The upcoming "ODW 2" - what's your thoughts?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Regarding the upcoming "ODW 2", the two board in one case solution mentioned at power.org (you all *have* registered at power.org, haven't you? ;-)), what do you think about that?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.12.05 - 10:26
    Senex
    Quote:

what do you think about that?

That it's quite strange for an Open Desktop Workstation...
  • »05.12.05 - 10:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Regarding the upcoming "ODW 2", the two board in one case solution mentioned at power.org (you all *have* registered at power.org, haven't you? ;-)), what do you think about that?

Well, Dual-PPC Pegasos was advertised since day 1. Maybe that is their solution?

As you seem to be vice information minister of Genesi, any info on CPU upgrade cards?

[ Edited by Gelb on 2005/12/5 22:03 ]
  • »05.12.05 - 11:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Senex wrote:
    Quote:

what do you think about that?

That it's quite strange for an Open Desktop Workstation...

Wonder how it will be done in practice ...
  • »05.12.05 - 11:06
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Jonny_Rico
    I hope it will have USB2
  • »05.12.05 - 11:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

I hope it will have USB2

Don't the newer ODW's already have USB2 PCI card as standard?

They don't cost much separately anyway...
  • »05.12.05 - 11:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Gelb wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Well, Dual-PPC Pegasos was advertised since day 1. Maybe that is their solution?

I think it's more down to cost efficiency. The workstation is made of the blades (Tundra TSI108 + 2x MPC7448 @ 1GHz AFAIK) plus the Efika 5k2 for I/O and graphics. I think they are focusing their resourses on producing *these* devices from now on, and this new ODW will be a way of upgrading the computational power of the ODW while at the same time improving economy of scale for all products involved.

But I agree with Senex. I feel this is a little odd, and it will be interesting to see what (if anything) comes out of this in the end ...

Quote:

As you seem to be vice information minister of Genesi, any info on CPU upgrade cards?

You are flattering me, I am merely an *apprentice* to the great Bagdad Bob! 8-)

Nah, reading the forums with magnifying glass and putting 1+1 together (on a regular basis I manage to add it upp to 3 or something else though ;-)).

From doing that, I dare to say that:
    1. The firmware has already been made ready for the 7447A and 7448, much thanks to the Freescale HPC 1&2 boards. It works!
    2. The CPU cards themselves was produced in prototype, and works. What they have been waiting for is shipment of production level 7448's in quantity.
    3. Those 7448's have been at b-plan since the beginning of November.

As it seems, it's the blade server that is first in line, although it shouldn't be *impossible* to launch several things at once, but the blade server would probably require a great deal of resources put into marketing if it should have any realistic chance of taking off quickly. The blade is said to come "in days and weeks, not weeks and months".

I would be a bit disappointed if no 7448 card for the Pegasos turned up before Christmas. 20 days, and counting.

Another thing, Neko said somewhere that they now have a 100% passive cooler. Wonder if that will work on a 1.7GHz CPU, or only at 1GHz?
  • »05.12.05 - 12:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    @Gelb

"vice minister of information"

LOL

Who is the prime minister Condi Rice??

:-D

I will register at power.org as should everyone here as i'm sure it looks good for genesi.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »05.12.05 - 17:18
    Profile Visit Website