Open to Anything!
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    We have posted this presentation about our strategic direction online. Please do not be worried about MorphOS. It is still very much part of the picture...;-)

PegasosPPC -- The Open Platform

Your feedback is welcome!

Raquel and Bill :-)
  • »24.06.04 - 14:52
    Profile Visit Website
    DJBase
    I hope we will see in future many new Pegasos devices and MorphOS will take Advantages of all these new babies.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »24.06.04 - 15:04
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Us too!

...but do not forget the issues discussed in this thread, because they matter too.

Oracle on the PegasosPPC

Quote:

PegasosPPC is 90% a terrific story and 10% not G5, not 64 bit, not Oracle certified (yet), not available in polka dots. There are many customers where the 90% will provide 100% of their solution. <snip> The challenge is targeting the customers where the PegasosPPC 90% will deliver 100% of the customers required solution.

R&B :-)
  • »24.06.04 - 15:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    what do you mean exactly by Oracle on PegasosPPC? Oracle db connectivity or Oracle development tools? (it would be GREAT if that were to happen under MOS since I am a Oracle developer @ work)
  • »24.06.04 - 15:50
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Hi MagicM, really?! :-o

What we are discussing now is connectivity through a Linux client on the Pegasos (or just a browser). Read the whole thread and please let us know your thoughts. Thanks!

• »24.06.04 - 15:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Some time ago you mentionned the idea of letting manufacturers build Pegasos (they buy a licence and they may build Pegasos boards): has this slide anything to do with that ? (I did not have time to read it...) Is this idea still valid ?

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »24.06.04 - 16:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

DJBase wrote:
    I hope we will see in future many new Pegasos devices and MorphOS will take Advantages of all these new babies.

And I hope which I also soon my PegII get. I wait for my Upgrade already for October. :-)
    Mfg AmiMann
  • »24.06.04 - 17:14
    bbrv
    Hi Leo:

Why the Dell not!

Of course! :-D

P.S. AmiMann, when you get your upgrade, it will be a *real* upgrade...;-)
  • »24.06.04 - 17:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

Why the Dell not!

Of course!

"Dell"... hum ? ;)

So many things have been announced/discussed here or elsewhere and then dead and burried so I was just wondering if this was another one...

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »24.06.04 - 17:27
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Leo, nothing ventured, nothing gained...;-)
  • »24.06.04 - 17:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I looked at the slideshow and your response but I still dont get it.. Linux already has Oracle connectivity though, unless you mean Linux that is running on the Pegasos does not?
  • »24.06.04 - 19:10
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Hi MagicM, Oracle is focused on a 64bit implementation. We want them to recompile it for the 32bit PegasosPPC. Two Oracle customers are making the request for support. If it is all browser based it is no big deal. If we need something special for the Pegasos then we will cross that brdge when we come to it. The discussion is HERE.

• »24.06.04 - 20:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    As it's already available on MacOSX, porting it to Linux (PPC) shouldn't be a problem... But why would they do that ?
  • »24.06.04 - 20:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    well it seems to be a sound plan....tjhis way equils more sales plus better regognition witvh in turn equils more chash flow witvh alows for the oportunity to hire more developers witvh meana more people can make MorphOS greater and the pegasos kick more butt.....as long as bussiness is going forward this is a good thing.
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »24.06.04 - 20:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP on 2011/3/12 7:47 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »24.06.04 - 21:21
    bbrv
  • »24.06.04 - 21:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    as long as we dont tartget microsoft directly or worse partner with them in any way shape or form....but in oerder to expand the platofrm does indeed need ot apeal to everyone one not just nitch markets.....being partners with IBM and Moterola are good, they will help push the platform and make it better.....but in order to apeal to other consumers the motherboards need to have all the features new motherboards are having PCI express USB 2.0 etc.......because your average joe is gona see other baords mabey even for cheeper (probly x86 based) and say this has more cool bells and whistels (since he knows nothing of technology) and buy it because it has "all the latst features" regaurdless if he will ever use them.......take for example every person who sets foot in compUSA or circut city :-)
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »24.06.04 - 22:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    Quote:

The PegasosPPC, however, with its unique strategy, is focused on the other 97% of the market and has that entire market open for success.

Is there a single % of the computer market that's OPENED ?

Quote:

being partners with IBM and Moterola are good, they will help push the platform and make it better

I don't call "partner" IBM allowing BPlan to put a "Ready for IBM PowerPC" sticker on its website...

Leo.
  • »24.06.04 - 22:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Looks very interesting. But I'm not sure if advantages are clear. x86 can compete better in many areas. As I see PowerPC platform can compete only in services and that is providing a system tailored for customers.

And, I think Pegasos needs bit more. Altivec and GigE are nice but I feel something is missing still. Maybe bit better CPU specs or something like that. Paying customers love buzz words ;-)
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »24.06.04 - 23:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    What I mean is that Pegasos is not scalable enough. There must be an upgrade option for customer. G4@1GHz is not maybe enough for future needs. Or 2nd GigE port, Marvell Discovery II chip used in PegII supports two GigE ports but there is only one.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »24.06.04 - 23:33
    gunne
    itix and all ;-)

Of course there could be possibilities to have even more interfaces integrated into the hardware in the future. But I feel there is already many in the Pegasos as for now.

The Open Desktop Workstation smells good and means something. I believe open source software can be taken to further levels.

Solutions based on the Pegasos is very good working solutions.
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »24.06.04 - 23:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    RockmanX
    Hi everyone!

It's so good to see such an interaction between the company and its community!
    What I got from this discussion and from the slides on Genesi website, is the impression that Genesi has everything it needs to become something BIG.
    Talking about the Far East IT market, and let me say it, I would include Latin America too, believe me, it's clear that they want something different... Something that could allow them to go beyond what a Mac or x86-Win machine offers, but at the same time being cheap. Not to mention that developers of those nations are surely oriented to open-source rather that closed, for obvious reasons.
    So what Genesi needs is just getting known better on the international IT-battleground and maybe become what Linux and other open-source OSs always lacked of: a company that provides full support for both hardware and software and that cares about the users. Not to mention that the Pegasos platform could offer (in the future) so many options of customization (maybe for "big" users who require custom solutions) as to rival with x86 in scalability... It could produce the ultimate geek-machine as well as the ultimate graphic workstation or god knows what.
    The key is expansion and wide-thinking!
    So keep up the good work and believe in it as we do! :-)
  • »25.06.04 - 00:04
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ButterflyKisses
    expansion is always good as long as it is in the right direction. good job guys :-D
  • »25.06.04 - 01:15
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP on 2011/3/12 7:51 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »25.06.04 - 02:26
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    artickfox
    I think Pegasos have much potential.

PPC seem a powerful CPU, capable to use well actual tecnologies and cunsuming lesser power/resources than other kind of CPU. Seem also older PPC machines (G3 for istance) can run heavy programs whitout trouble, my Pegasos G3 600 Mhz can play Dvd very well. Also some "heavy emulators", like last Mame or DosBox releases are running well also with a Pegasos G3.
    For me this mean the platform is more robust than a 86x processor based: sometimes my old P3 450 have difficult alredy to play a 3d game, also if it's under the "minimal requisite"!. I think this will not happens if only I can run these games on my Peggy.
    Probably this will allow also "old" Pegasos version (like actual Pegasos 1) to rest competitive for long time. Probably this can help our platform, but I can't say how much can. I think older Pegasos versions probably will cost lesser, and this can be persuade many "lesser whealty" users to buy a Pegasos, becouse with a "cheap" expanse can have a machine capable to run well all existing software with dignity.

But I don't know if this will suggest a User to keep old models than upgrade them... but surely the fact my machine still competitive altrough it have a bit of age, is a good incentive to use and develop it than a different one. And maybe this will give a good fame, and suggest to buy last pegasos motherboard so we can have another good machine to use. :D

For me, seem also Pegasos platform become "old" much slowly than 86x platform. My pentium 3 450Mhz is become too slow to play also emulators (but... well, it have at least 7 years :D!).
    My Pegasos G3 seem have not much more Mhz than Pentium 3, between "450" and "600" there isn't much difference, and G3 PPC are around alredy some years, but Peggy have fast and efficenty at least double (or more!) than Pentium 3 to execute same last release of same emulators!

So, seem a good thing of this PPC machine is it's "longevity". Wealty customers can afford a big expanse to buy last model, but also a "poor customer" will buy a Pegasos, becouse also old models can execute well lasted programs witout too problems. Under this point of wiewn, Pegasos platform can be a platform for "all kind" of customer, rich and "lesser rich".

And, surely, Linux is a great ally. Is a adaptable platform, and probably a phenomeon which no-one can stop, simply becouse any kind of job have advantage to use a OS which can be adapted to run into any special kind machine. Also his titanic software archivie is something of invidiable. Support it is a natural marketing move. :)

From a "Player point-of-wiewn": if Pegasos is really so efficent, it should become a good gaming stations (and maybe an Emulation station :D). Games, expecially 3d games, require a lot of CPU power and RAM, than a 3d card power, and PowerPC seem have it in abdundance. So, I think a "heavy" (like future Doom 3) 3d game will run smooth on last Pegasos g4 or a future Pegasos g5. But at least, also emulators (in particular 86x emulators, platform where the major part of games are produted) into Pegasos should be find a powerful platform to run. At least, I have see MOS emulators running smooth, or at least decentely. (the only problem abouth 86x emulators: these programs often they lack of adeguate development on speed side, and this make them slow: DosBox and Bochs team also warm they emulators aren't fast).
    Virtual Paws:
    http://www.furryitalia.net/virtualpaws/index.htm
    Italian furry videogame site

Furry Italia
    http://www.furryitalia.net/
    Italian Furry Comunity

- Owner of a Pegasos 2/G3 -
  • »25.06.04 - 02:39
    Profile Visit Website