PegXMac problem(s)
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    I know there are a couple other threads on PegXMac, but there wasn't one specificaly on problems with it.

I'm encountering the following problem after booting the cd with the standard command line. It boots and takes me to the coloured PegXMac welcome screen, where it checks for the cd-rom drive and then starts to check the ram drive/size and begins to setup the install. It is then that I get the follwing error message:

SQUASHFS error: zlib_fs returned unexpected result 0xfffffffd
    SQUASHFS error: unable to read page, block 271532e, size 35de

I checked the md5checksum, but it's the same as printed on the PegXMac homepage. Does anyone now the nature of this problem, or has anyone encountered a similar problem (and found a way to solve it ;-) )? I have a april2 fixed peg1 with a voodoo3 2000 pci and 2x128 mb ram.

Thanx in advance!

ps.
    djbmister: I've pm'ed you with the same question, but I thought that others migt benefit from the (possible) solution/a thread on probs with PegXMac
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »01.05.04 - 17:12
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Try burning your image at the slowest possible rate. I used 4x and it solved my PegxMac booting problem.
  • »02.05.04 - 17:05
    Stevo
    Well, I'll be d**ned, it worked :-) Thanx jdryyz!

But now I'm facing another problem: while the setup is "creating directory's and symlinks on ramdisk" I get the error "...segmentation fault" followed by a screen full of error's, and than it either hangs or tries a reboot within 100 secs.

One down, ? to go; who's next to help?
    ---
  • »02.05.04 - 17:24
    Stevo
    Okay, after some puzzeling I got to the PegXMac "gui", by using the "mem=128M" option (using any other amount instead of 128M result in various errors). I do get a

"INIT : entering run level :5"
    "INIT : cannot execute "/etc/init.d/xsession."

but the commandline options work (e.g. "molvconfig" etc.). But when I try startmol --cdboot (using MacOS 9.1) I get screens full of kernel errors or sometimes the dreaded "SQUASHFS error: zlib_fs returned unexpected result 0xfffffffd"

C'mon guys, a little help from the people who did get OS9 running? I haven't tried OSX yet; I'll try that in the meantime.
    ---
  • »03.05.04 - 10:11
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Stevo,

I recommend that you try to download a new copy of the image and do another slow burn. I suspect you may still be having trouble with the CD itself.

Quote:

Okay, after some puzzeling I got to the PegXMac "gui", by using the "mem=128M" option (using any other amount instead of 128M result in various errors).
  • »03.05.04 - 15:27
    Stevo
    I just saw that the pegxmac.iso is updated, with a fix for the zlib errors! I'm dowloading it right now, and wil try the cd tonight; stay tuned!

(@jdryyz: you were right about downloading the iso for a second time :-) )
    ---
  • »04.05.04 - 18:28
    Stevo
    AAAAARGH!

Three try's, three hard crashes and even one with the dreaded zlib error! This is pure masochism! Why won't work! I even burned the darned iso at 4-speed!

Hmpf, I need a drink....

(nothing more frustrating than really looking forward to something, just to be disappointed at the spot :-( )

-edit

Not living up to my avatar, come to think of it ;-)
    ---
  • »04.05.04 - 21:14
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Aaron
    Stevo,

Well...Spock is half-human and not totally imune from emotions. He tried to kill Kirk at least once and he wanted to do the same to McCoy. :)

--Aaron
    --Aaron Diezman
  • »04.05.04 - 22:46
    Stevo
    - "I suspect you're becoming more and more human all the time."
    - "Captain, I see no reason to stand here and be insulted."

Now where is that cd; time for a nerve-pinche ;-)
    ---
  • »05.05.04 - 11:04
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Druideck
    I had OS9.1 installed and then I messed
    around until it didn't work.
    Now I am back to installing and rebooting
    to get it back again. GRRRRR!
    Welcome to the club :/
  • »06.05.04 - 06:51
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Paochi
    The real problem for me is that I installed MacOs 9.1, but the partition was not recognized as "bootable" :-( I'm alwayz forced to reboot using the MacOs 9.1 install CD.
    Some hints?
    "I hope that all my toys are, first of all, funny!" (Jay Miner)
  • »06.05.04 - 07:55
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    @Druideck and Paochi

:evil: You guys are evil, taunting me with stories of an installed MacOS 9.1 ;-)

You didn't have any problems installing it (using the commandline supplied on the PegXMac homepage?). If not, feel free to describe step-by-step to me how you succeeded in installing 9.1!
    ---
  • »06.05.04 - 09:09
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Paochi
    I configured a bit the various config files (if you have a G3 put YES in the ALTIVECDISABLED voice in the setting configmolrc.macos), then I invoked startmol --cdboot ... and after the booting I started the install on a choiced partition (that you MUST force under the same above configfile ...BE CAREFULL).
    AT the end I have an happy desktop with Navigator, Explorer 5 and so on ... but I cannot boot at from the Os9.1 installed partition :-( :-(
    All times I have to use the Boot CD and sure this is not only frustating but also limitating because without the use of an installed MacOs you cannot use any extra software or Internet connection and so on
    I asked the author here and on the yahoo group that actually is USELESS: in the group you cannot read the old messages! :-(
    At the end ... I spent my 3 euros for it ... but honestly, if you can, install a Linux Distro (Debian or Gentoo are welcome) and then MacOnLinux: reconfigure EVERYTIME all again all boot time is a self-frustating operation!
    "I hope that all my toys are, first of all, funny!" (Jay Miner)
  • »06.05.04 - 10:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Hmmm,

Yeah, I thought of the ALTIVECDISABLED switch (and the location of the right partition), but my problem lies somewhere in my memory config (I think). PegXMac crashes when using the standard boot-command line, but works with M=128M...untill I use the startmol --cdboot command.

Hope NekoXP comes up quickly with his "Linux-with-MOL-in-20-Steps" guide ;-)
    ---
  • »06.05.04 - 11:08