possible new web browser
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

Its very nice to hear that you work on Atlantis. I hope that you will succed to finish this port soon. If you get this browser (based on the GTKHTML) running on MOS it will surely kick ass.

How much do you know about what I am actually trying to do ? Atlantis for the GNOME Desktop under Linux is based upon GtkHTML2 and not GtkHTML but this doesn't mean I am planning to use GtkHTML2 under MorphOS for the long go. I have in minds to use KHTML if possible which still needs to be verified whether it's possible to get it ported and how the C++ compiler on MorphOS SDK side plays with it. I need to see the two sides here not just the possibility of getting it ported, I also need to see the side of MorphOS and it's SDK and have to ask here whether the things and tools I have allows me to get a port done.

But that's not my point. My point is that people always come up and associate KHTML with AWeb and still associate it with Aweb even if one of the Developers (Me) told you that this will not happen for Aweb because I left Aweb. There was also never an interest for me in Aweb too as I said it was more or less to cooperate with the people to work on KHTML port. Now that Glenn has no time and me left the project who else is there to actually do the so called KHTML port ? None there, there aren't even powerful or better professional people working on Aweb itself. Not to mention that it's based upon an Widgetset (Reaction) which is not the standard chosen Widgetset under MorphOS.

So when you talk about Aweb, then you talk about what you have NOW and not what you might have in five years. The same applies for Atlantis, when I talk about it then I can only talk about the stuff I have NOW and not what I have in five years. The difference between Aweb and Atlantis is that I am not trapping people in misbelieving or wrong promises. Since day one of my project I told people that I am interested to try to get KHTML port done but I never promised anything and right now I am using HTMLview class for MUI to get some basic rendering stuff done until I have more time to do other stuff too. Not to mention that I don't owe the people anything. This is a total different thing if you clearly say from beginning that you might try it but you never promise it to not disappoint the people. The Aweb people somehow have promised it and that's something I didn't liked and that was also one reason to back out as one of the two KHTML Porter/Developers because I dislike to promise stuff that I haven't even bothered to look at that time. If this is meant to be public relations then it's quite poor and untrue public relations. Catching people in a believe that might happen or might not happen (most likely the latter).

If the work has been started by someone then I might happily join in to help out to not duplicate the work but teamworking with other developers also mean that you do your public relations on stuff that truly exist. I told HMK a couple of times that I dislike such announcements in the public as long as nothing has been done or started.
  • »03.07.04 - 20:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    @magnetic

i am simply throwing it out for suggestion, and look it turned into a good conversation
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »03.07.04 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    poundsmack

Thats fine. But you still havent answered my question of how many ports have been done that have been posted here?

I guess my thing is that you are so involved here but do not

a. Run Morphos

b Have a pegasos

its kind of strange to me

:-?

Dont get me wrong you seem like a nice guy..
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »03.07.04 - 23:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DethKnight
    Quote:

but do not...
    b Have a pegasos

Maybe poundsmack is like me and either

a> must wait for new production runs
    or more importantly
    b> waiting for the PEG's specs to reach a certain bare-minimum processing throughput factor
    I am ; therefore you are
  • »03.07.04 - 23:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    dethKnight hit the nail right on the head :-D believe me its nto that i dont want one its that money is very tight for me....ui mean i had to give up my apartment and move back in with my parents because work hit a brick wall.......and i am desperatly trying to find a new job as well as pay for college...so i am trying to save up....
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »04.07.04 - 00:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    I think that the problems of aweb on MorphOS will can be solved if they has a Pegasos :-)
  • »04.07.04 - 02:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hawk
    I can't bother to re-write my home-page for every single browser - those with no javascript, the ones with no CSS, nor UTF-8 support...

I use Gentoo Linux on my Peg everyday. I never reboot, unless some videos play slow under mplayer, in which case I use MorphOS version of mplayer, that runs fast. BTW, talk about nice, useful and finished ports: mplayer ;-)

But if I had to choose a browser under MorphOS, so far I have to choose IBrowse. The other simply don't work for me. The only thing that looks better under Voyager is that it supports true transparency (alpha channel) on PNG files (which I use in my home page), but then, frames do not display any content!! Also, japanese (non-UTF8) renders nicely under IBrowse.
    Pegasos II G3@600Mhz (no fan) 512MB RAM (1 slot)
    -- Maxtor 6Y120P0 120GB, 7200 rpm -- ATI Radeon 7500 - (64MB, TV-out)
    -- Minuet Slimline PC case -- MorphOS 1.4.5 + Gentoo
    EFIKA
  • »04.07.04 - 06:45
    Profile Visit Website