X5000: Looking for compatible keyboard for UBoot and MorphOS
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Based on U-Boot version:
    Quote:

U-Boot molsen-2018-10-05 (Oct 05 2018 - 17:02:05)

, which is the latest supported one according to https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12995&forum=11#147666, I am looking for a keyboard that works without errors in U-Boot of the X5000 and MorphOS.

I tried four different keyboards from different vendors which either work in U-Boot but not in MorphOS or produce interrupt errors or exceptions, running screen symptoms or swallow keypresses in U-Boot which makes it hard to impossible to enter commands. Only one keyboard is working in both modes (U-Boot and MorphOS) but this one is dedicated to another computer. At the moment I am using two keyboards in exchange, so I am looking for a single one that works in both worlds.

Please list the keyboards that you found working in both operating modes. Please also list which active USB hub you use in case you do so. Best would be a wireless keyboard/mouse set without the need for a US hub, but recommendations of wired ones are also welcome. Single keyboards without mouse will also be okay.

[ Edited by Sprocki 31.10.2022 - 08:14 ]
  • »31.10.22 - 08:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Can't help you with a keyboard suggestion right now, but I just want to point out - to avoid confusion - that this particular issue is specific to the P5040 model of the X5000.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »31.10.22 - 08:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Yes, I wanted to add that. I have an X5000/40 where USB and U-Boot are "troublesome" (to very much whitewash the issues).
  • »31.10.22 - 08:36
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Primax
    Well, here with my X5000/20 I have also some trouble with my Mac keyboard, getting regularly something like that:
    "lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll"
    As if the key is stuck.

Only solution is to unplug and then plug it again.
    AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon X1650 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
    Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / 128 MB RAM / AmigaOS 3.9
  • »31.10.22 - 11:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Try using top left USB port (left with computer facing you).
  • »31.10.22 - 14:07
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

That doesn't help much. Also using this port causes a lot of errors and exceptions in U-Boot. Uing a USB hub mitigates it a bit but not adequately. The problem is that from X5000/20 to X5000/40 the USB controller was changed but U-Boot not. The controller and U-Boot do not match. It rains down errors on the user. So I am looking for "provenly working" input devices.
  • »31.10.22 - 16:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    ok.

That port works ok for me on my X5000/40 in U-Boot and AmigaOs 4.1 FE update 2.
    A-EOn AmigaOne keyboard .

AmigaOS 4.1FE Update 2 has a new ehci.usbhcd though.
    Keyboards and mice seem not to work at all with the
    Older version and X5000/40 .

So MorphOS may need an update for the X5000/40 ? .

Quote:

Sprocki wrote:
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

That doesn't help much. Also using this port causes a lot of errors and exceptions in U-Boot. Uing a USB hub mitigates it a bit but not adequately. The problem is that from X5000/20 to X5000/40 the USB controller was changed but U-Boot not. The controller and U-Boot do not match. It rains down errors on the user. So I am looking for "provenly working" input devices.

[ Edited by Spectre660 31.10.2022 - 12:01 ]
  • »31.10.22 - 17:00
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:
    That port works ok for me on my X5000/40 in U-Boot and AmigaOs 4.1 FE update 2.
    A-EOn AmigaOne keyboard .

Seems to be out of stock and is not my favourite keyboard, anyway. Best would be a wireless combo.
    Quote:

AmigaOS 4.1FE Update 2 has a new ehci.usbhcd though.
    Keyboards and mice seem not to work at all with the
    Older version and X5000/40 .

So MorphOS may need an update for the X5000/40 ? .

Possibly, but mainly U-Boot needs an update to become compatible with the changed USB controller from X5000/20 to X5000/40. The hard issues all appear in U-Boot. In case I made the machine to boot MorphOS, then the problems are little: either the keyboard works or not. Then I can still plug in a secondary keyboard for temporary usage. But that's not how it shall be.
  • »01.11.22 - 00:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    @Sprocki

So both U-Boot and OS patches may be needed to support wide range of Keyboards .

Quote:

ehci.usbhcd v53.26

NEW
    o Activated soft-retries for low and full speed transfers for
    certain error conditions. This is similar to what Linux does
    to work around silicon bugs and seems to be necessary for the
    the X5000/040 to operate with keyboard and mice.
    o For Px0x0 machines, initialize the port transceiver select mask
    to zero for the USBx_PORTSC register if USB was not enabled.
    This makes USB functional also on the X5000/040, where it
    doesn't seem to be initialized properly. Newer U-Boot version
    will contain a fix as well.
  • »14.11.22 - 14:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    I've been working with Sprocki privately to sort out the U-Boot problems he's been encountering in general and on the 5040 specifically. Many thanks to him for his extensive and in-depth testing.

If anyone else has a 5040 and has problems with keyboards or otherwise, and would like to beta test a new version of U-Boot, then please send me an email (see my signature after this post). Please note the emphasis on beta, as there are a lot of changes in the current version and it has basically only been tested by me and Sprocki. I'll be preparing a build for general testing in the next few days, probably after the weekend.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »09.12.22 - 16:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    This unfortunately took a lot longer than I had hoped as I was unable to obtain permission to include the original X5000 U-Boot graphics, and thus had to first spend some time replacing it, but the beta version is now finally available to those who have emailed me about it.

Andre Siegel very helpfully provided a new and, if I have to say it myself, really nice boot animation. Thank you so very much, Andre!
  • »09.01.23 - 13:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    This unfortunately took a lot longer than I had hoped as I was unable to obtain permission to include the original X5000 U-Boot graphics, and thus had to first spend some time replacing it, but the beta version is now finally available to those who have emailed me about it.

Andre Siegel very helpfully provided a new and, if I have to say it myself, really nice boot animation. Thank you so very much, Andre!

Now you *really* have to show that! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »09.01.23 - 21:25
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Primax
    Quote:

bigfoot schrieb:

Will you also publish a public beta?
    I have a X5000/20 but as said also issues with the keyboard. So if it is helpful, I would like to test as well.

[ Editiert durch Primax 12.01.2023 - 05:14 ]
    AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon X1650 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
    Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / 128 MB RAM / AmigaOS 3.9
  • »12.01.23 - 05:14
    Profile Visit Website