Native AROS on Peg bounty
  • Just looking around
    michalsc
    Hello.

Would any of you be interested in "Native AROS on Pegasos" bounty?
  • »27.03.06 - 09:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    nope

I don't see what AROS could bring on Pegasos when we already have MorphOS rocking the place.
  • »27.03.06 - 09:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I will be interested, too bad I can't donate. I offer testing on Pegasos2 and help with AltiVec enabling of course :-).
  • »27.03.06 - 09:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MaaG
    I waiting for AROS on PegI/II too...
  • »27.03.06 - 10:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    It will be nice to see native aros on pegasos... Maybe mosemu someone add and... Mosteam will be happy nobody will ask him for new morphos version, they will create new versions for mosteam people only and finally they will be happy....
    Kaczus/BlaBla & AUG-Lodz Happy Pegasos User
  • »27.03.06 - 10:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    The AROS-PPC API should be the MorphOS one, not a custom AROS one (why use a custom one when AROS PPC lacks apps?)

I think that the mosemu would be nice but it would be even cooler if the API was exactly the same so binaries ran directly.
  • »27.03.06 - 10:13
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    @michalsc

Would it support also Pegasos1 or would it be limited to PegasosII?

[ Edited by Crumb on 2006/3/27 10:14 ]
  • »27.03.06 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    michalsc
    @Crumb:

It would run on both (I have only P1, but the parts of kernel I already wrote few years ago do work on P2)
  • »27.03.06 - 10:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Kamul
    > Would any of you be interested in "Native AROS on Pegasos" bounty?

I'm interested in native AROS on Pegasos. But ufortunately, probably I won't donate in the nearest future... :/

Anyway, good luck! I hope one time AROS for Peg will born. :)
  • »27.03.06 - 12:23
  • Just looking around
    As You know I'm interested :)
    FOrest
  • »27.03.06 - 12:30
    Crumb
    @michalsc

nice!

I'm still curious about the reason MOS executables can't run directly on AROS. AROS PPC should adopt MOS API instead of using wrappers like os4emu.
  • »27.03.06 - 14:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    michalsc
    @Crumb

Should it really adopt it's API and ABI? For what sake? if you would like to have the ability to run MOS software on AROS PPC and vice versa, we would have to provide a *full* compatibility.

No, IMHO the mosemu solution (a plain wrapper which does not cause any noticable slowdown) is better solution.
  • »27.03.06 - 14:50
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    @michalsc

I'd instantly donate 50 Euro if you'd continue to work on that.

Plus adding more to my initial donation for the MorphOS-wrapper bounty in case someone would actually take on it once a native Pegasos version would exist.
  • »27.03.06 - 16:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I'm all for it as long as the goal would include native MorphOS application support as well as AROS applications. I've heard a lot of what makes up MorphOS is in AROS as well now.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »27.03.06 - 23:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    IIRC AROS developers got a free Pegasos (ODW?) to get their thing going on it and till now nothing came out of it. Besides that, what would be the point in having AROS on Pegasos? Can't be all those cool applications available, can it?
  • »28.03.06 - 06:26
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    It's about the future, not the current state. Can't hurt to support that open-source approach, AROS, in parallel, too - who knows what might happen to MorphOS someday. Especially since they're back to being "just" a hobby OS as well.

And supporting AROS/PPC by bringing it to the Pegasos natively and implementing a wrapper for MorphOS applications can only be useful for pushing AROS further, making it easier for current 3rd party MorphOS developers to compile their stuff for AROS as well.
  • »28.03.06 - 08:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Another useless bounty? I think we already have a very nice OS, why should we pay money for a less usable and more beta OS to port for our computer? I think improving MorphOS is _much_ important.
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »28.03.06 - 08:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    MorphOS is dead. MorphOS-team kill MOS...

[ Edited by Kaczus on 2006/3/28 10:00 ]
  • »28.03.06 - 09:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

I don't see what AROS could bring on Pegasos when we already have MorphOS rocking the place.

Light ?

I mean: no one know where is MorphOS going, nor if the kernel is still being developped. Each member seems to be keeping his parts of MorphOS and developping/releasing when he wants to...

I am not particularly interested into AROS today but one thing is sure: AROS is open, and you know what is being implemented, and where it is going. This is not the case of (core) MorphOS.

Not to mention AROS is and should remain FREE. Who knows what will happen to MorphOS (if something ever happens :)) ?

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2006/3/28 8:59 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »28.03.06 - 10:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

MorphOS is dead. MorphOS-team kill MOS...

Does it mean you can not get anymore your weekly warez release and monitor all progress ?
    Sad...
  • »28.03.06 - 11:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    It means, that some people loose his morphos projects, because they don't see the future. No information about progress, no information about support new hw.
  • »28.03.06 - 11:22
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    Quote:

Senex wrote:
    It's about the future, not the current state. Can't hurt to support that open-source approach, AROS, in parallel, too - who knows what might happen to MorphOS someday. Especially since they're back to being "just" a hobby OS as well.

Yeah, supporting AROS might make some sense in general. Can't see this though on a platform that sold less than 2000 times and already has an Amiga-like OS that goes far beyond AROS' 3.1-compatible goals. Maybe supporting MorphOS developers via some $$$ might be a better idea?

Quote:

And supporting AROS/PPC by bringing it to the Pegasos natively and implementing a wrapper for MorphOS applications can only be useful for pushing AROS further, making it easier for current 3rd party MorphOS developers to compile their stuff for AROS as well.

Again, what's the point in supporting AROS on PPC, when there's already MorphOS. MorphOS' future is not that uncertain as you make it sound like. The only point I can see is pushing AROS application portfolio (on PPC that is) with this (AROS X86 side will remain as unsupported as it is now). I doubt it will get any more attractive for the general user though.

Supporting AROS directly via AROS bounties on the AROS site (being platform unspecific) probably is the better the approach to get it to a useable state.
  • »28.03.06 - 11:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    Quote:

Maybe supporting MorphOS developers via some $$$ might be a better idea?

Well, many MorphOS users offered repeatedly to pay for MorphOS 1.5 in some way (e.g. by implementing the SkyOS model). But so far there is no possibility to do so.

So all MorphOS-Team would have to do is setting up a proper bounty description for "Project 1.5" (features to be implemented, estimated time-line, etc.) and we'd start donating, no problem.

Quote:

The only point I can see is pushing AROS application portfolio (on PPC that is)

Of course it would just have a limited impact, but would be at least a little step ahead. You know, it's not like there would be that many Amiga developers at all anymore, they have become a rare treasure.

So gaining a handful MorphOS developers to become interested in AROS, too, thanks to an easy way of compiling and testing natively on their local Pegasos would already be a nice benefit. Especially if the wrapper would allow their MorphOS applications to run on AROS as well with small or even no changes at all.
  • »28.03.06 - 12:47
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    I like the idea of an AROS on Pegasos bounty. I think Genesi was already supporting AROS by sending them a Pegasos? I like the idea of a bounty and would contribute a little to it, but I don't think that bounty should be listed here at MZ. It should be over at the AROS bounty site. The bounties here should be for Morphos only.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »29.03.06 - 13:28