Morph OS
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    im thinking about buying a morphos system instead of an os4.0. As i have a wintel, but really want another system agian. I miss my old amiga 1200. Anyways if you coudl please post why you hate or love morph os. PLease jsut dont post i hate or love morph tell me why. Also if you can tell me what software is out there for morphos links would be usefull. :-?
  • »09.03.04 - 07:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Well first off, welcome to MorphZone; I'm glad you could join us.

To cut to the chase, MorphOS runs the software I want to use. Now for some useful links:

1. faqs.morph.zone
    In general, you can see what people have had problems with, how they fixed them, and you can even see fixes for problems on older versions of MorphOS.

2 Intro to MorphOS
    Heavy graphics for this slide, but it's got a lot of good basic information about who, what, when, and where.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »09.03.04 - 08:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    It is something I dreamt my Amiga to be. And most importantly it's still developed.

Provides me a very modern and breathtakingly fast look and feel, with a reliable system lying under. It's still (at least the A/Box part) affected by many shortcomings of the AmigaOS API, but all that could be done was made to make it as modern and reliable as it can be. (the A/Box will never have the same stability as full memory protection and resource tracking could provide though, but the room is there for the Q/Box)

I happily use 200 gigabytes of HDD space with enermous partition and file sizes, replay movies, watching the picture of a Radeon 8500 with 128Mb DDR memory - all in an environment which feels like a dramatically boosted Amiga.
  • »09.03.04 - 08:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Yvan
    I hate and love my Peggy. As you already have positive feedbacks I will tell you what I hate:

- printing doesn't work with my HP Deskjet 560c
    - no native IP stack
    (I have to work with an unregistered Miami
    version)
    - sometimes it slows down and I have to reboot

Printing and IP should be fixed with Morphos version 1.5
  • »09.03.04 - 09:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    i love:

- speed (e.g. the enormous responsiveness)
    - transparence of the system (I can fully control it, there is nothing hidden)
    - design
    - After many amiga years I feel just "home"
    - a friendly community with helping members
    - amazing system stability (compared to AOS 3.x)
    - seeing the system evolve and feeling the enthusiasm
    - easy to program
    - hw not too expensive but reliable and very silent (me having a g3)

i hate:

- missing applications (office, decent brower)
    - sometimes lack of communication regarding timeframes (MOS1.5 anyone?)
    - waiting for an update
    - old applications which shoot the system
    - no "real" sdk (something like xCode would be welcome)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »09.03.04 - 09:47
    Profile Visit Website
    Tcheko
    Hello,

Quote:

Yvan wrote:

[...]

[...]

I experience the same slow down problem. Anyone have a clue?

MOS is a nice OS : fast, quite reliable but still missing (as amigaos) killing app. No good browser with java/ecma/css2 support, no NLE software using firewire for example.

It is still missing some important stuff :

Full native OpenGL API
    Native TCP/IP stack
    No multiuser support from scratch

The documentation about system (from firmware to mos) is light.

A lot of thing have to be done but it is a VERY enjoying toy.

When I switch my peg on, I remember my first step with my A500 (1987!). (Amigabasic & diskdoctor are missing huhuhu! :))) )

It sounds smells feels like Amiga computer.

Go on!
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »09.03.04 - 09:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Aaron
    I upgraded to Pegasos just under a year ago. It is an excellent
    system. Just keep in mind that MOS is a young operting system. There
    are things missing, but I have full confidence that these will be
    resolved over time. I'm an early adopter and accept the excitement
    and shortcomings that come with the territory.

Visually, MOS is stunning. I don't know how much you remeber about
    your A1200 and the GUI patches available for AOS, but MOS integrates
    the functionality of Magic Menu, Visual Prefs, and Birdie. An
    upgraded MOS-native version of MUI is also integraded into the GUI.
    MOS also does some of the tricks found on other modern GUI's such as
    opaque window dragging, anti-aliased text, and 32-bit icons.

AHI, Turbo Print, SFS, CyberGraphix, and Poseidon are part of the OS.
    All them are MOS-native. The list of MOS-native software titles is
    growing all the time. Amiga emulation works well and most of the
    mordern retargetable productivity applications work. There is a
    MOS-native UAE for games.

The OS is VERY responsive. Much more so than the Windows machines
    that I have to use at work. I hardly ever have to wait for the
    computer to do anything. When I run software, I click its icon and
    BOOM--there it is. There is hardly any load time at all.

The other thing I like is the company. Genesi is a terrific company
    that supports its users and developers. They are also visible.
    Company officials post here, at morph-news.de, and on the mailing list
    frequently and they resond to emails in a timely fashion.

As I said, there are things missing. There is not a TCP stack, but
    there will be one. Managing files is a little rough. At least I got
    good at using the Shell again. I also miss the separate
    selected/deselected icons.

I have NEVER been sorry for buying my Pegasos. It made computing fun
    again.

--Aaron Diezman
    --Aaron Diezman
  • »09.03.04 - 11:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Wasn't that fixed in the 1.4.2 release? (coused by memory fragmentation)

At least it might happen less often now...
  • »09.03.04 - 13:08
    Profile Visit Website
    Spidey
    Hi Aaron,

You certainly summed it up nicely! :-D
    I don't know what to add to this :-)

For managing your files, look for DirOpus4.16 (and the updates)!

Bye,

Spidey
  • »09.03.04 - 13:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Estrayk
    Config: PegasosII G4/1000, 256MB DDR400, VooDoo 3000 AGP
  • »09.03.04 - 14:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    I bought the AmigaOS3.9 CD just to get my hands on the key file to Genesis (I then downloaded the MUI version from aminet). My Pegasos has been online 24/7 since the beginning of last week. There are a few other goodies you can copy from that CD as well, and it's not very expensive, so ...
    :-)

But of course, nothing would beat a PPC native stack for MorphOS ...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »09.03.04 - 15:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I hate my system but I cant stop using it. :-P :-P

Honestly it is awesome. If morphvnc would update alot faster and you wouldnt have to click to see a screen update, I probably wouldnt have to use my PC as much. One of the main things I love is VNC..I have my PC (windows) downstairs and my Pegasos in my bedroom..so I use the Peggy all the time and if I use the PC, its via VNC.

whoever wrote morphvnc, I love that app!

to answer your question... why do I like it.

Its not the system only..its the community...also a bunch of programmers spending their time writing apps that way we can have more fun with it. BB&RV keeps us up-to-date on whats going on. With their updates you actually have a glimpse into the direction this system is going. No secrets or months waiting on what the hell is going on etc.

-Alex
  • »09.03.04 - 15:35
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    ty for all the feed back im goign go through anbd check the links. Two questions i have off hand.

How well do usb devices seem to work (memory sticks things like that)?

Also frankly eigher ive got something set wrong or do not like this forum lol. it dont show a bunch of messages i have to sit and left click on em kind of anoying.
  • »09.03.04 - 17:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    you'll need fat95 for the pc formatted stuff (like memory sticks). It's free on aminet.

for the posts, please check your account settings. Change your forum view from "Threaded" to "flat," and your provlem will be solved.

• »09.03.04 - 18:40
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    Cool ! that fix the forum =).

Ok now to programing =)

When i program I like it to mean something and I can see that here. However as a poor guy I like to also sell my work. Problem with linux community is they want it all free. If im goign to to put 500 hours into somethign you bet I want somethign back. How giving does the morphos comunity seem?

Btw give you an idea i believe honestly programs that are 100 is bit rediculios. I much more happy selling to all beetween 5 and 30 depending on the work. One other thign that ticks me off is developers that decide they no longer want to code for a platform should open there previos works to open source to help the community thrive.
  • »09.03.04 - 18:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I wouldnt mind paying for software...if its worth paying for :) ie. a GUI development toolkit, i'd buy that for a dollar. LOL
  • »09.03.04 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    There are many interesting developments coming for MorphOS, but in our opinion (and it is JUST that), the first occasion to really sell MorphOS (and it should be a BIG one) will be when it is ready for Apple New World PowerPC-based machines. Talk about a SWITCH campaign...;-)

Then, the application development community would have a chance to sell a whole bunch of new software!

R&B :-)
  • »09.03.04 - 19:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    flibblesan
    I know I'm getting a Pegasos as soon as I can. I'm not an ex Amiga user, I just want a quiet but powerful computer.
  • »09.03.04 - 21:06
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    interesting to mention that as people at amiga world will make you think that morphos is a few x amgans. there is alot of talk from alot of people about morphos that never did anythign with the amiga. Im really tempted to buy morphos at this point myself and am working to save the money.
  • »09.03.04 - 21:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    Quote:

the first occasion to really sell MorphOS (and it should be a BIG one) will be when it is ready for Apple New World PowerPC-based machines. Talk about a SWITCH campaign...

can someone explain what this means?
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »09.03.04 - 21:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

bbrv wrote:
    There are many interesting developments coming for MorphOS, but in our opinion (and it is JUST that), the first occasion to really sell MorphOS (and it should be a BIG one) will be when it is ready for Apple New World PowerPC-based machines. Talk about a SWITCH campaign...;-)

Then, the application development community would have a chance to sell a whole bunch of new software!

R&B :-)

I'm glad to read this! IMHO, that's the right way to go. I know that Mac support has been planned since early days.

I wrote almost a year ago that it might be a good idea to simply distribute the first versions of the OS on Direct Connect and similar services in order to get it as widely spread as possible. One could always change this policy later, but in an initial phase it's of course very important to get a broad user and developer base as fast as possible.

Developers, developers, developers! (Ballmer) ;-)

But IMO this has not been possible to do yet. And it still isn't. Some developers might have "suffered" from this up till now, but the fact remains that Mac users (or new users considering Mac hardware (such as laptops) to run MorphOS) would simply take some things for granted. TCP/IP is one thing among some others, and MorphOS has simply not yet reached that level of development yet. Hopefully, the "Pegasos" version 1.5 of MorphOS could function as a "Mac" version 1.0 when it comes to features.

Genesi is pushing both hardware and software, but nothing says that any of those ought to hold the other back; they should instead be able to help drawing each other forward. They should be allowed to be developed in their own respective territory (besides the common grounds), and gain whatever benefits they can on the way, and then in a (not too distant) future they might join forces again in a more tight and closed bond.

I myself would most be interested in the "cheaper" Mac laptops for MorphOS usage. The Mac G5 desktops are IMO too darn expensive, and I would rather wait for a future Peg3 G5.

Terra Soft is selling Mac hardware with Linux, right? Could they sell Mac hardware with MorphOS as well?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »09.03.04 - 23:28
  • Targhan
    zephar,

Many of us are Amigans. We dont' consider ourselves "ex amigans." Many of us still have and use our "old" Amigas. I used to be with the UGN when it was still around.

Take a look at this link and it's readme. Okay, so it isn't exactly a mona lisa, but I've contributed a little here and there ;-) And, my contributions, by in large, are small compared to the likes of many who are actively supporting MorphOS.

Most of us are challenged for our identity. We are amigans, yet we are not. We are former Amigans, but we still participate in the Amiga community each and every day. Watch as we try to pass AmigaOS/PPC in the dnet competition, but also insist that the team to join is TeamAmiga.

Some want an end to the Amiga heritage, other want to embrace it. Still more, are just plain confused about how to make the call. Yes, there are some "ex amigans," but there are also "current amigans" too.

Maybe it isn't "what we are," but, rather, "what else we are."

• »09.03.04 - 23:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    i am not sure is genesi has thought of this so here we go.
    if MorphOS gets released on a mac....i will get a mac Not a pegasos. i don't say that to be mean, but y on earth would you get a pegasos when u could get a mac? what are the advantages? i think a lot of people would think in this same way i do too. a mac can run OSX nativly.......and run linux and everyhting else. whats the advantage of a pegasos. i could have morphos on a laptop on my ibook now.......yes it will get more developers but u are not gona sell nearly as many pegasos boards.......if any at that point....at least in my opinion
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »10.03.04 - 02:07
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    Targhan, i wrote below a hair wrong as honestly and im goign to wait and see. Amiga inc. does not feel like amiga and morphos does. in my mind morph is starting to fit the ball morphed into a butterfly, but will see lol. :-P
  • »10.03.04 - 02:09
    Profile Visit Website