Let's all pay for MorphOS!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Dont misunderstand me! I am just attempting to get some ideas here is all. I am open to ANYTHING that the rest of us are willing to bring out. I just want to see our great OS advanced as much as we can. If that means helping out the dev team with some money then so be it, if not and they want to keep things as is i am good with that too. I still think a donation system would be a great idea if they would accept such an offer.
  • »24.07.04 - 06:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hawk
    I don't think I would pay for an update... Mostly because I felt deceived when I got my Peg and MorphOS didn't even come with a TCP/IP stack. In PegasosPPC.com it is written "AmiTCP" in the Software bundle.... So why should I pay for something I already paid for and I didn't get? The same for the copy of Debian that I never got....

I already have a TCP/IP stack and some other application that I bought.

However, I would pay for applications. I am willing to buy Burn It 3.0 DVD. But it's "near completion" since april... Without applications, I think I will have to continue using Linux as main system in my Peg, so it would be pointless to buy a MorphOS upgrade.

That is my sincere point of view.
  • »24.07.04 - 06:53
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Not another $50 coupon... omg
  • »24.07.04 - 07:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    As I said already in the Prime Time thread yesterday, the problem of paid updates might be that - depending on the national laws - the customer might be entitled to getting support. For which there certainly isn't the time and money available yet at the given size of the user base and developer crew.

Therefore some kind of donation system, excluding such guaranteed support, seems to be the way to go. But obviously the people need to get something in return for their donation to motivate enough of them to actually do so.

Therefore I, too, am suggesting a password-restricted forum and download area which offers 'insider information' and single updated files and packages clearly labelled as "use on your own risk". Access to this area would be granted as a 'thank you' and donation by the MorphOS team to everyone who has donated money for the OS development.

This could be handled like with the original Betatesters I. Id est just create a new Betatester II status, which is restricted to those who donate for the MorphOS development. Normal customers would not get access and would have to wait for the official releases which would keep to be free until either the Pegasos platform is fully supported (printing, firewire, etc.) or MorphOS 2.0 is reached or the support belonging to a commercial product can be guaranteed.

Regarding those who wouldn't like to pay since they already paid for the Pegasos and expect a full support of that hardware first: Well, of course it might be a legitimate opinion to tell the MorphOS crew it would have been their own fault to bundle their software with the Pegasos without (as it seems) taking care for getting in turn a fixed and satisfying share per unit of the sales for their development. But a) then be would have had paid more already for the Pegasos, b) is the question what we would gain from punishing the MorphOS crew now for having done so by not wanting to pay for the OS (Is that really in our interest!?), and c) has it always been said that MorphOS would be shipped for free with the Pegasos since it is not ready to be sold commercially yet. So I see no basis for any demands from us users regarding the covered functionality. We paid for the Pegasos, not MorphOS - although obviously for most of us it was MorphOS which made us buy it, not the (excellent) hardware itself.

And finally regarding those who - correctly, as I did yesterday also already - indicate that the money, which the majority of us here in this thread is willing to pay to the MorphOS crew, would be just a drop in the ocean, I guess that our intention of support demonstrated by us towards the MorphOS crew by doing so might at least help to motivate them a bit more and to strengthen them if everyone sees that the users, the customers, are standing behind them, their product, in the first place.

[ Edited by Senex on 2004/7/24 9:36 ]
  • »24.07.04 - 08:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    DedyAmigo
    Hi Miki060

I am from Czech republic and my income is about 400 euro mounthly and
    this is average income in Czech. I think that 20 euro should be right
    from ourland, but i am waiting from version 1.5 support for all hw
    implementation on MOBO like Irda, firewire, 3D drivers for Radeon gfx
    cards, really working TP, and many many others.
    And finally I am agree with Galaxy and Paochi

Dedy
    Peg I/600, 256MB noname RAM, Radeon 8500 LE 64MB DDR,
    40GB WD hd, DVD, CDRW, Canon i560 ink jet, and not working
    Irda
  • »24.07.04 - 10:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maurensen
    I totally agree with Micky!
    If Genesi is unable to pay MOS team (but are they not selling
    hundred of thousand peggys around the world???, bah!!) I'd be glad to
    give money to these guys to update the best OS in the world!! (add
    dancing bananas ad infinitum... :-).
    Aloha.
  • »24.07.04 - 12:39
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    breed
    I agree too!

Today nothing is free... that will be "normal" to pay for a major update!

:-D
  • »24.07.04 - 13:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    After the official announcement of the Mos Team, it make sens ;)
    Let's wait to see what they propose in term of price, update...
  • »24.07.04 - 13:58
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Paochi
    Quote:

Regarding those who wouldn't like to pay since they already paid for the Pegasos and expect a full support of that hardware first: Well, of course it might be a legitimate opinion to tell the MorphOS crew it would have been their own fault to bundle their software with the Pegasos without (as it seems) taking care for getting in turn a fixed and satisfying share per unit of the sales for their development. But a) then be would have had paid more already for the Pegasos, b) is the question what we would gain from punishing the MorphOS crew now for having done so by not wanting to pay for the OS (Is that really in our interest!?), and c) has it always been said that MorphOS would be shipped for free with the Pegasos since it is not ready to be sold commercially yet. So I see no basis for any demands from us users regarding the covered functionality. We paid for the Pegasos, not MorphOS - although obviously for most of us it was MorphOS which made us buy it, not the (excellent) hardware itself.

The prob Senex is that when we buyed Pegasos there was a list of FEATURES and BUNDLED software that actually is not real.
    So it would be immoral and unfair a payed update to obtain the promised BASIC MOS 1.x with all features descibed on Pegasos, Bplan, Genesi and MOS sites.
    ANd please, please ... stop with these PREPAYEMENTS.
    I will pay something when I will see it working and if I will judge it "worth to pay".
  • »24.07.04 - 15:16
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    BigGun
    I have to say that I like Senex post.

I don't know if a user always has the right on support if he pays for an update.
    Actually I think that the MOS crew provide support already don't they?
    The beta2 list and the irc channels are some kind of support aren't they?

So how is the current situation?
    - They MOS crew does not want to release MOS 1.5 now as its not finished yet.
    I fully understand that.
    Most developers prever to wait with releases until they are 100% satisfied with it.
    - The users are looking forward to get some updates now.
    There are some improvements like Ambient which all of us are keen on.
    - Raising some money would help the MOS crew.

How about paying 50 Euro to join a MOS club?

MOS club members could get a T-shirt and would get access to the MOS beta now.
    Without any guarantees and without any support of course.
    The MOS users will be happy because they can use/test some of the advance/improvements now
    and the MOS Team can wait with the release of the final version.

Doing this the MOS team can easily raise some money,
    they would make people like me which are keen on the Ambient improvements happy,
    and they can release MOS for free later and keep the provides of the MOS website.

(I know the club idea is not new but its still a good idea, isn't it?)

Cheers
    Gunnar
  • »24.07.04 - 17:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    @BigGun,
    I really like your 'club' idea. Wha you other here think about this?

@Targan
    what about this poll? You do not like the idea to make a statistic on what people think about this iussue?
  • »24.07.04 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    We dont need a poll. What we need is a clear statement from
    the MOS crew if what we're talking about is accepted.
    We've payed for the ability to use MOS but we've not the
    ownership of it. There is only one person (team) to start
    this ...

We can make clear that we're willing to pay. But in what
    form can only be decided by the MOS-crew.
  • »24.07.04 - 19:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    I think that Club idea is very bad, and with that T-Shirt it reminds me of that AInc. Club.
    First off all we need a real statement from the MOS Dev-Team, why there is that delay and when 1.5 could be ready. And i don' t think that when some users donate or pay them 20-50 Euro, that this would help them much.
    We speculate about MOS1.5 to much without knowing the facts, who knows if it's a matter of money or a matter of time needed to release 1.5
    Is there anybody who knows some facts about that delay in releasing MOS 1.5?
  • »24.07.04 - 19:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    I'm also in favour of a MorphOS club. I'm a member of the MandrakeClub wich give's members free download of the Mandrake Linux retail versions a month before it hit's the shops. And there are several other benefits.

It's a good idea to start a MOS club wich allows members to download beta versions, free download of the retail versions and acces to bugfixes etc. Mayby it's also possible to include an automatic update service in MOS 1.5 for club members.
    There should also be a freeware MorphOS version available to people who are not a member of the MOS Club so they can try it before bying.
  • »24.07.04 - 19:09
  • Targhan
    I'll see what I can do to this end. (the club idea). Let me check with the MorphOS Team, to see if they will be agreeable.

/me has an idea......
  • »24.07.04 - 20:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Original_Elektro_0
    to 'Elektro'

From all the possible combinations did you really have to choose that one for your nick? I've been known as Elektro over at amiga.org (and ann and amigaworld) for years now. And now people think its me posting here at morph.zone?!
  • »25.07.04 - 14:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP on 2011/3/12 7:58 ]
  • »26.07.04 - 04:24
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @BigGun:
    To speak fair enough... I have a monthly income of 239$. 50E~=70$ is 1/3 of it. Think about this.
  • »26.07.04 - 07:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    Quote:

Original_Elektro_0 wrote:
    to 'Elektro'

From all the possible combinations did you really have to choose that one for your nick? I've been known as Elektro over at amiga.org (and ann and amigaworld) for years now. And now people think its me posting here at morph.zone?!

Ma che cazzo vuoi???
    Dal mio profilo si può ben vedere che sono ITALIANO e non un stupido inglesotto o americano o quel diavolo che sei tu...
    Se non capisci l'Italiano sono affari tuoi..voi stranieri m'avete rotto la minchia con il vostro monolinguismo.
  • »26.07.04 - 09:35
  • Just looking around
    Original_Elektro_0
    And you're also apparently a dumbass, another thing to distinguish us...

jerk.
  • »26.07.04 - 12:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    Quote:

Original_Elektro_0 wrote:
    And you're also apparently a dumbass, another thing to distinguish us...

jerk.

Chi dovrebbe disgustare,tu e chi altro?qua l'unico a porsi il prob fino ad ora sei stato tu e nessun'altro.
    Chi mai sei?una divinità forse?cmq sia,se t fossi registrato prima,non avresti questo prob.
  • »26.07.04 - 13:00
    Miky060
    Hey Elektro,
    dai su, stai calmino. Perchè tutto questo nervosismo?

E cmq quella del parlare in italiano non l'ho capita! :-D

P.S. Cmq penso voleva dire: "questa è un'altra cosa che ci distingue" non intendeva dire che lo disgusti..
  • »26.07.04 - 13:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    BigGun
    Quote:

To speak fair enough... I have a monthly income of 239$. 50E~=70$ is 1/3 of it. Think about this.

@qmaster
    Okay I see your point.
    You are right, for people with very low income 50 Euro could be a bit high.
    I haven't thought about Russia.

I proposed this number because I hoped that at least 100, hopefully 200 or more people
    would be willing to pay. And 100 times 50 equals 5000 Euro.
    I would not call 5000 Euror a fortune but it would help to pay some dedicated programmers for some weeks.

Cheers
    Gunnar
  • »26.07.04 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    @BigGun

I don't think it will speed up the developement a bit, no matter if you have 5000 euros or 10000 euros to give away: it seems very unlikely that MOS1.5 will be released this year no matter what.

This is based to Neko's comment that it might be possible to have it by xmas.
  • »26.07.04 - 15:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elektro
    Quote:

Miky060 wrote:
    Hey Elektro,
    dai su, stai calmino. Perchè tutto questo nervosismo?

E cmq quella del parlare in italiano non l'ho capita! :-D

P.S. Cmq penso voleva dire: "questa è un'altra cosa che ci distingue" non intendeva dire che lo disgusti..

Mi ink. perchè questo salta fuori dal nulla dicendo che lui è il solo,l'unico,il mitico Elektro..ma che vuole?
    Come se la gente passasse le giornate a pensare che lui è Elektro...uhhh...ave...la sera gli fanno pure la preghierina prima di mettersi a letto.
    Ora cosa devo cambiare nick solo perchè 'sto sfigato si presenta sulla piazza?ma che se ne vada al diablo!

Ah si cmq..ho letto di fretta ed ho letto discg. anzi che distng. va bèp tanto lui nn l 'ha capito! :-D

[ Edited by Elektro on 2004/7/26 16:52 ]
  • »26.07.04 - 15:50