

2. We already mentioned why the 7448 was not a possibility for the Pegasos. If the CPU had met the specs originally announced at EuroSNDF there might have been some hope, but sadly the final product (which was not delivered until February of 2006!) was not even close. The 7447A is not much better. We have made CPU cards with the 7447A. How many should we make? Try this math out:

500 users would probably buy a 7447A upgrade at $250. It costs us $220 to make them. That would make a 500 x $30 profit (and there are actually other expenses to think about). $15,000 is not enough to pay our current software and marketing staff for one month. If we raised the price to $350 we would probably sell 100 - maybe. See the problem.

3. The good new news is that IBM is interested in Genesi because IBM is interested in growing the POWER based ecosystem. To be honest, we have never had a better opportunity. Did you read this:

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/04/transmutation.html

That is the *only* reason Genesi is still alive today. Aren't you happy you still have some one to complain to? :-x

In the next few weeks, we will determine whether Genesi has a future or not.

R&B 8-)
  • »30.04.06 - 10:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    Let me add this to what Raquel said...

You can send us as much money as you want! How about $25000 to fund the production, distribution and marketing of 100 units and we will split the profits with you! If you are *lucky* you might see a return (of capital not ROI) in four to five months. Of course, the profits won't cover your investment so we will need more to keep going and trying to do it over and over again (which is what we have been doing for the last three years). In the meanwhile, if you are not willing to do this, you will just have to be patient or try some new hardware (and OS).

Alternatively, you could help us think of something new?! You could actually assist us by brainstorming online with us about the genesibook or whatever we care enough to blog about. That is the point of the blog and these posts - to engage the reader to participate and we need all the help we can get!

R&B :-)
  • »30.04.06 - 10:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I for one happen to think that this prototype looks very interesting.
    Both as something I'd like to have myself, and because I think it may
    become popular in a few years (it's too early right now, but of course
    you have to think ahead).

You'd definitely need some kind of partnership so that you can offer a
    good pack of GPS linked map services etc.

But I do understand if most MOS people are not too excited. I just
    think we have to be happy that bPlan/Genesi got us the Peg 2 for
    desktop usage. With Apple gone we just won't find any dedicated PPC
    desktop machines anymore, at least that's what I think. We'll either
    have to ditch PPC or cling on with some non-desktop oriented machines.
  • »30.04.06 - 10:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    ...maybe if there is a genesibook your Master's Thesis effort might come in handy. Did you go to PUSH?

R&B :-)
  • »30.04.06 - 11:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Yea, I'm actually taking up development again. Haven't really had the
    motivation to get some "useful" public version out, mainly because it
    wouldn't be very useful anyway (it's rather counter-intuitive to use
    these things with a tablet imo, it can be learned without too much
    effort, but would be much more natural on a touchscreen - and when
    you have a keyboard, it's pointless anyway).

Didn't go to PUSH yet, I guess I'll stop by today tho.

Anyway, I'd definitely want GPS for something like this. And here's an
    idea of what I think will definitely happen soon (if it didn't already
    begin and I just missed it):

Some "GPS-Wiki" system will be invented, where anyone on the internet
    can add or modify entries about particular locations. Add your
    favourite bar or restaurant - or rate it. Soon enough we will be able
    to find not only McBurger on the GPS maps, but every little kebab shop
    and café. And I think in only 10 years, it will be standard procedure
    to check the GPS-Wiki for ratings before going to a restaurant,
    especially when you're out of town. Rip-off tourist traps, beware!

[ Edited by merko on 2006/4/30 12:54 ]
  • »30.04.06 - 11:53
    serge
    @ Genesi:

My dream was always an ECLIPSIS.

I would like to have a little Morphos assistant.

Your Genesibook seems to be nice, but if it doesn't run Morphos, I dont know the interest to build a device wich will be the same like undred of other tablePC wich can run Linux and windows.

Will Morphos be supported on it?
    If the answer is YES and the size is similar to a little laptop, you can be sure, I bought on GenesiBook for me.
  • »30.04.06 - 12:30
    gunne
    Hi,

I think the feedback in this thread, and in all other threads also shows just one thing, that the interest, and what people are curios about is MorphOS.

With MorphOS the biggest problem is that it not is a enough compatible browser to use for webbrowsing with web pages of today.
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »30.04.06 - 13:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Hehe, this would be my dream map solution if it would have GPS, 3G and WiFi and - GoogleMaps. What about a full-featured, fullscreen GoogleMaps? I think Google is interested in it too.

For MOS: I think it's pointless. MOS even not supports the whole Pegasos II mainboard, how could it support touchscreens and extreme video/networking cards, infra-red keyboards etc? :(
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »30.04.06 - 13:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

gunne wrote:
    Hi,

I think the feedback in this thread, and in all other threads also shows just one thing, that the interest, and what people are curios about is MorphOS.

With MorphOS the biggest problem is that it not is a enough compatible browser to use for webbrowsing with web pages of today.

Well sure, why wouldnt it be? This is a MorphOS site after all with most if not all of us being MorphOS users. We all want to see something new from the MorphOS team. Lets hope we get at least one more big release before things start to die out.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »30.04.06 - 14:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
    @ BBRV

Have you thought about paying for a port of AOS4 for the Pegasos? I know their consept is really stuped but I cant help beleave it would bring you some cash. I guess you would sell at least 1000 pegasos mobos and also get a lot of publisity!
    There are a lot of amiga freaks who are very eager for hardware for AOS4 and they are the only crowd in the world paying more money for less speed.
    Take advantage of the desperados! It might be good business!
  • »01.05.06 - 17:21
    hooligan
    Quote:

Have you thought about paying for a port of AOS4 for the Pegasos? I know their consept is really stuped but I cant help beleave it would bring you some cash. I guess you would sell at least 1000 pegasos mobos and also get a lot of publisity!

.. and with my magicstick I shall awake you from your everlasting dream...

pay for a port.. 1000 sold Pegas. Start from 100 sold mobos, and from that deduct the necessary costs of the port, manufacturing etc.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »01.05.06 - 17:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @dolen

If they have money to buy $850 CPU cards they should have money to fund/donate OS4 port too.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »01.05.06 - 18:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ Dolen

LOL - ever tried to deal with AI? No? Well that is some fun - some
    weird fun at least...

@BBRV

Such a device is also on my radar (see my ppzone.org projects)... But
    it raises and falls (2 some extent) with MOS support - i.e. with MOS
    it'll rock w/o it will be reasonable (but no "killer").
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »01.05.06 - 19:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    nice project ! but i've always been a bit sceptical about tablet devices and i guess i'm not the only one regarding the constant failure that the tablet devices had in the past. It was pushed by Microsoft and other who always thought that it would be a success but the market wasn't really ready for it. I think it's still not ready for this kind of devices. If i was Genesi i'd better consolidate my shares and not take any risk with a technology that was proven unwanted by the market untill now. I also think that the Efika board isn't powerful enough to make an attractive tablet product. Unless it's a very low cost one.

just my humble opinion.
  • »01.05.06 - 20:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    bbrv

Looks like a nice concept design, but I must agree with Acill about "tablet pcs" Consumers have voted on this one already....

However, I do feel you are going in the right direction with video conferncing, even though some of the majors are now hitting the market with solutions, if you can provide a solution that is innovative, stylish, trouble free, and low cost you may have a chance. I really like the idea of a semi-permanent wall mount (vesa mount complaint) tablet type communication device.

Built in mic and camera (hi res) for video conferencing, media card reader so people can watch mpg and divx video, display digital photos (so that when its not in use as video device it can be a digital Pictureframe on the wall) and VOIP functionality. Also IR remote control for all of these features.

It would have to be simple to use and not "geeky" or "techy" - though should be hackable ;-) You would have a consumer product on your hands. Unfortunately, i'm sure all the big electronic companies have protos of this type of thing already, and how can you compete with them? There would really need to be some "out of the box" thinking and serious forward design - something that hasnt been thought of or implemented yet.

magnetic

PS I would have thought that by now Freescale would want to help fund and develop products with you guys. Especially in light of all the money then now have with their sky high stock price!
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »01.05.06 - 20:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    We may post a blog later this week about all this discussion. We appreciate the comments here.

R&B :-D
  • »01.05.06 - 22:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Snuffy
    Hi Acill

-> I think an ultra portable machine with keyboard and track pad would be
    -> a much better idea.

You mean this system isn't completely touch screen input? I go to the
    supermarket and all the terminals are 'touch' screen keyboards. Nothing like that ay?
  • »02.05.06 - 21:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Well.. I believe in a "general portable digital device" thingy. I
    think it's wrong to claim that the market isn't ready.. more likely
    the tech isn't ready for market yet.

I think it will be a hit when someone can make an affordable device with:
    - About 8-10" display
    - Durable and replaceable plastic display protection layer (it will get scratched, better face this problem)
    - Connectivity over phone network or local wireless
    - Web browser adapted for touchscreen input
    - Voice and video phone features (not necessarily very good video capabilities)
    - TV/radio receiver and display
    - Ability to store and play back movies as well as music (dedicated decoder chip)
    - Dual headphone connectors (for friends or partners killing time on the bus/train/plane)
    - Headset included as standard, as phone usage will be very clumsy without one
    - Well thought out software for calendar and note keeping
    - Easy-to-use voice memo / sound recording app
    - Good pen-based input, mainly for email/text messaging and calendar/note keeping (keyboards rule when you have a table, but mini-keyboards suck and especially so when you *don't* have a table)
    - Good battery time
    - USB for charging and file transfer, and to make it possible to attach mouse and keyboard if available
    - Some games (mainly of the "timekiller" variation)
    - GPS
    - Map services

It seems to me that such a device should be technically possible rather
    sooner than later, but of course there's no way Genesi could do it without
    a very strong partner. Probably some major cell phone maker, for two
    reasons: manufacture is likely to be more similar (ultra compact,
    moldable batteries etc..) to cell phones than portables, and because
    it will require a strong partnership for services in the mobile area.

With this said, I'm a bit doubtful that something based on the Efika would
    be a success.
  • »02.05.06 - 22:03
    hooligan
    What you just descriped seems to be pretty much a modern gms phone :-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »03.05.06 - 04:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Sure, it's much closer to any cell phone than any computer, at least.
  • »03.05.06 - 10:26