USB2.0 support for MorphOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    When will be USB2.0 support for MOS available?

Good morning, it is 2005, and an average photo size on my digital camera is 2MB. I want to watch films with my PDA (= I have to copy lots of MB's over USB). Copying films and photos take much time... I have a 2.0 USB PCI card for over 3 months... I'm very tired, that these simple operations are so slow...
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »09.05.05 - 10:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    aliem
    I think: When Poseidon guy will update his software

I hope it will be done soon :-)

[ Edited by aliem on 2005/5/9 11:12 ]
  • »09.05.05 - 17:12
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    I am not sure if the Poseidon guy is responsable for the MOS EHCI driver - as far as I know the UHCI driver was done by Frank Mariak, the CGX guy. So ask him for an update... and pleas post his reply here ;-)
  • »09.05.05 - 19:30
  • Targhan
    This would also require an USB 2.0 card, but I would buy one if I were to be able to use USB 2.0 high speed devices.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »09.05.05 - 19:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I don't think it's the style of the MOS team to talk a lot about
    things they don't know yet. Presumably they do want USB 2.0 at some
    point, but how would it help you if they said it will be released in
    version X.Y.Z? We still don't know when X.Y.Z will get released. I'm
    sure when the MOS team feel that they can give a date that they are
    confident they can live up to, they will tell us. Meanwhile, we'll
    have to use what we have.
  • »09.05.05 - 19:49
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Another solution would be the use of ArakAttack, but as OpenPCI.library is buggy as hell (well, erm, at least it contains one serious bug ;-)) it will not work properly on our Peggys.
  • »09.05.05 - 20:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Well

Chris Hodges would be the one to code the usb2 support in Poseidon.. isnt there supposed to be a Poseidon 3 being worked on??

magnetic

I have a usb2 card here ready to install
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »09.05.05 - 20:11
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Actually, Poseidon already supports USB 2.0. How else would ArakAttack as well as the Elbox Spider cards work at USB 2.0 Speeds in Mediator busboards and in an Amithlon enviroment?

On the highway_usb yahoo group Chris Hodges said in April that it will last several month more to the release ov V3 of Poseidon.
  • »09.05.05 - 20:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    AFAIK

ARAK Attack does not work at USB 2 speeds only usb1 speed which is silly.

Hopefully, Poseidon 3 will have this support

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »09.05.05 - 20:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Sorry, but this is not true... Guido Mersmann, Author of ArakAttack, told me that it runs at about 6 MB / sec on his Amithlon system.

And Spider does provide about 3 MB/sec. But will the Spider work with Pegasos? I dont know...
  • »09.05.05 - 20:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

And Spider does provide about 3 MB/sec. But will the Spider work with Pegasos? I dont know...

As far as I know, the Spider is a simple PCI NEC USB 2.0 card. You should buy a 10E USB 2.0 card from your local dealder. It should work just as fine on Pegasos.

Bye

[ Edited by NicoPPC on 2005/5/9 16:57 ]
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »09.05.05 - 22:46
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Yes, but right now I will only get USB 1.1 speed with that cheap card, and me and a lot of other people want USB 2.0 speed in the Peggy.

So there seem to be three solutions:

1) wait until date x for MOS native USB drivers, done by VFD or someone else of the MOS team

2) wait until date x for a properly working openpci.library, which does work with ArakAttack

3) do buy right now a Spider USB card for a lot of money and enjoy kind-of USB 2.0 speed.

The big question is: does the spider work in the Peggy?
  • »09.05.05 - 23:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

3) do buy right now a Spider USB card for a lot of money and enjoy kind-of USB 2.0 speed.

The big question is: does the spider work in the Peggy?

Probably not. elbox doesn't use OpenPCI nor cybpci.library but their own PCI API.
    AFAIK.

By the way, believe it or not but my brother's XP box does not support USB 2.0 high speed ;-P

Bye

[ Edited by NicoPPC on 2005/5/10 2:49 ]
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »10.05.05 - 07:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

By the way, believe it or not but my brother's XP box does not support USB 2.0 high speed ;-P

XP supports USB2 with SP1
    maybe ur bro doesn't even have some USB2 hardware...?
  • »10.05.05 - 09:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Schlonz wrote:
    Another solution would be the use of ArakAttack, but as OpenPCI.library is buggy as hell (well, erm, at least it contains one serious bug ;-)) it will not work properly on our Peggys.

Those bugs weren't fixed in the latest OpenPCI release? OpenPCI needs more developers, seriously...
  • »10.05.05 - 12:14
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    @NicoPPC:

I just got an answer from Elbox regarding Spider. They say that they do not provide Pegasos drivers for it. So, my third solution is gone...

@timeoftonic:

No, even the latest OpenPCI version does not fix that bug. I tried out by myself with the ArakAttack Demo, and Guido Mersmann told me that it still wont work, too.
  • »10.05.05 - 16:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Just a few word to clearify. ArakAttack is supporting all common USB standards: UHCI, OHCI and EHCI.

>Sorry, but this is not true... Guido Mersmann, Author of ArakAttack, told me that it runs at about 6 MB / sec on his Amithlon system.
    Actually my USB 2.0 Memory Stick is running with 7MB/s, the speed is limited by the flash memory.
    Since january I am using a Harddisk which is twice as fast.

>And Spider does provide about 3 MB/sec. But will the Spider work with Pegasos? I dont know...
    The spider is just a normal NEC Chip based PCI card with tweeked PCI ID, which are checked by the driver.

> No, even the latest OpenPCI version does not fix that bug. I tried out by myself with the ArakAttack Demo, and Guido Mersmann told me that it still wont work, too.
    Regarding on my latest information the current problem is, that the MorphOS internal PCI card allocation isn't working.

The result is that the standard USB driver gets the same card as my driver and that's causing a big boom, because two drivers are accessing the same card at the same time. Making an OHCI/EHCI version of my driver would work around the problem, because UHCI then is the only handled by the default driver. In simple words only EHCI will be added.

ArakAttack was never ment to run on PPC system, because it's highly optimized to get maximum performance from 68K base systems. This is because USB need much CPU power, because the controllers are very stupid.

Geit

[ Edited by geit on 2005/5/10 14:10 ]
  • »10.05.05 - 20:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    If you purchase a usb card will it work at a faster rate than the onboard usb?

I'm gathering from your posts the answer is yes? If yes, which cards would you recommend?
  • »10.05.05 - 20:37
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Hi geit,

sorry if I remembered wrong with that 6 MB/sec.

>The result is that the standard USB driver gets the same card as my driver and that's causing a big boom, because two drivers are accessing the same card at the same time. Making an OHCI/EHCI version of my driver would work around the problem, because UHCI then is the only handled by the default driver. In simple words only EHCI will be added.

So, if I add a OHCI/EHCI card to my Peggy (Ali or NEC chip), I could get ArakAttack working without getting problems with the build-in VIA UHCI controller?
  • »10.05.05 - 20:39
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Hi matt3,

I just tested it using the program "drivespeed", here are the results for my USB 2.0 flash memory stick:

Onboard Peg1 USB controller:

Ram Disk:> drivespeed usbscsi.device 0
    Drive information:
    Type: DISK
    Manufacturer Name:
    Drive Name: USB DISK Pro
    Drive Revision: 3.09
    Raw read: 914605 bytes/sec

USB 2.0 controller card with VIA chipset:

Ram Disk:> drivespeed usbscsi.device 0
    Drive information:
    Type: DISK
    Manufacturer Name:
    Drive Name: USB DISK Pro
    Drive Revision: 3.09
    Raw read: 901968 bytes/sec

So, its hard to believe, but the onboard USB controller seems to be a bit faster.
  • »10.05.05 - 20:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    @Schlonz

>So, if I add a OHCI/EHCI card to my Peggy (Ali or NEC chip), I could get ArakAttack working without getting problems with the build-in VIA UHCI controller?

Not exactly! The type of card isn't relevant. I ment if I crimple my driver not to understand UHCI anymore, the problem with the double usage hardware is gone.

Geit
  • »10.05.05 - 21:01
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    @geit:

OK... so, would you cripple your driver for us MorphOS users? At least I would pay immediately for your driver, if it does work then!
  • »10.05.05 - 21:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    @Schlonz

You can disable the UHCI controller with my OpenUSB.device by your self using a binary Editor like FileX.

Use it to search for 202c 000c 0300 and replace it by 202c ffff ffff. Now UHCI isn't found anymore
    and the bad side effects are gone.

Don't ask me why I didn't came up with this work around in the first place. Just flow to my mind while answering the postings.

Geit
  • »10.05.05 - 21:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    @Schlonz

You can disable the UHCI controller with my OpenUSB.device by your self using a binary Editor like FileX.

Use it to search for 202c 000c 0300 and replace it by 202c ffff ffff. Now UHCI isn't found anymore
    and the bad side effects are gone.

Don't ask me why I didn't came up with this work around in the first place. Just flow to my mind while answering the postings.

Geit

It would be very nice if you could put such a modified binary in an archive for MorphOS users on your site (or post it here in MorphOS file section).
    As for the users could you please test and report what USB card you used and what speed you got and if you had any issue ?

Thank you.

[ Edited by cdfr on 2005/5/10 9:25 ]
  • »10.05.05 - 21:21
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    @geit:

>Use it to search for 202c 000c 0300 and replace it by 202c ffff ffff.

Are you sure? I could not find that string, but there was 203c 000c 0300. Did you mean this?

If yes, it did not work for me... using OpenUSB.device as a new entry in Poseidon prefs with units 2, 3 and 4 did not work, it does not go online. Sigh... thats a pity...

[ Edited by Schlonz on 2005/5/10 16:12 ]
  • »10.05.05 - 21:45