Read the files deliverd to court by Bill McEwen? + KMOS inc.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    Yes, really good stuff. We can only hope it is a positive indication of things to come. After all, there are many that feel in the world of OSS, there is not much attraction left for closed source proprietary operating systems running on a PowerPC. It would sure be alot easier with some cooperation.

The Judge seems to have ruled without considering either the Amiga Inc. filing or the one we prepared for submission today. Maybe, it is all for the best. Honestly, it is hard to imagine anything more stupid to do than what they have done with Itek and KMOS, especially in the week the Judge was ruling on the modification. They will be lucky to get away with it, but we won't chase them. Their creditors will. For posterity's sake, take a closer look at Exhibit #4 from Bill McEwen. You note that we were trying to convince him the OS and DE were two separate things. We licensed both and must have done a good job persuading him because the rest is history. ;-)

Welcome to MorphZone. There is plenty of market inertia working against a successful MorphOS or OS4. It will take some cooperation from the Community to give either one a chance for success. Motorola is buying the Open Desktop Workstation because they want Linux. We are working on another project now, but it is a long way from the starting line to the winners circle and our potential success (which gives all a successful platform to work on) can only benefit from a supportive total community, blue, red, purple, whatever!

:-)

R&B
  • »18.03.04 - 11:34
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    BBRV: But what was the idea behind the case anyway?

It couldn't have been about getting rid of competition. AI in it's financial situation could not compete with anything.

Really wanted AmigaDE for Pegasos? Why? There's no software for it, no use for it. There are lots of other more interesting things which could have been brought to Pegasos.

OS4 for Pegasos? Why? It's long way of being completed, plus I see it as a slap on the face of MOS-team. Ok, so it could have boosted Pegasos-sales.. but enough to cover the expenses of this courtcase?

Finally, do you think it was worth it? :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »18.03.04 - 12:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Van_M
    Instead of fighting over AmigaDE around the world's court rooms, why don't you pay some 10 good programmers to port a good, fast JavaVM to morphOS? I prefer Alien Flux (Java based open GL shoot em up) over Planet Zed (Amiga DE shoot em up) at any day. Are there any good web browsers written on Java?
  • »18.03.04 - 12:50
    bbrv
    Hi Mikko, you have to remember the context of the Agreement and the situation at the time. We helped Amiga Inc. develop the strategy and then they turned around and did it without including us. It is fair to say that bplan were the ones that came up with the Zico spec before the show in Australia in 2000, but they never get credit for that either. No problem these things happen sometimes and we decided to take our own direction, but later, when you had Bill McEwen ranting about MorphOS being illegal, etc., etc. We felt like we did what we had to do to end the ranting and bogus public statements.

In the meanwhile, we had a number of conversations with Francis Charig (then and now). We will have an Intent ADK for the Pegasos. It won't be called AmigaDE. It will be called Tao's Intent.

Finally, we did not spend that much on lawyers. We wrote most of the briefs ourselves. All told it was less than $10,000 since the beginning. We might have another small bill to pay, but that is it.

As far as MorphOS and OS4 goes, both groups would do well to consider the market. There is none. Neither can compete today with MacOSX (or us with Apple) and what other platform is available for them to run with beyond the AmigaOne and the Pegasos. The OSS movement has proven that diversity is good and there is little that closed source proprietary operating systems can do to compete with this new world. The was alot of truth in Tim Mueller's MooBunny posts.

Now, before you think we are down on MorphOS we are NOT, but that is not what is fueling the growth of Genesi. Today, there is no money to be made from MorphOS. Remember, "we have a present for you." That is what it was and is. The SuperBundle? Another gift to the developers that included their applications and the users who took advantage of the opportunity. The Amiga market is not coming back. It is gone. Microsoft is focusing on the network, firmware and CPUs. Gateway's big money maker is a PlasmaTV and Apple's the iPod. The world is changing and if we want as a community to have a role in the future we have to change our thinking. Old ideas get limited results in a arena filled with titans. We tried to motivate this community and we put our money where or mouth was. Now we have to think about what is next. Is there some place to go with all this. Sure. We are working on it now and get ready to crank up the Demo Scene efforts. We know we are VERY late in getting boards to the ten teams. We will ship the rest in April to them.

Look here for the Press Release today on the Genesi website.

R&B :-)

P.S. BTW, we FINALLY have received the recognition from ATI that we are a player and are being added to the ATI Developer early release schedule. We will be getting PowerPC driver support and and they will give us their latest compiled lib/binary for PPC, so we can then insert this into our framework. That will get the Scene humming too...:-)
  • »18.03.04 - 12:58
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Thanks for the answer, I agree very much with what you said. The market indeed has changed and will continue to change. btw, 10k to shut a man up.. it would have been cheaper to buy him 500 lollipops to lick :)

btw, about OS4/MOS-team issue I mentioned. I didn't mean it was a "threat" to MOS, as each and every one of the already ported OS's is "bigger threat" to it already (in loosely cheekie-mode way of), not to say more profitable.
    I just mean what I said.. it would (maybe) have been a slap against the hardworking mos-team's face.

We will see what the future brings.
  • »18.03.04 - 13:13
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

P.S. BTW, we FINALLY have received the recognition from ATI that we are a player and are being added to the ATI Developer early release schedule. We will be getting PowerPC driver support and and they will give us their latest compiled lib/binary for PPC, so we can then insert this into our framework. That will get the Scene humming too...

HUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! :-D :-)
  • »18.03.04 - 13:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    Quote:

bbrv wrote:
    P.S. BTW, we FINALLY have received the recognition from ATI that we are a player and are being added to the ATI Developer early release schedule. We will be getting PowerPC driver support and and they will give us their latest compiled lib/binary for PPC, so we can then insert this into our framework. That will get the Scene humming too...:-)

If you don't mind me asking... Does that include 3D hardware support for ATI cards? :-?
    - Ronald
  • »18.03.04 - 13:39
    bbrv
    YES!

:-D
  • »18.03.04 - 13:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hmm.. ATI PPC_code for Radeon 2D and 3D support? Neat.
    http://somequicknotes.blogspot.com/index.html
  • »18.03.04 - 13:54
    matt3
    @R&B
    What is your long term goal for MorphOS?

Do you plan to keep developing the product?

My Peg II was just delivered to my residence, looking forward to using MorphOS.

Regards,

Matt
  • »18.03.04 - 14:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    marcik
    To be 100% sure - does it mean that MorphOS will use this libraries and we'll have 3d drivers made by ATI?
  • »18.03.04 - 15:18
    Crumb
    "P.S. BTW, we FINALLY have received the recognition from ATI that we are a player and are being added to the ATI Developer early release schedule. We will be getting PowerPC driver support and and they will give us their latest compiled lib/binary for PPC, so we can then insert this into our framework. That will get the Scene humming too..."

GREAT!!!! Well done guys!
  • »18.03.04 - 15:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Wow, recognized by ATI. Climbing the long ladder a step further...

To the rest of yor reply to Mikko, well I guess that was a good post. Honest words.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »18.03.04 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    @matt3

Hey BBRV are not saying anything new regarding future Plans... look at bbrv's previous announcements on this site, that will give you a better feeling for what they are talking about. Remember the announcement about the Open product lines.

Let me know How You like Mos, Did you order from Ultra Spec? If you need anything just ask.

Katos1
  • »18.03.04 - 18:20
    matt3
    Hi Katos1,

I will have to go read it, the message left here sounded like it was a gift and that was it. Glad to here they will be developing MorphOS further. I have alot of Amiga guys out here that are going to be placing orders after they see my system up and going.

I will let you know once I get a chance to install it. I have to take clients to the NCAA game tonight, so I probably won't touch it until Saturday.

Yes, I ordered from Nit at Ultra Spec. I ordered my SCSI card from Magnetic.

Take Care,

Matt
  • »18.03.04 - 18:57
  • Just looking around
    MarkTime
    Quote:

Gateway's big money maker is a PlasmaTV and Apple's the iPod

Apple's iPod contributed to $278 million in revenue in qtr 4.

All apple watcher's are pleased with the ipod. However, that compares to $238 million in software sales the same quarter, and their big money maker is actually their computer business, as one would guess, with 1.5 Billion in sales, 8% unit growth and 20% total sales growth.

Apple expects garageband and the iPod and other iLife applications to continue to grow their core computer business.

I would say that MorphOS and PowerPC is the most interesting product so far. sales may be slight, but whats the product thats selling better again? why is this site called morphzone?

This isn't actually a troll post...I just always wondered what benefit there was to selling a product and kind of slighting it too...there is no amiga market...type of thing. I've always felt we are here precisely because there is such a market. And if we are being drowned out by the linuxppc crowd, it would be fairly obvious. But we aren't.
  • »18.03.04 - 21:12
    hooligan
    >why is this site called morphzone?

We abandoned Smurphlandia in the last minute
  • »18.03.04 - 21:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    I agree with MarkTime. While I understand the importance of all of the ventures we are undertaking, we cannot underestimate the value of MorphOS.

While I suspect in the very near future other ventures will be the breadwinner, I believe that MorphOS is the bridge to the future. Think of it like the snowball effect. We have to explore every opportunity, but it all has to come back to MorphOS.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »18.03.04 - 21:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @Hooligansmurf

Is that domain still available? :-P :lol: 8-D

Smurflandia... darn that's funny. Don't make me create yet another theme!!!

/me hears the morphzone membership moaning in the background, "Not _another_ theme..."
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »18.03.04 - 21:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I was reading all posts and do you know what I found more interesting?
    The >4432 Views!!!
    Publicity is good thing though..:-P

I'm sure that a good-end will come for all sides.

And bbrv do not forget the users, because at the end; thats the thing that counts the most!
    That was the spirit of Amiga's success too, and they earned it...they just lost the track at the end, but I respect them.
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »18.03.04 - 21:34
    bbrv
    Hi MarkTime, thanks for the post and welcome to MorphZone. Please do not misunderstand our earlier post. Without this market and MorphOS we would not be here. The reference to Apple and the iPod was directed at profitability. Are you suggesting we send you another Pegasos? :-)

@liquidbit - well, you do not have to worry about us forgetting about the users. Haven't we proven ourselves for that yet! :-?

As Targhan said of course MorphOS is the bridge to the future, but we have to create the market. The market is not there today and as you might guess that is what we attempt to do daily -- create the market. :-D

R&B
  • »18.03.04 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    yes you prove it every day...I'm trying to say
    "Build here and stay here". :hammer:
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »18.03.04 - 23:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.03.04 - 09:37
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Given Amiga has filed a Motion for Dismissal, it looks like we are headed back into Court. This time we have the opportunity to make a few points. It looks like there will be a "knock out punch" after all.

The OEM Software Agreement is for the AmigaDE "Operating System." The first recital in Paragraph 2 is : "Amiga develops state of the art operating system technology..." and the second, "Amiga has developed a DE Operating System to which it owns all substantial rights." It must not be talking about Tao's Intent here. ;-) Ask yourself why it is characterized as an operating system if it is not? And, why in Paragraph 5.1 it states the "DE Operating System, which may include, but is not limited to, a Java enabled browser, MP3 and a mail client." There is an incongruence here with the statements that are being made today. Why? Because what Bill McEwen agreed to was an operating system license. What he claims today to have licensed and what he licensed are two different things. Our earlier post in this thread discusses this. We think his Exhibit #4 is ample evidence to support this assertion.

As to the copies of posts online now submitted as evidence of something sinister from our side. What is the relevance? We are entitled to render any opinion or forecast we want. Certainly, Amiga Inc. has done the same. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. This was discussed earlier too. Ultimately, the Judge's decision is the only thing that matters. He has made a ruling and even modified it for more specific performance. Will he now dismiss the ruling he has twice affirmed? Maybe, maybe not. We doubt it.

A few more things:

- For those that still do not understand the definition of "Affiliate" please read the definitions in 3.1. That is the means by which Genesi was added to the case.

- Sublicense issues are clearly defined and valid (4.2.4).

- Amiga Inc. receives royalties from this Agreement. Amiga Inc. still own everything! There is no "theft" involved anywhere.

Finally, a little word for those that suggest we should be spending more time managing "the Company" than posting on these threads. It is our opinion, that you do not understand the power of communication and the nature of this Community itself if you believe this. This Community *is* part of "the Company." We did not develop Papyrus, Knights and Merchants, MLdonkey, AutoDoc reader or another few hundred applications for MorphOS. Others did. They are out there and they are reading this. So, are thousands (now) of Pegasos users that find and report problems, make suggestions and participate in welcoming new users to the platform. We wish we could write a word of thanks to every single one of them. We do try to answer all the emails, but with a couple hundred arriving daily it can be a challenge. These Forums are a good way to get the word out to all the interested people. We are all in this together. That is what a *Community* is. Look at the number of views for this thread. This is something many do not understand. How else could we communicate so broadly and quickly? In the meanwhile, we are human too. We have emotions, ambitions and hopes for the future. We share them, perhaps too much for some at times, but you at least know we are alive and have an opinion. And, do not forget that this Community has been embroiled in some very emotional conflicts for many years. It is nearly impossible to do anything without stirring up some conflicting or insulting response to almost any post. It all just comes with the territory.

We continue to march ahead. The Pegasos is gaining ground as the de facto standard for the PowerPC desktop machine and both Motorola and IBM are promoting it as such. Before the SNDF in Frankfurt in September we will have at least one OEM producing the Pegasos and many of the things we have suggested over the last three years will finally be moving ahead because we FINALLY have a real product in the Pegasos II. All that is good for MorphOS and any other OS that runs on OF and the PowerPC.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement.

R&B :-)
  • »20.03.04 - 13:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Spidey
    @everybody involved in creating the Peggy's and MorphOS:
    Thank you for making these products for us, customers who want something else than regular pc's :-)

@Zylesea:
    Thanks, I'll go visit the site.

Spidey
  • »20.03.04 - 15:30
    Profile Visit Website