User's alias and shell-startup
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    I wanted to add aliasses which will be available after reboot the system.
    In MOSSYS:S exists file shell-startup where we can read:

Code:
    ;
    ; MorphOS shell-startup
    ;
    ; This script is executed on every new shell invocation.
    ; Do *NOT* modify this file. If you want to change something,
    ; copy this file to S: and make the changes there.
    ;
    ; $VER: shell-startup 1.3
    ;

Prompt "%S> "
    set _pchar "|"
    set _mchar "&&"
    alias flow "run DETACH sys:Applications/FlowStudio/FlowStudio"

Ok, I copied the shell-startup file to SYS:S/, added my aliasses below "flow" alias. Everything works well.

However I am not sure if this is good solution. If in a future a new version of the MorphOS add something to MOSSYS:S/shell-startup, it won't work in my system because MOSSYS:S/shell-startup is ignored if SYS:S/shell-startup file exists (I checked this).

I am thinking... Is it possible to keep executing original shell-startup before user's shell-startup?

Or maybe better solution is just add my aliasses to SYS:S/user-startup?

What do you think?
    Which solution is the most consistent with the MorphOS guidelines?
  • »08.04.23 - 18:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    jarokuczi
    You can create empty file in sys:s and in first line execute mossys:s one. Then add your stuff in following lines.
  • »08.04.23 - 23:45
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

MDW wrote:
    MOSSYS:S/shell-startup is ignored if SYS:S/shell-startup file exists (I checked this).

Nothing outside MOSSYS: should override anything in it. If it does, this sounds like a MorphOS bug imo.
  • »09.04.23 - 16:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

KennyR schrieb:
    Quote:

MDW wrote:
    MOSSYS:S/shell-startup is ignored if SYS:S/shell-startup file exists (I checked this).

Nothing outside MOSSYS: should override anything in it. If it does, this sounds like a MorphOS bug imo.

This is a bit different for the shell-startup script but you are right for both devices and/or libraries where mossys:devs or mossys:libs is always first and it does either scan the DEVS: or LIBS: path after that (unless the respective device/library is already loaded).

For the shell-startup script, dos/CLIInitNewCli() first tries to open the script from s:shell-startup and if that doesn't work it explicitly tries MOSSYS:s/shell-startup. Typically, and you can check with shell cmd assign s: EXISTS, the S directory on the system boot partition has precedence over the one in MorphOS/S:

Typical output :

Code:
    S          System:S
    + System:MorphOS/S

So basically, you can indeed put some execute mossys:s/shell-startup in front of your custom shell-startup script to avoid duplicating any lines in the script or if you want to make sure that you don't miss anything there for future updates of the script.
  • »09.04.23 - 17:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    @cyfm, KennyR, jarokuczi:
    Thank you for all answers. All ideas are very similar - put execute mossys:s/shell-startup in to my sys:s/shell-startup. I think this is good solution which will not break any MOS rules and will work prefect.
    Thanks!
  • »12.04.23 - 11:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    I have already applied the solution. It works perfect. I didn't touch original shell-startup and I have my custom shell-startup.

I think this solution should be described in MOSSYS:S/shell-startup file instead current comment.
  • »12.04.23 - 17:57
    Profile Visit Website