MorphOS development on other platforms?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Leon
    To develop for MorphOS, we need either a Pegasos or a PowerPC based Amiga system (CPPC, BPPC). Is it also (or can it be made) possible for developers who are curious about the platform but don't have such systems yet, to establish a development base so they can write applications for MorphOS? For example the x86 architecture?
    Proud owner of:
    Efika
    ABIT ATI 9200SE AGP 128MB
    40GB Samsung Hard Drive 5400rpm
    -----
    PowerMac 3.1 G4 350Mhz "Sawtooth" AGP
  • »14.03.04 - 11:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    Much time is passed since Berndt Meyer received a Pegasos1. I hope he will give us "Morphthlon", soon or later. This would solve the problem...
    Powered by PegasosII-G4, MacMini, PowerMac MDD.
  • »15.03.04 - 00:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    MorphOS on x86 would really mean a suicide for the Pegasos platform. Lot of users choosed Pegasos because the great backward compatibility with AmigaOS applications, and because the unique responsibility and speed it gives. With a MOS port on x86, most users would choose a cheaper x86 platform instead, which would slowly kill the Pegasos. Just like BeOS x86 port killed BeBox, and just like an OSX x86 port would kill PowerMac...

From an unique system, based on the best traditions, and aimed to provide a better future, MorphOS would be degraded to an N+1 OS for the x86. And i think no one really wants that. Especially not the MorphOS core team, i guess. :)

Pegasos and MorphOS can only rise or fall together.

Anyway, to develop for MorphOS, you can use any Amiga emulator on x86 with GCC. Since all well-written Amiga applications can be ported to MOS by simply recompiling it with a MOS/GCC.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »15.03.04 - 00:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    I think 'Morphthlon' or more 'Pegathlon' means an application which will make possible classic AmigaOS/68k emulation over a Linux kernel on Pegasos hardware (so just like Amithlon does on x86) and not a MorphOS/PPC emulation over a Linux kernel on x86 hardvare.

I guess the later one is not good for Genesi, so they wouldn't give a Pegasos for that. But someone will surely correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyway, i see no use of a 'Morphthlon' or 'Pegathlon' anyway, since why would one want to run a Linux to run Amiga software on Pegasos, when we have MorphOS, which offers lot of other advancements over classic AmigaOS?
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »15.03.04 - 00:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    I was hoping to hear that morphos would work on a mac-lots of them around could be a good way to keep an old one in use is anyone doing that?
    later
    kdub
  • »15.03.04 - 04:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    > Chain-Q:
    > MorphOS on x86 would really mean a suicide
    > for the Pegasos platform...

This is an old argument, and I completely agree. I don't want MorphOS ported on the x86 platform. Anyway, this porting would require years and a very big effort, which is now unattainable by Genesi, I presume.

But my point actually is completely different. "Morphthlon" on the PC, instead, could be a primary advertisement tool for our platform. It could be a mean to show to old Amiga users and other interested people that the platform is still alive and moving along a new route. The emulator would be sufficiently fast to show the astonishing responsiveness of MorphOS, but would be slower than the real thing, the PegasosII.

After a demonstration we could ask the following questions: "Do you want this responsiveness and much more? Do you want again freedom and fun on a computer?" And we could even propose the answer: "Then leave your 4GHz PC and buy this 1GHz-only object, because it is faster for everything that heavily uses the OS (you know very well that Windows is bloatware!). Come with us and enjoy again your computer experience."

Morphtlon would also be a simple way to use our platform and create programs for it. It would be an ideal solution for people interested to try, even if they don't want to buy the expensive (for the PC people) PegasosII hardware.

In both cases we would gain new supporters and visibility, and our platform would not suffer the x86 competition.

Unfortunately, all the previous discussion is based on an object that still does not exist, and maybe could never exist... Dear Berndt, are you preparing a surprise for us?