Some bounty-sugestions
    Kronos
  • »07.06.04 - 19:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Some good ideas, but could you please post some links to any apps that are for another system. It helps give people an idea of what it is, how it look, and any source code if its an open project.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »07.06.04 - 19:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @acill:

why only ports? i think kronos suggested to make a proper morphos program (MUI GUI, written from scratch, fitting Guidlines etc.).

I don't like the idea that bounties are only used for ports.

But maybe bounties can be used to help old amiga developers to finace a peg board so they can start porting/improving their apps to morphos.

regards,
    tokai
  • »07.06.04 - 19:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    I agree 100% with tokai. If there is a need for a program that does job XYZ well, then it shouldn't be limited to ports.

Then again, are any guidelines defined yet? I suspect commercial and shareware are out by default (it wouldn't be fair to double-dip, would it?). However, should the application be forced to be open-source? Could there be a new source-code sharing system implimented?
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »07.06.04 - 19:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I dont want just ports, but also new software. I'm just asking i people want a port of something thento please add a link for a current version is all. I WANT new software that is good like all of us do.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »07.06.04 - 19:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    posure
    I'll be making a post later today outlining current planned site features as well as how the site will function, nothing will be finalized until we get the community's input.
    psr.
    alkjfdjkahsSTRESSED OUTasjhfakdfa
  • »07.06.04 - 19:57
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Well well ....

Ports or not ports that is NO !! question ;-)

GDB, alias the GNU-debugger is out there, so it would be a port, but the one that I want would have a MUI-GUI.

The rapid-dev thing would need to be tailor-made for MUI, but that doesn't mean that one couldn't get ideas and some sources from similar projects on other platforms.

Databases and finance-apps do exist on Linux, and adopting them to MUI/locale/ARexx ought to be enough.

There are also free spellchecker, one would just need wrap them into a library, and define a suitable API.

Bout the bounties themself:
    Those should be free, and available with no strings attached, but I see no reason why the coder should be forced to go open-soure, or be forbidden to sell newer version.

But if a program is closed-source, it should go through intensive testing before the bounty is rewarded.
  • »07.06.04 - 20:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Kronos well said. I agree that the coder doesnt need to go open source at all. I do agree with the testing if they will get the bountie to make sure that the app works as requested if the choice to go closed is made. No problems at all with that.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »07.06.04 - 20:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Well beside a Browser, Office app for me the most wanted "big App" are some nice and propper working gfx Apps. Pixel 32 is such a candidate, because it seems to look and work exactly like my most used App Art Effect (Tokai, shhhhht :-D ) Don`t care whether it will be a port of the named app (which should be possible now, as it seems that the pascal compiler for MOS get ready.) Or something totally new (Well I have no clue about coding, but perhaps it might be possible to make Some Mui Stuff for a gui, and than include some effects from e.g. the Gimp)
  • »07.06.04 - 20:34
  • Targhan
    Personally, I think the source should be done as a per-item basis--depending on the program asked for. Not everything should include sources, and not everything be missing that as a requirement.

IE, let each item dictate it's source code availability on it's own.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »07.06.04 - 20:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    > GDB, alias the GNU-debugger is out there, so it would be a port, but the one that I want would have a MUI-GUI.

I could provide a graphical frontend for gdb, too, GoldED can display breakpoints (it can be used with the debugger in StormC). If anybody ports gdb, it should have a rexx port, not a GUI, and run as invisible server so that any frontend can be attached. The necessary protocol isn't terribly complicated, see StormC: just a few commands travelling between debugger and frontend that contain the breakpoint positions, the breakpoint states, the PC and commands such as STEPINTO, STEPOVER etc. Building a GUI into gdb would make it harder to integrate the debugger seamlessly into IDEs.
  • »07.06.04 - 21:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    posure
    Current ideas regarding sources for bounties that are included in my writeup I will be posting later today includes that full sources would be required however they will be privately held by the website administration, only released to developers if the original author does not wish to fix bugs. This way if major bugs or improvements are wanted people would not have to reinvent the wheel..Please hold off comments regarding these topics for the thread I will be making later tonight.
    psr.
    alkjfdjkahsSTRESSED OUTasjhfakdfa
  • »07.06.04 - 21:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Posure

Sounds good. This project is becoming real and I think it will go over well :-)

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »08.06.04 - 17:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    @Dietmar

That's sound nice (it's good for developers has some decent debugging system make development easier, since this seems the real problem for development in MorphOS), but professional and homebrew developers (some of games and others of apps) told me sincerely that gdb sucks, that is buggy, so this must be studied before port it (because AmigaOS 4.0 uses it not mean that we must use it) and see if there are a better alternative than GDB or there are one for MorphOS in progress.
  • »09.06.04 - 09:07