ImageFX 4.5 on Mac Mini (SOLVED)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Hello. I have installed IFX 4.5 (the one from A-EON) but something is wrong. I used InstallerLG because the installation with the provided Installer 43.3 ends with "Error message: Value out of range".

ImageFX starts but the pallete window and others are displayed wrong. Here is a screenshot.

Screen01.png

Mac Mini with MOS 3.18 recently installed from scratch. The same IFX installation works on my PowerBook with MOS 3.18 (but it was installed using some previous MOS version).

Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks!

[ Edited by emeck 21.01.2024 - 14:29 ]
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »11.01.24 - 20:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    AFAIK only ImageFX Lite will run on MorphOS - don't know what this version is compared to yours. I use it often - even on a Mini (Mos 3.18). Estonishing that 4.5 will work......
    There is nothing special to install - just put the whole directory anywhere and set a assign to it (in my case assign ImageFX3 Work:............).
    Then choose a 24Bit-sctreen in Prefs/"Settings"/Preview-options. On "Modules" set Preview to WindowedCGX.

Has this Mini enough VRAM? If you use hi-res screens it may run out of memory - maybe playing with Double and Triple-Buffering wil help in this case or reduce resolution. You may also test a 16Bit screen for IFX, but I don't know if this works.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 11.01.2024 - 21:57 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »11.01.24 - 21:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Estonishing that 4.5 will work......

It mostly does, see that thread (especially the link in comment #6).
  • »12.01.24 - 00:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    AFAIK only ImageFX Lite will run on MorphOS - don't know what this version is compared to yours. I use it often - even on a Mini (Mos 3.18). Estonishing that 4.5 will work......

I have 4.5 working in my PowerBook since a couple of years. No problem there.

Quote:

There is nothing special to install - just put the whole directory anywhere and set a assign to it (in my case assign ImageFX3 Work:............).
    Then choose a 24Bit-sctreen in Prefs/"Settings"/Preview-options. On "Modules" set Preview to WindowedCGX.

It comes packed in several lha files with an installer. That is what I used when installing on my PB.

Quote:

Has this Mini enough VRAM? If you use hi-res screens it may run out of memory - maybe playing with Double and Triple-Buffering wil help in this case or reduce resolution. You may also test a 16Bit screen for IFX, but I don't know if this works.

VRAM is OK, I have 39Mb free (of 64) right now with IFX and Wayfarer running. I can open images but the tool's windows are not displayed correctly.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »12.01.24 - 07:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Estonishing that 4.5 will work......

It mostly does, see that thread (especially the link in comment #6).

Yes, I have read that thread. That is how I remembered I had you use another installer. 43.3 doesn't work either so InstallerLG is what I used.

Also copied the Text file from the archive, although it seems to be the same already installed in this version, and the YUVSPLIT files are not installed neither.

I have even copied over my working installation from my PB but the problem is still there. So there is something else missing...

Edit: I'll install MOS 3.18 again from scratch during the weekend on the Mac Mini just in case.

[ Edited by emeck 12.01.2024 - 07:56 ]
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »12.01.24 - 07:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Interessting - did'nt know that, but found now an old thread about 4.5: https://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_286.html

@emek:
    I don't think that your 3.18-installation is the problem....
    If it works on PB, why don't you try a attempt and copy it 1:1 to Mini (or only the prefs-files)i? All Prefs are stored inside IFX-Directory.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 12.01.2024 - 08:55 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »12.01.24 - 08:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Interessting - did'nt know that

Well, you participated in some threads where ImageFX 4.5 was described working on then-recent MorphOS by actual users ;-)

>> I have even copied over my working installation from my PB but
    >> the problem is still there. So there is something else missing...

> If it works on PB, why don't you try a attempt and copy it 1:1 to Mini
    > (or only the prefs-files)i?

That's what he said he tried, didn't he?
  • »12.01.24 - 12:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    May be - I can't remember these old threads (I'm human - not a computer!)

Ok, you're right. I saw now he wrote that he has copied it - seems it was too early in the morning for me.....
  • »12.01.24 - 20:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I can't remember these old threads

Me neither. I've just memorized the fact that ImageFX 4.5 runs on MorphOS. And each time I want to know specifics (which I keep forgetting) about this, I use the MorphZone search function :-)
  • »12.01.24 - 21:36
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _coliN_
    Quote:

emeck wrote:
    Hello. I have installed IFX 4.5 (the one from A-EON) but something is wrong. I used InstallerLG because the installation with the provided Installer 43.3 ends with "Error message: Value out of range".

ImageFX starts but the pallete window and others are displayed wrong. Here is a screenshot.

Screen01.png

Mac Mini with MOS 3.18 recently installed from scratch. The same IFX installation works on my PowerBook with MOS 3.18 (but it was installed using some previous MOS version).

Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks!

Yes, the installer of the Aeon CD is not working. Here the same.

Perhaps it has to do with your MUI Theme and the screen resolution I saw on the screenshot?
    And does ImageFX require gadtools package?
    But this should be installed already in your system for other old 3.1 applications….

Good luck!
  • »13.01.24 - 08:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I seem to remember you need to use the Workbench 3.x installer v44.10 which you should exchange for any other installer used to install it onto MorphOS. :-?

It's a while since I installed v4.5, though I generally use IFX v4.0, as I don't find many differences I need that were added into v4.5, probably just me. I have both, well I've got all the main releases since v1.x . . . it's just that I usually use Image FX v4.0. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.01.24 - 09:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    @all

Solved! The problem with the windows inside the program, like the color palette or resize tool was because of a missing font. Once configured correctly in Interface Preferences -> Child window font all windows are shown correctly now.

The other problem, causing Installer 43.3 or 44.10 to fail (message about not able to create the drawer for installation), was because the def_drawer icon (it was shown as SVG icon in the information window of any drawer without icon.) After replacing def_drawer with a PNG icon, installation finished correctly with installer 43.3.

[ Edited by emeck 21.01.2024 - 14:30 ]
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »21.01.24 - 14:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ emeck - Glad you managed to solve it, and thanks for adding your findings/discoveries, which are probably of use to other users who want to install ImageFX v4.5 or any other installation/version of ImageFX. 8-D

I don't think that the SVG default icon creation by MorphOS had been implemented when I last installed ImageFX v4 & v4.5.

Maybe this SVG icon issue needs to be brought to the attention of the MorphOS Development Team? :-?

As I found out recently that Piru only just solved a slightly different issue with Dual-state PNG icons with MorphOS

If you send them a bug report, which I personally feel this issue warrants, even though it's not part of MorphOS directly, it does affect an installation of software that is historically supported, so ... if you do, then please add an additional comment on here, so we all know it will get looked into at some point. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »22.01.24 - 05:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Maybe this SVG icon issue needs to be brought to the attention of the MorphOS Development Team? :-?

No. Installer 43.3 and 44.10 are old, they come from the Amiga times. It doesn't make sense to send a bugreport for the MOS Team about external components. you better tell Matthew Leaman to provide an update instaler script for ImageFX because he and his AmigaKit are the owners of ImageFx 4.5 and sell it: http://apps.amistore.net/imagefx/. My guess: they cannot update the installer because they only borrow it from Hyperion and OS4 and OS3 do not support SVG icons. So they will not fix the installer.

OR you ask the MOS Team to make their own MOSSYS:/C/Installer handle old scripts like these. This installer is from 2015, so maybe they want to update it. BUT: The installer is usually configured in the tooltypes of a program, e.g. in the icon of ImageFX on the CD. There it is written to use the Commodore installer from the CD and not the system installer from MorphOS. So the user has to know before that he first has to copy the stuff to a local disk or RAM, change the tooltype to the MOS Installer and then run the Install program.
  • »22.01.24 - 13:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ connor - I think you have not realised the issue I mentioned correctly.

The issue relates to SVG icons . . . which is a SVG issue entirely related to MorphOS. 8-)

ImageFX was supported by MorphOS as a 68k program using Trance, but if the SVG implementation has "broken" that compatibility as MorphOS modified icons to be SVG implementations instead of its original PNG icons then . . . that is what I am identifying as a possible issue that the MorphOS Development Team might, or maybe should, consider support for older Amiga era programs that might be susceptible to this issue and halt when being installed for no apparent reason, and maybe an alternative PNG icon creation option could be offered or turned on for such programs' installation to be able to complete successfully. ;-)

Then there's ImageFX that can create "nail" icons for images that no other program AFAIK, can render, so I don't use them as they just take up data space, and MorphOS shows thumb"nails" in any folder in any case so they are not required when using MorphOS. Though I suppose it was 'novel' (innovative) in-the-day for ImageFX to be able to that. 8-D
  • »22.01.24 - 15:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Matthew Leaman […] and his AmigaKit are the owners of ImageFx 4.5

Matthew Leaman and his (and others') A-Eon, actually :-)

> My guess: they cannot update the installer because they only
    > borrow it from Hyperion

They could commission yet another rewrite like they've done for numerous other AmigaOS components.
  • »22.01.24 - 15:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    @connor

Well, it can be a problem with installer being too old and also with InstallerLG. Although it was successful at installing IFX4.5 there was an odd behaviour with that installation.

I have explained it here just in case.
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »22.01.24 - 18:06