I would if I vould get pigging Linux to work! :-x
    --
    Robert.
  • »09.04.04 - 09:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    Say never never! Of course the old versions of PCx, (i)Fusion and Shapeshifter will not work on Morphos. But PC-emulation is possible with Bochs and even PC-Tasks works (with Windows 95!). I don't see any logical reason, why there shouldn't come a port of, for example, BasiliskII, Sheepshaver, vMac, or even MoL for MOS. Somebody just have to start coding instead of crying what's not working. Until about 1994 everybody thought that Mac-emulation without extra hardware is impossible on the Amiga. Later Amiga-emulation on a pc was impossible....
  • »09.04.04 - 10:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • ocs
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ocs
    A port of maconlinux" to morphos "mac2morphos" is possible?
  • »09.04.04 - 10:55
    Kronos
    MOL uses the MMU.
    The MMU is behind bars in MorphOS (for good reasons).

So MOM :-o would only possible if laire would write some extra APIs for it into Quark+Q/Box.

Or to misquote him: "Buy a Mac" :-P
  • »09.04.04 - 11:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    Quote:

by luky-amiga on 2004/4/9 10:27:30
    PC-Task works... Bochs is better.

Hi,

I'm agree with this.
    I never could acces and Hard file or create one. Floppies are unusable under MOS.
    Did you find a way to install a mdos on PC-Task?
  • »09.04.04 - 12:26
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    MMU unusable "for good reason"?? What kind of reason is that? But that does not make Mac-emulation really impossible. There is even Basilisk II for PC, they don't even have a 68k or PPC! Why not take the source of Basilisk for x86 or better: for BeOS PPC and make something usable from it? Anopther possibility would be MacOS Classic without virtual memory, like in older Shapeshifter versions, it runs on a plain A 1200 or CD32, without MMU!
    For emulating a Powermac I would prefer a kind of bootmanager, maybe basing on a tiny linux-kernel, which has the only work to let me choose between a full Linux, rebooting in Morphos or starting MoL. It is the difficult way, but faster than starting a "real" Linux first.
  • »09.04.04 - 18:32
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @DrZarkow

Well every good OS does hide the MMU one way or another. Wether it is (and should be) available via APIs is a different story, one that has yet to be told since we don't have a Q/Box available.

Sure Basilisk should work, but don't forget that it is emulating a CPU which will give a drastic performance downgrade unless you use JIT or compareable techniques. These do have the downside to be very closely tight to the host CPU.

MOL ain't that, it is more like Wine, mimicing an API which ain't really there, letting the host OS run at near 100% of native speed.
  • »09.04.04 - 19:39
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    Well, a 68k emu can be very fast, as we all know;-) This is exspecially with MacOS, they had to emulate 68k since MacOS 9.1... I've tried years ago FusionPC on a PC with 233 MHz. It was not much slower than my 68040/40 A4k. The fastest 68k Mac of all times is something usable I would like to have on my Peggy.

With MorphOS there is a trouble that there are no api to use the MMU yet, on the other hand you don't see much of a memory protection in the a-box, because any Amiga-app is able to crush the system. Hm.
  • »10.04.04 - 07:36
    Profile Visit Website