bplan service
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Hi MorphOS folks,

I would like to say a big THANKS to the bplan guys in oberusel, here at this place.

Some of you know that some time ago my 2 PegasosII broke. There was a short circuit between the AGP slot and the gfx card on the first Peg. I thought just the cpu card died and exchanged it with the CPU card of my second Peg2 which killed that card for some reason.

Anyway, as you can imagine it was quite a supergau for me. I send the boards to bplan and got the first one back after just one week and had a working system again. The second needed a little bit longer (but there was no hurry anymore).

Took me a while until I found time to build up the second one after I got it back (had to wait for a new gfx card), but now this system is running stable since a week too. :-)

In the whole process there was no useless bureaucray involved, just fast and friendly service! Everything got repaired or replaced where necessary. Both thumbs up for this! As we even can see on bplans direct competition such professional behaviour is no matter of course anymore these days, so this deserves all my respect, also considering the fact that bplan is still a pretty small company.

tokai

[ Edited by tokai on 2005/5/24 17:33 ]
  • »24.05.05 - 17:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    dubble

[ Edited by GMKai on 2005/5/24 18:59 ]
  • »24.05.05 - 18:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    first of all congrats to you.
    and big thanks to bplan. where would mos be without tokai?
    it is really great to hear such a story.

but to give a little contrast to it, i'd like to let you know that i was not satisfied with support given by phase5 back in the days of blizzppc ( even if one shouldn't, i more or less assume that p5 and bplan are more or less the "same company" with some of the guys of p5).
    i sent them my card several times because of defect flashrom, which broke real fast after return of the card. they told me the reason was a virus. but another card in the same system worked fine and had no bad effect.
    the worst was that i had to pay a lot of money to let p5 reflash my blizzppc and that happened several times. and p5 was not as fast as bplan seems to be nowadays.
  • »24.05.05 - 18:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Good to hear Tokai! Was any charge made for the work done? Is so how much was it?
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »24.05.05 - 19:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @GMKai:

I don't think you should assume bplan == phase5. Phase5 had a completly different management, just because the bplan ppl share a phase5 heritage (from technical point of view) it does not mean these are the same companies.

@Acill:

No, nothing in my case (prolly depends on what breaks and so on). I only paid the delivery to bplan, thats all.

regards,
    tokai

[ Edited by tokai on 2005/5/24 19:45 ]
  • »24.05.05 - 19:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    Ok then, here's my (rather long) story too :-)

On 05-Jan-2005 I was brave enough to replace the fan on my Peg2/G4 CPU card, because the old one made some weird noises. So I removed the old one, mounted the new one, made sure it was properly seated on the actual CPU and switched on the Peg and ...

everything worked! ?-)

... but just for a few minutes. Then the PSU switched on its brain and switched off itself. Switching the Peg on again did nothing, so I waited a couple minutes and tried again. This time the Peg worked again for a couple of minutes and then the PSU did it's marvelous job of selfdestruct-prevention again. As my Peg was still opened from the CPU-card-rip-out-replace-fan-and-put-back operation I was able to see the rare beauty of a glowing component on the CPU card when I tried for the 3rd time - The nice PSU failed to do its job this time!

I then sent a mail to bplan on the same day describing what I did and asking what I should do. Got the reply the next day (06-Jan-2005) describing in detail what the possible fault was and where to send the CPU card to.

So on 07-Jan-2005 the card was going out to bplan. The weekend passed, monday passed and on tuesday (11-Jan-2005) the card came back fixed together with my old/new fan mounted and a new fan from bplan in the package.

In conclusion: Bplan did a great job in repairing and sending the card back in basically no time (2 days lost by the card being delivered and a weekend inbetween). I'm still blown away by the speed all this was handled. Thank you bplan! :-)

[ Edited by Gelb on 2005/5/24 23:15 ]
  • »24.05.05 - 20:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Phase5 is out of business. Yes, the bplan guys were former Phase5 but the guy who was responsible for alot of probs (Wolf Detriech ??) is not involved.

When companies bankrupt you cant go after former workers/partners when they start new companies for the former companies problems..

Bplan are great guys and care abou us and the community.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »25.05.05 - 00:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    these are really great news, last time when i had troubles with my ppc product, it was a dead blizzardppc card... i sent it to phase5, during few months phase5 bancrupted, and i got my fixed card back (from dce?) 9 months later... that was really hard times... but this is something completely wonderful :-D keep up the great work guys!

bye, MarK.
  • »25.05.05 - 06:16
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Maurix
    Yep for me 100% t´hanx to Bplan they allways help me a lot in the begining of my Morphos Trip..also i have send them 2 512 MB memory sticks and they send me a 1GIG back ...
    special thanx to Mr Karda ;:;;#

maurix
  • »26.05.05 - 12:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    my girlfriend had a problem with her massive hairdryer and Bplan fixed it. Same for my electric shaver, they flashed the firmware and now it's a laser-shaver !
    amazing guys there.
  • »27.05.05 - 13:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It took 14 days to get my PII repaired, that includes the time it took to send it from Poland to Germany and back to Poland.
  • »27.05.05 - 14:26
    Profile Visit Website
    Robin
    Special thanks to bplan from me,too ;-)
    I never had to have my two Pegs fixed !!!
  • »27.05.05 - 15:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    You're all very lucky. When my Pegasos II died back in july 2004 it was away for almost a half year, got it back in december 2004. :(

[ Edited by Toto on 2005/5/27 15:21 ]
  • »27.05.05 - 15:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Toto

well, you may have caught them at a bad time. Its a small operation and sometimes things get put on the backburner. But hey, at least you got a nice free repair ;-)

magnetic

ps.. Bplan if you see this how is my Peg repair coming please?
  • »27.05.05 - 16:49
    Profile Visit Website
    MarK
    is there a way to ask bPlan, if they are operative and how long time should such a service take? this would be really cool! :-)

bye, MarK.
  • »27.05.05 - 17:11
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    alfie
    I am really glad to have a mobo that might be repaired by whome that made it in such a short time, what I found scaring is how many pegs needed to be repaired here ;)

alfie
  • »27.05.05 - 17:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    @magnetic

I ain't complaining :D I got it back just in time, a new MorphOS was released at that time and I had a bunch of programms to install wich I already had dowloaded.
  • »27.05.05 - 19:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    My ODW CPU card died and got it repaired within a few weeks.

Thanks bPlan.
  • »27.05.05 - 19:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I don't think it depends on whether they are 'cooperative' or not
    (although of course they are more busy some periods than others) but
    more on what the fault is.

I think it's clear that the failure rate, even for the Peg 2, is
    higher than it would need to be, but that's to be expected for such an
    early product. Also I don't think it helps that the users typically
    consider themselves experts and therefore do all kinds of weird and
    harmful things to their hardware, that normal people with more
    realistic impressions of their computer hardware skills would never
    attempt. :-P

Anyway, if just the CPU card/slot could be improved a bit, I'm sure
    the failure rate would go down a lot. I think even just a small hole
    in the motherboard close to the base of the slot, and some sort of
    plastic hook to keep the card pressed down, would save many Pegs.
  • »28.05.05 - 13:14
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    todi
    Now it's my turn to thank bplan!

Although it took about 3 weeks, I am still happy with their performance. After my Pegasos 2 started to fail with RAM errors shortly after turning on and various other RAM bars didn't work either, I returned it to bplan and got a brand new MB back. Even though they couldn't find any failure in the old board! Thumbs up 8-)

Btw. the new one is perfectly working with the old RAM.

[ Edited by todi on 2005/6/18 19:44 ]
    ToDi

amigazeux.org
  • »18.06.05 - 19:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    <>

I am retracting the last post. I think bplan mis-interpreted what I was saying. I wasnt saying it is their fault - it was tied up in customs due to my mistake in mailing. Bplan also picked up the customs fees and shipping (as usual) their support for the Pegasos community is truly unheard of and specatular.

Thank you Thomas and Gerald
    magnetic

[ Edited by magnetic on 2005/6/19 17:15 ]
  • »18.06.05 - 20:33
    Profile Visit Website