Strange behaviour with HD access on a PowerMac G5
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Hello everybody,

After killing 2 iMac G5 last week-end... yes, I'm a G5 killer... I restart my PowerMac G5 2,7 GHz. I installed the SSD SATA of my iMac into it, swapped the graphic board and installed the X1950GT (or XT, I can't remember ^^).

After deleting the poseidon.prefs and copied the morphos.key, all seemed too be good but... The first data access on the SSD is very long. For example, if I launch IRIS, I'm waiting 10 sec or more before viewing the lauching window and the same when I click on "new mail". Same when I type a simple dir in a shell... 10 seconds or more before seeing something.

Same with thumbnails in a listview of Ambient or when I want to see a picture with ShowCase.

I tried to make a memtest extensive (reverse) but all is ok.

The HD is a SSD bought new and only used in the iMac with MorphOS.

If somebody got any idea, I take it !

Thx.
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »09.11.23 - 14:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Did you run SFSDoctor?
  • »09.11.23 - 16:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    It might be that your iMac cooked the SSD.

I had one in mine ever since the 1st beta supported it (so a few years) and in past few months I got rare to ever more frequent errors at start.
    A few days ago I moved another SSD in there which gave 0 problem sofar.

I haven't found the time to check the old one for SMART status in a "modern" computer so I can only guess that it is combination of MorphOS not handling SSD health and extensive heat in the iTight_G5.
  • »09.11.23 - 16:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    First of all, thank you for your help.

I tried SFSDoctor but every partition was OK.
    I booted on the CD and made some copy from SSD to Ram: and then Ram: to SSD. First, it seemed to be ok, but after a few copies, the same problem appeared.
    I installed the SSD without the adapter but same.

At last, I made a full copy of my SSD on my old and slow HD. The copy was veeeryyyy long. And, the SSD stalled all the access. I toke a grab of Task Manager and all portions with low CPU were when the copy stalled.

SSD-Task.jpg

Hope my new HD will be more effective and I'll be able to use these beast at all its power !

Thx again !
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »11.11.23 - 23:16
    Profile Visit Website