BeOS compatibility
  • Just looking around
    Leauki
    Since MorphOS is supposed to support the Amiga API and a new API (so I have heard), would it not be possible and maybe desireable to also implement compatibility with Be's API using either an installation of the freeware BeOS 5 or BeOS libraries plus a CFM loader?

Since BeOS seems to be dead on the PowerPC platform, wouldn't that make MorphOS a good option for ex-BeOS users?
  • »02.04.04 - 15:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    SixPack
    Please,post it in the German Forum.My english is to bad too translate this.

MfG
  • »02.04.04 - 16:06
  • Just looking around
    Leauki
    Quote:

Please,post it in the German Forum.My english is to bad too translate this.

German forum?
  • »02.04.04 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    jonas_kirilla
    The BeOS community is mainly x86, but there are also a few PPC (Mac and BeBox) users. German YellowTAB is hoping to release a "BeOS" (named Zeta) 6.0. Betas are out, but it hasn't been received well by the community. Remains to be seen if they can release an ok product and stay in business. (so far x86 only)

There is, however, the OpenBeOS project, which -is- targetting the PowerPC in addition to x86, and a port to the Pegasos has been initiated. The ETA is pretty much unknown though. (ie, don't hold your breath)

Adding a BeOS compatibility layer to MorphOS using the libraries of BeOS violates copyright. The "free" version of R5, Personal Edition, was x86 only. Disregarding that, it's still probably one heck of a stunt to pull off.
  • »02.04.04 - 16:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Leauki
    Quote:

Adding a BeOS compatibility layer to MorphOS using the libraries of BeOS violates copyright.

Yes, I realise that. However, I thought that a cooperation with Yellowtab could solve that problem. If YellowTAB support x86 only, then maybe Genesi and YellowTAB could cooperate in making a Be-enhanced MorphOS the effective BeOS/ppc version. I believe that both YellowTAB and Genesi could profit from this.

MorphOS would have more applications and YellowTAB wouldn't have to worry about discouraging BeOS application development as a BeOS application would then run (recompiled) not only on their version of BeOS but also on MorphOS, adding maybe one thousand users or so to the potential user base.
  • »02.04.04 - 16:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    SixPack
    Quote:

German forum?

Mainmenu ->Forum ->scroll down to the Section International House of Chatter -> Deutsche Foren

Hey Leauki,your Location is Berlin,Germany?
    You can read and write German? Than do it!

MfG
  • »02.04.04 - 16:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    Zeta doesn't have the source code to BeOS.

There are BeOS API layers ported to Win32. Maybe someone could port them to MorphOS? :-?
    - Ronald
  • »03.04.04 - 05:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

Zeta doesn't have the source code to BeOS.

Don't know if they got everything but yes they do have the sources.

Quote:

There are BeOS API layers ported to Win32. Maybe someone could port them to MorphOS?

Yes, they are based on OpenBeOS but don't know if it would be exactly easy to port them.

OpenBeOS should run on the Pegasos at some point though and even Zeta may be ported.
  • »03.04.04 - 17:33
    Profile Visit Website