Updating to 3.18 from USB keeps failing
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Travis_H
    I followed the instructions thoroughly, tried two different USB sticks and still only get as far as the screenshot shows.

I'd had successfully updated two machines to 3.17 with USB (using the same stick) previously.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/4diTUGYDABDZjPmL9
  • »26.07.23 - 22:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    I have installed morphOS 3.18 from usb in my three machines without problems.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »27.07.23 - 18:03
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Get a checksum check on the ISO, make sure it wasn't corrupted on download.

You may think that impossible, but I spent three weeks in July trying to install Linux from an ISO only for it not to boot - only to find the ISO, downloaded on a Windows machine - was corrupt.
  • »27.07.23 - 20:32
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Travis_H
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Get a checksum check on the ISO, make sure it wasn't corrupted on download.

You may think that impossible, but I spent three weeks in July trying to install Linux from an ISO only for it not to boot - only to find the ISO, downloaded on a Windows machine - was corrupt.

I will do this next. I had forgotten to rename morphos-3.18.iso to just morphos.iso, but that was the cause of only the first couple fails!

I'll download the file and try again soon.
  • »27.07.23 - 21:46
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Also do make sure you copied the right boot.img file for your computer. I know you said that you followed the instructions thoroughly, but it's easy to accidentally copy the wrong file, and doing so could also result in a situation like the one you end up in.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »28.07.23 - 05:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Travis_H
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Also do make sure you copied the right boot.img file for your computer. I know you said that you followed the instructions thoroughly, but it's easy to accidentally copy the wrong file, and doing so could also result in a situation like the one you end up in.

Yes, this turned out to be the problem! I had simply copied the boot.img from the root directory of the iso. Digging around, I saw the mac32 version, so I gave it a try. Bingo!

Thanks for the tip.

TJH
  • »29.07.23 - 16:40