USB install not recogniced on X5000
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I am trying to reinstall 3.17 via USB on my X5000 but can not get the machine to find the stick.

I made the stick with morphos-3.17-hybrid.hdimg on a Mac via belanaEtcher that normally writes everything fine. Did have to change the name to .img instead of .hdimg thou before belanaEtcher would find and write it.

The stick is placed in the first black USB port on the back.

Any recommandations to what the best way to make a bootable MorphOS USB stick for X5000 is? Programs etc. And what port to put it in?

Thank you in advance.
  • »08.03.23 - 20:35
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Some version of the X5000 firmware don't always detect USB mass storage devices on the first try. Try going to the command line and enter the following two commands:

Code:
    usb reset
    bootmorphos
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »09.03.23 - 04:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    Thank you :-)

Resetting USB did the trick.
  • »09.03.23 - 07:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    I have tried to boot from a sd card on my amigaone x5000, but with no success. Then I have entered the word 'hybrid' and I saw the link to this subject. Now I would like to know how to write an .img file on a card media or a usb stick under morphos, not with a specifc program on an other system on another computer. I have searched on morphos team web site but they do not give explanation on how to perform this action. I would prefer a correct answer by a competent person, member of the morphos team if possible. No link to a previous subject if possible.

Brumiga
  • »19.05.23 - 13:35
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Well, I am not a morphos team member, but at the risk of being flamed :), this is how I do it:

"Copy DIRECT ram:morphos-3.18-hybrid.hdimg RAWDISK:Devices/usbscsi.device/0/rawdisk"

Just enter it in the shell. Be sure that the sdcard is connected through an usb card reader, or just use an usb stick.
    You can check the usbscsi.device unit number in hdconfig.

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 20.05.2023 - 00:19 ]
  • »19.05.23 - 22:26
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    Somehow the rawdisk command splits in 2 sentences when I enter it in the forum.
    Of course it must be 1 line. That's why I used quotation marks. Sorry ...
  • »19.05.23 - 22:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Mozzerfan schrieb:
    Somehow the rawdisk command splits in 2 sentences when I enter it in the forum.
    Of course it must be 1 line. That's why I used quotation marks. Sorry ...

Code:
    Copy DIRECT ram:morphos-3.18-hybrid.hdimg RAWDISK:Devices/usbscsi.device/0/rawdisk

^ This is indeed a correct way to get the raw image onto the usb drive. I think the common problem is that the X5000 is very picky about USB devices inside its UBoot firmware ...

The installation media also contains a hdwrite command in mossys:c which could be used as well, it isn't installed by the normal installation procedure, though, as it can cause quite some havoc if not used properly. RAWDISK: at least provides some measures/warning to not accidentally overwrite a target disk.
  • »21.05.23 - 00:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @cyfm and Mozzerfan,

Thank you for your replies. I have followed the instructions, only the sd card in a reader, no other usb peripheral plugged. Then I have tried on the AmigaOne X5000, typed the 2 commands indicated by bigfoot and that booted. I think that your instructions should be present on the web site of the MorphOs Team in help section. I should also be present on MorphOs Library. i will also indicated them to Obligement, Daff will certainly write there a article about this new version of MorphOS and also update his article http://obligement.free.fr/articles/morphos310_installation.php , about installing MorphOs on any supported hardware.

Brumiga
  • »21.05.23 - 11:17
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mozzerfan
    It's already in the tips and tricks section of morpzone library.

Writing img to disk

So thanks to JPV I discovered how to do this under morphos.

But I agree, this should be included with the installation instructions.

[ Edited by Mozzerfan 21.05.2023 - 12:45 ]
  • »21.05.23 - 11:36