THAT could sell Pegasos ;)
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Hi,

It seems Pegasos is taking some market share together with Unix/Linux (see recent annoucements about Pegasos in Freescale offices): that's great !

But I think Pegasos could sell elsewhere as well...

Imagine something like this:

http://nogfx.free.fr/pegasosNG.png

Now THAT could sell Pegasos !

=> Are we that far from it ?

.Pegasos is already there.
    .Current MorphOS could already allow such games/software.

What's missing ?
    What do you think ?

Like bbrv said: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained..."

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/7/15 13:48 ]
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »15.07.04 - 14:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    404 File not found.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »15.07.04 - 14:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi Leo, are you sur about the link ? It doesn't work under Safari :(
    Thanks anyway for sharing yor ideas !
  • »15.07.04 - 14:49
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Please try again: should be OK now...
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »15.07.04 - 14:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Leo wrote:
    Hi,

.Pegasos is already there.
    .Current MorphOS could already allow such games/software.

What's missing ?
    What do you think ?

Like bbrv said: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained..."

Leo.

Sorry dude - I am not impressed at all. Superbundle is just existing. All we need to sell more Pegs is MOS 1.5 (You know: working printer, 3D and TCP/IP and improved ambient, plus other nice improvements), working office (Papyrus should do the trick) and - and that is the most important thing - a good availability of the hw with an attractive price.

I am sure we will get it but it will take some time still. First money must be raised by the Linux market...

Bundling SW anf offer integrated systems in not new, (but surely the right way).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.07.04 - 15:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi Leo,

I have to agree with Zilesea. For today the most important is to have all the basic feature implemented in Morphos. Lot of games are already available in the SuperBundle and I'm not sure games are priorities for Pegasos users. I believe once Mos will be a complete OS lot of games will be ported :)

T
  • »15.07.04 - 15:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Let's hope, that Carmack will release the Quake 3 source codes, like he did with Doom, Quake 1 and Quake 2.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »15.07.04 - 15:24
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    This is not meant to impress...

From all the games in Superbundle, I tried every game, deleted all but BirdieShoot...
    On the other hand, I'm still playing with Beast & other GOOD old Amiga games on PC/UAE (cause UAE port is nearly unusable on MorphOS/G3).
    I know *a lot of* of people who would buy it without even asking for the price if they saw such package...

I'm convinced such software could sell Pegasos...
    For sure it won't bring millions of users (CBM sold around 1 Million A500 in 1991),... But I'm pretty sure it would work.

More than that, it would bring an identity to Pegasos/MorphOS, something that I find to be missing today.

Regards,
    Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/7/15 14:26 ]
  • »15.07.04 - 15:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    BigGun
    Many of the mame games are very, very nice.

The Metal Slug series is top notch.
    They are one of the best Jump and Runs.

Would be nice for Pegesi if they could bundled them with Pegasos.

Just my 2cents

Gunnar
  • »15.07.04 - 16:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    All mame games, PC ports (Quake, Quake2, H2,...) are already available on PC and ports are usually better/faster on PC: that's the problem...

I don't mean such ports are useless... But original (and ex-Amiga hits in my example) and high-quality games can add much more value to MorphOS than "simple" pc ports...

Nobody will buy Pegasos only because of Bundle includes Mame+Games or Quake2...

A lot of people could buy Peg/MOS because of BeastNG...

That's what I think ;)

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/7/15 15:29 ]
  • »15.07.04 - 16:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

Only the people who played SOTB previously and like it :-D
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »15.07.04 - 16:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Leo wrote:

That's what I think ;)

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/7/15 15:29 ]

If you think that there might be a beastNG this will be a whole new game. It's close to worthless that Team17 did many years ago a beast for Amiga. If you convince them to produce a beastNG I am sure they will not do it for MOS (only) but may consider PSII or GC.
    Well, my impression is that a computer like the Peg hasn't it's strength in games. If you want to game just buy a GC, PS2, XBox (they are bloody cheap and offer a lot for gaming) or maybe a WinPC. But not a Pegasos.
    Games on the Peg are a nice thing but (with the current situation) not the major interest - we need to stay realistic. The gaming industry of today is just too big and avery hard business. How do you want to convince some big game company to make a game for a geek computer when they can do it for a console or the PC (there is close to no market for MOS and I doubt they have programmers who know the MOS API (well , I don't know where the old AOS programmers are today, but even the MOS API of today is quite diffrent from hacking a game in the A500 days))? Sure Team 17 said they alwaysliked the Amiga and their company agenda might differ from others but their first aim is to operate with profits. Even good games on Mac are rare, but they exist. And I guess nobody buys a Mac because of the games...

PS: But that's for sure, a BeastNG on the Peg would be some kind of cool.
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »15.07.04 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    No ex-Amiga games creator would today work on MorphOS game today, even if payed for...

What I had in mind is to buy the licence, and contract MorphOS developers/gfx artists,... to do the work.
    A PC/Consoles version could be developped as well but should be released sometime AFTER the MorphOS version in order to have some impact in Peg/MorphOS...

Sure, it would require a lot of money... But I'm convinced it would bring a lot of it as well...

Now, I'm not in position to buy any licence from ex-Amiga developers... I'm just submiting the idea ;)

btw: what was Amiga's strength before DPaint and Beast came out ?
    what's Pegasos/MorphOS's strength today ?

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/7/15 16:44 ]
  • »15.07.04 - 17:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    Unlike the other posters, I think you're right. Retro and emotions can very well sell machines - that's the selling point of Commodore rebranded merchandise and - surprise - even AmigaONE/AmigaOS4.

The more problematic part is the actual effort which brings us BeastNG - it requires (at the best, presuming the average level of todays games) paying 6-7 full time experienced game developer for say a year to have it out. It takes maybe even more to get the rights from Psygnosis.

In the GFX style of Guilty Gear even a 2D game is sellable - it just takes a hellishly lot of work of talented graphicians.

If you have 100-500.000 EUR to spare, I say: GO FOR IT :-) I will even help you to find the right team :-)
  • »15.07.04 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    It could sell them, but first we need more machines in homes to do that. Game studeos will not write a nice game for a system out of the good of there hearts. They need to be sure they can get as much back on the investment in sales first. To do that you need a decent sized user base. To have that we need more machine built and sold. I am looking forward to Amiwest mostly for this. I want to see just how many people would want to get a Pegasos. I know EVERYONE that has seen mine so far wants to get one. I managed to get one sold before they ran out. So its just a matter time and money. Lets hope BBRV can get some good strong sames in, and with that some good steady cash flow. Once the system is out in the homes and busineses the software will come on its own.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »15.07.04 - 18:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I just want a development environment that makes it freakin EASY TO BUILD WINDOWS/GUI APPS!!! I dont mind doing the rest of the work but understanding MUI.. blah. Free Pascal I hope does the trick.
  • »15.07.04 - 18:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

Game studeos will not write a nice game for a system out of the good of there hearts.

I'm not talking about existing Game Studios: none would work on MorphOS/Pegasos... And even if some Pegasos are sold, they will be mainly targeted at Unix/Linux and not MorphOS/Games... We definitely can't wait for Pegasos to be sold in the hope it will bring interest in MorphOS (especially in the Game market)...

We have to find out people INSIDE the Amiga/MorphOS community if we want to have something...

There is already a SOTB remake in the works (see http://sotb.free.fr ) and I know they have a MorphOS/Amiga port in mind: maybe that's the first thing to look at...

Leo.

[ Edited by Leo on 2004/7/16 10:42 ]
  • »15.07.04 - 20:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Leo wrote:
    Quote:

Game studeos will not write a nice game for a system out of the good of there hearts.

I'm not talking about existing Game Studios: none would work on MorphOS/Pegasos... And even if some Pegasos are sold, they will be mainly targeted at Unix/Linux and not MorphOS/Games... We definitely can't wait for Pegasos to be sold in the hope it will bring interest in MorphOS (especially in the Game market)...

We have to find out people INSIDE the Amiga/MorphOS community if we want to have something...

There is already a SOTB remake in the works (see http://sotb.free.fr) and I know they have a MorphOS/Amiga port in mind: maybe that's the first thing to look at...

Leo.

Hey Leo, I agree with you. You link isnt working and I would love to see more users of the system start porting and releasing games. Sony owns the former Psygnosis stuff now. Do they know of the remake? Will they let something like that even be released? I know they are hard on things like that, or at least have been in the past.

-Paul
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »15.07.04 - 22:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    yes i too would love to see commercial games for MOS, hell its what i have been pitching since i got here. personaly we need the TORGUE engine then we can have commercial quality games like Legends and Dark Horizons Lore and maney other games found HERE there are other commercial games that are good based ont his engione but I can not find them. I have talked to the authors of this engione a while ago and if we had the engine on MOS all it would take for the most part is a simple recompile and the games would work fine without implementing much or any new code! i have made other long posts about games for MOS i will provide a link to them or bump them into the new posts if people are interested.
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »15.07.04 - 22:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    this is the game list port HERE
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »15.07.04 - 22:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Metal Slug a jump n run? Whaaaa, now where is my Heavy Machinegun!! I`ll show you a jump n run :-D
  • »15.07.04 - 23:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Hey Acill the correct link is: http://sotb.free.fr
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »16.07.04 - 01:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

warface wrote:
    Unlike the other posters, I think you're right. Retro and emotions can very well sell machines - that's the selling point of Commodore rebranded merchandise and - surprise - even AmigaONE/AmigaOS4.

two issues here:
    1st If you really wanna go retro then you need the Amiga brand. MOS has not and - to be honest - I am happy that it does not have it.
    2nd Retro might sell some units but it is the opposite of innovative (who does take the new VC-20 mp3 player by Commodore serious? Ít's a relabeld MP3 player by Tulip..). I really prefer to see Peg/MOS as an innovative thing than as a 80ies revival thing.
    If you wanna retro just buy an Amiga forever CD or browse the web for UAE.
    --

• »16.07.04 - 10:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

1st If you really wanna go retro then you need the Amiga brand.

Amiga brand won't sell ANYTHING anymore...

On the other hand old-time Amiga hits can sell a lot...

About the 2nd point: I'm not talking about emulating... If you read correctly, I'm talking about two things:

.Beast (or whatever) based on original graphics and sounds
    .NEW Beast using today technology: Radeon/voodoo graphics, maybe 3D ?, Alpha blending, 16bit soundtrack...

The goal is to:

.Sell Pegasos/MorphOS
    .Give interest in Pegasos/MorphOS
    .Give a reason for people to buy AND (unlike today) use Pegasos/MorphOS
    .Take over the World ;) (nah: just kidding ;))

Leo.
  • »16.07.04 - 11:41
    Profile Visit Website