MorphOS v1.5 - How many of you wants it out now?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    Would it be better if the MorphOS Team was more open? Speaked more to its userbase?

What is your words for getting MorphOS v1.5 now out. Tell MorphOS Team what you want and what sort of future it should have?

If MorphOS is going to be an strong alternative to AmigaOS4, it must become much more open. Not the code, not its life. But more updates on whats going on, and give MorphOS users more freedom to be able to download updates etc.

Do you think MorphOS Team is to silent, or not?

Michal
  • »23.10.04 - 06:46
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    I think it's a safe bet almost everyone of us would like to get our hands on 1.5 right now and would like to see an increased communication from the MOS crew - but as much I'm inclined to argue that getting on the developers' nerves by repeated postings like this won't force its release either...
  • »23.10.04 - 07:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    I would like to see them a bit more open. Its just to quiet and I and other users is waiting. You might joke about the "2 weeks" when it comes to AmigaOS4 etc. But MorphOS crew aint any better.

Oki, they dont give you any 2 week ahead fortune told, but its to silent. Its even worse than the Commodore days. And I hope that this has nothing to do with Mr. Dellert at DCE :)

Michal
  • »23.10.04 - 07:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    >Do you think MorphOS Team is to silent, or not?

I think you could be MORE silent, or noiseless.

just shut h3ll up, its ready when its ready.
    all the naggin won't make anything better.
  • »23.10.04 - 07:27
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Infinity
    @"its ready when its ready"
    .. thats absolutely crap, sorry but every successful company is providing their fanbase with updates and announcements about their products.
    And of course MorphOS must be more open too.
    Developer AND the user have to know the direction in which their OS is moving and what kind of features are to be expected in the near future.
    Without that progress every User has the feeling that the development and the "move forward" is stopped.
    The result is an unstable and flustered community like we have at the moment - for only one Reason: AmigaOS is "more open"!

Cu
    Andreas

[ Edited by Infinity on 2004/10/23 9:21 ]
  • »23.10.04 - 08:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    "every successful company is providing their fanbase with updates and announcements about their products."

"Developer AND the user have to know the direction in which their OS is moving and what kind of features are to be expected in the near future."

"Without that progress every User has the feeling that the development and the "move forward" is stopped."

I agree with all these sentences, but I fear that many opf us have still not understood that at the moment MorphOS is probably developed as an hobby by its developers in their spare time.. Really really really little few of them do it as "real job"..
    MorphOS is their own project, their own personal jewel, their toy, not our one. It seems they develop it for themself and like themself prefer it to be: they are not offering on demand a professional product to users that pay for it (and so they do not care much about what we say everywhere about it since ages..): they simply develop it and when ready offer it to the community. Stop.
    Surelly I have not shot the target at 100%, but I'm sure I'm really close at the real think..
    And I can understand that maybe they have not all the guilties about the actual status of the things and probably at the moment they are not put in the right conditions to make the thing go differently..

If some core developer want to answer to this and explain in pacific and productive way why and if I am wrong I would be seriously happy and probably all the others wil be greatfull to him.
    But sadly, I do not think this will ever happen :-(
    Maybe we will only get Catogen saying "shut up, shut uup!", "Wait silently, when Mos1.5 will be ready you will just have it!" and that confirms they do not want to have serious relashionship with their users base, they only wants to develop their jewel and give us it as present when ready...

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »23.10.04 - 10:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @Miky: so are SkyOS, Haiku (former OpenBeOS),... However they seem to care about their "userbase".

Why ?

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »23.10.04 - 11:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    Really, I don't see any sense in such a thread again. I agree with Miky060 - the coders are (almost if not all) working for free, it's their "baby" and we got it as a free gift with our Pegasos, so we don't have any (legal) right to demand an update from them, IMHO.

That on the other hand their behaviour might not be very healthy, is true also, of course. But as several times in the past, also this public thread as well as requests in private to at least put the bugfixes (printing!) onto the FTP won't change anything, I guess. Thus it's pointless, IMHO.

So I think we can just continue to wait - while more and more people might indeed change to where currently the action seems to take place.

Anyway, it's the full right of the MorphOS crew to look at their OS just as something they mainly do for themselves alone instead as something which could be turned into a real commercial product one day. Personally - without any irony - I'm grateful that they share it with us at all!
  • »23.10.04 - 12:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    I don't agree with You. I think, MOS had been MOSTeam private baby
    till time, when was added to Pegasos.Now, many people wait for
    new Amiga-like product. It can be comercial product, new version can
    be paid, but users whant to know, we can updait our OS in this year,
    or MOSTeam want to tell to us "Kiss our ass"
    Kaczus/BlaBla & AUG-Lodz Happy Pegasos User
  • »23.10.04 - 12:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    I completely agree with Miky060, the "when it's done" neverending saga
    is unproducrive for us all.
    Sadly we are repeating it ad infinitum since a year but
    it's like talking to wind...
    Not very nice, but, again, it's only my opinion...
    ;-(
    -------------------
  • »23.10.04 - 12:57
  • Frz
  • Just looking around
    Frz
    @Leo

Getting hold of recent versions of SkyOs requires one to sign up (and also pay a fee) to become a beta-tester. I would imagine this procedure to create a better establishment between the developers and users.
  • »23.10.04 - 14:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    @Frz
    that's not the point. Many of us already told pubblically that we would be really happy to pay for MorphOS, but MOS core developers seem not interested.
    They they seem simply not intereted to change actual situation..

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »23.10.04 - 14:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    It would certainly be more productive imo
    to have at least an occasional status update
    posted somewhere. MorphOS and Pegasos is a
    great combination but people are naturally
    going to get a little frustrated when there
    is little communication or information being
    posted.

However, some parts of MorphOS 1.5 have
    been shown at various events recently which
    does demonstrate that progress is being made.
    (a lot of nice things actually) The smaller
    1.4.2 update (plus new AHI and Poseidon) was
    appreciated and I would personally like to
    see more updates of this nature happening
    while waiting for the next major release. :)
  • »23.10.04 - 15:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Frz
  • Just looking around
    Frz
    @Miky

This was just an example of how the developer/user-interaction is done by the SkyOs team. This way of doing things would not necessarily benefit for the sake of MorphOs.
  • »23.10.04 - 15:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Miky060 wrote:
    @Frz
    that's not the point. Many of us already told pubblically that we would be really happy to pay for MorphOS, but MOS core developers seem not interested.
    They they seem simply not intereted to change actual situation..

Paying for MorphOS would not make any real difference in practice. It could if the userbase (and the potential userbase=the number of Pegasos sold) would have been very large, but as the situation is today and in a near-mid future, it simply won't make much sense. Bundling it with hardware is the way to go IMHO!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.10.04 - 15:31
  • Frz
  • Just looking around
    Frz
    @Realstar

I absolutely agree. While waiting for the 1.5 release, a small update which eg. enables the Altivec core would be enough to keep me (and surely many other users) happy for another x months :)

[ Edited by Frz on 2004/10/23 16:31 ]
  • »23.10.04 - 15:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ realstar

I agree!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.10.04 - 15:34
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @Mrz

Quote:

Getting hold of recent versions of SkyOs requires one to sign up (and also pay a fee) to become a beta- tester. I would imagine this procedure to create a better establishment between the developers and users.

What I meant is that they regulary provide users & developers with information about what's going on.

However, SkyOS is a hobbit OS... And there is even hardly more than *one* developer working on the core OS.

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »23.10.04 - 16:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hawk
    to talk serious, I think we should ask "is Freescale interested in Morphos?".

If Pegasos is gonna be just a Linux PPC machine for Freescale, MorphOS will continue as all of you already said...
    Pegasos II G3@600Mhz (no fan) 512MB RAM (1 slot)
    -- Maxtor 6Y120P0 120GB, 7200 rpm -- ATI Radeon 7500 - (64MB, TV-out)
    -- Minuet Slimline PC case -- MorphOS 1.4.5 + Gentoo
    EFIKA
  • »23.10.04 - 16:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Frz
  • Just looking around
    Frz
    @Leo

SkyOs' development team is afaik four guys (might as well be more), whereas one of them is THE core developer -- fully comparable to the MOS-team, with Ralph S. as the head :-)
  • »23.10.04 - 16:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    I agree, that the latest update was quite a long time ago. However, we have a pretty long list concerning the details of MorphOS 1.5, so we are not in the dark, I think we all know what we are waiting for, so I wouldn't blame developer's communication.

It seems that instead of minor updates like 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 they go for a huge leap and we will get MorphOS 1.5.

Now, how long it took to get 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 out? Yes, it was a pretty long time. Now, if we count for ourselves, where we are 1.4.3, .4, .5... etc - there is still time and room for 1.5.

Again: at major parties we regularly get sneak previews, so I disagree with being kept in the dark by the developers.

OS4 lost many due the "wishful" timedates given, despite the promised "no promises" behaviour. They were absolutely unable to meet deadlines. Later they denied that they gave out promises - do we really want the same?
  • »23.10.04 - 22:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    MorphOS1.5 isn't as important to me as say an audio app (similar to octamed sound studio) and a good web browser.
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »23.10.04 - 23:34
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    the bad point with that attitude is that ppl get frustrated because of no communication, no updates, no dialog..

so, when the update will finally comes, it will have to be really good, because ppl are already pretty upset..
    and i guess no os are bugfree, so, ppl will just shoot on morphos, saying all that time, and there's still a lots of bugs! too bad...

i really think mos-team is cutting the branch on which they sat their fatty lazy ass ;)

comeon whats that attitudes m8s?
    you make pegasos users fleeing (like i did ...)
    i only come here time to time, to just have a quick look, but really nothing changes..
    still no dialog, no updates... poor pegasos users ..

thats really a pity i think the pagasos and morphos have some potential but ..
  • »24.10.04 - 18:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I disagree partly. Sure, more communication is always welcome but what
    would it change? Nothing - it would drive the dev team only into
    borders of promises.
    they have shown the letest 1.5 beta at shows (okay, not Ambient for
    1.5 - nobody saw it officially yet). But we know many thing which will
    come with 1.5. And regarding timelines, sure i would be happy if they
    just said MOS 1.5 will come exactly on december, 24th at 5 pm just
    after errecting the christmas tree - but it's too hard to give correct
    timelines Regarding small updaes I agree on the one hand that I would
    be the first to welcome such but one has to consider also that
    internally there might have happen too many changes to MOS 1.5 that a
    small update would cause dependencies the current V 1.4.2 can't
    handle.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »25.10.04 - 00:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    I am a new user, but I must say that I am a little dissapointed
    about all these.

I waited 10 years for a new amiga to come, and I chose Pegasos
    because AmigaOne was not ready.

But as I see right now, AmigaOS 4.0 is more far in front then MorphOS.
  • »25.10.04 - 01:24