How many partitions does MorphOS recognize?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    I have two SSD hard disk inside my PowerMac G5 and I have problems with the second SSD and the recover program doesn't work, I have formated this hard disk and I did 2 and three partitions but MorphOS doesn't recognize these and now neither the hard disk, How many partitions does MorphOS recognize? because I'll like add other two, beause the main hard disk has two more the boot img,
    but neither I want have problems, although I trying to recover the second hard disk because I think that it is dammaged trying to create the partitions.
    Thanks.
  • »30.01.23 - 12:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    I suppose, that it depends on disk partition map not OS.

On Powermac you have probably APM? ( under MorphOS you see it like "MAC" )
    In any case, APM and Amiga RDB supports really big number of partitions.

APM
    RDB

Here is probably no limitation from MorphOS, but I am no 100% sure. In any case, I am using under MorphOS many partitions, I write exact number where I will be at home.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »30.01.23 - 13:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    G5 Quad: HDD1: APM, 8 partitions, HDD2: APM, 4 partitions
    Pegasos 2: HDD1: RDB, 6 partitions, HDD2: RDB, 8 partitons, HDD3: RDB, 1 partition
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »30.01.23 - 17:01
    Templario
    Well, the problem with partitions is with two SSD hard disk, I think that problem is because these disk haven't the pin selector of Master/Slave as the mechanical hard disk.
  • »30.01.23 - 18:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Powermac G5 have two SATA I connectors. You not need any master/slave select, it is PATA behavior.
    There will be something other.

What is your partition map? And do you use linux or MacOS X on this Powermac? I recommend not to mix hdtools from different systems, it often causes partition mismatch.
  • »30.01.23 - 18:39
    Templario
    Quote:

sailor escribió:
    Powermac G5 have two SATA I connectors. You not need any master/slave select, it is PATA behavior.
    There will be something other.

What is your partition map? And do you use linux or MacOS X on this Powermac? I recommend not to mix hdtools from different systems, it often causes partition mismatch.

I use the PowerMac only with MorphOS for Linux I have a Gigabyte brick.
  • »31.01.23 - 09:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Partitions must not have the same name or logical name too.
    Here, I give a logical name specific for each machine ("PEG1:" "PMAC1:" "PBOOK1:" etc.), and I name partitions with a similar schema ("SysPeg2:", "SysPMac:", etc.) and, therefore, I avoid conflicts ^^
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »31.01.23 - 10:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Templario wrote:
    I use the PowerMac only with MorphOS for Linux I have a Gigabyte brick.

in this case I don't know.

You can arrange serial debug via firewire, if you have another Powermac or Pegasos.
    Or you can boot from installation CD/USB, connect only one disk, check everything ( include different names like BattleMan mentioned ). Than do the same for second disk.
  • »31.01.23 - 10:57
    Templario
    Other curious thing happened I connected the mechanical hard disk with NFTS partition format but with MorphOS was impossible change the format to SFS, MorphOS worked with it but with some programs I had problems for example with IBrowse with errors in sectors disk when loaded its tolbar graphics, now again I connected the SSD hard disk but with a only partition although the MorphOS program called DH0: too. I hae two hard disks with DH0:
  • »01.02.23 - 10:12