Wanted for Mac MDD GFX AGP card
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    flip
    Hi to all,

I'm looking for a GFX AGP ATI card for My Mac MDD at "human" price.
    I already checked on Ebay, but prices goes too high...

Thanks.

[ Edited by flip 25.04.2023 - 12:14 ]
  • »25.04.23 - 10:13
    Kronos
    Might be helpful to be a bit more specific than "Somewhere in U...".
  • »25.04.23 - 13:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Hi,

because I just receive my "new" pet - MDD with 9000 Pro card, I am solving the same problem.

So far best solution I found ( but not realized yet ) is to buy FireGL X3 and flash it with ATI reduced PPC ROM. This card is one from most powerful and cheap for AGP x4 Powermac.

Fastest compatible is X850 XT, but there is no reduced ROM, it means you have to try to reduce it yourself, or solder new 128 MB ROM on graphics card and use Original ATI PPC ROM.

You will find this ROMs and necessary pin modifications here.

P.S. and I don't know, if this flashed cards are working with MorphOS, but probably yes - maybe here is some user who can confirm this?
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »25.04.23 - 13:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @polluks

I even don't know what NDRV is ;-)
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »25.04.23 - 15:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > solder new 128 MB ROM on graphics card

A ‰ of this should suffice ;-)
  • »25.04.23 - 18:49
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

sailor schrieb:
    So far best solution I found ( but not realized yet ) is to buy FireGL X3 and flash it with ATI reduced PPC ROM. This card is one from most powerful and cheap for AGP x4 Powermac.

I can confirm that a flashed FireGL X3 works and is fast indeed. But it also was loud. So I switched to a passive Radeon 9600 as soon as I got the chance.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »25.04.23 - 22:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Fastest compatible is X850 XT, but there is no reduced ROM, it means you have to try to reduce it yourself, or solder new 128 MB ROM on graphics card and use Original ATI PPC ROM.

I've tried several times flashing an X850 XT with "reduced" ROM but with no luck. Aaand its possible that it's bricked now, as it won't work with PC, even with its original BIOS.
    It's worth mentioning that some cards cannot be flashed for Mac (like some "SE" versions of Radeon 9800) while others would randomly work or not (like many 9600's).

Quote:

P.S. and I don't know, if this flashed cards are working with MorphOS, but probably yes - maybe here is some user who can confirm this?

That's another issue. The flashed cards often seem to work, but they might fail at some point showing glitches/wrong colours or working slower than expected.
    MorphOS-Team members seem to advise against using flashed graphics cards.
  • »26.04.23 - 07:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    That's another issue. The flashed cards often seem to work, but they might fail at some point showing glitches/wrong colours or working slower than expected.
    MorphOS-Team members seem to advise against using flashed graphics cards.

I completely agree, MOS team cannot maintain compatibility in every custom-flashed card with custom-rom.

But in real, we have to try it. As flip said, to buy more powerfull original Powermac AGP card for human price is impossible and I don't want stay with original 9000 Pro.
    So flashed FireGL looks like good compromise and I accept the risk that it maybe not works on MorphOS.

I will try FireGL and leave here the experience. But it takes some time, now I am trying linux on XE, swap CPU on Micro G3 and some other time-consuming hw games ;-)
  • »26.04.23 - 07:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    I can confirm that a flashed FireGL X3 works and is fast indeed.

Please, with which OS it works? MacOS X, MorphOS, linux?
    MacOS X yes, of course.

I am asking about details, becouse I have in Powemac G5 Radeon X1900 G5 edition, and it works with MacOS X and MorphOS, and not linux ( only base framebuffer, what is in real unusable ).
  • »26.04.23 - 07:24