How do I check if Helios is running?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Hey, I 've recently purchased an Iomega Peerless 20GB firewire hd. With this drive I am supposed to be able to boot the Mac too but I have more pressuring questions. How do I check if Helios is up and running? I did a showconfig and firewire seems to be recognised ("Vendor $104C Device $8019 Texas Instruments, TSB12LV23 IEEE-1394 Controller") but still it's unclear to which port it refers to (the PowerMac 3.1 Sawtooth has 2 externals and 1 internal - but perhaps they are not driven in dual channel, unlike the onboard usb 1.1). Also, Peerless though seems to be getting power 'cause I can feel the heat below the connected firewire cable port and even if I hit the eject button the Iomega symbol flashes, it's tiny led screen is off - but should it stay off and power on only when recognised by the system? Any ideas?

Edit: after Helios installation I do the System:C> helios_rom_start as stated on the readme but after checking System:C> helios_remove I get a warning that Helios stack is not running, wtf?

Edit 2: Oh, damn firewire was integrated since 3.12 as I read on another thread. I totally forgotten about it. Should I manually remove the installation of Helios then?

edit 3: Removed manually Helios, rebooted. Results were the same. Checked with a Lacie 1TB FW which requires also and external power supply (and this is confirmed to be working, at least through USB 2) and result remains the same. Could it be the FW chipset of my PowerMac? Same it happens with the Airport type I use which is unsupported?

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 29.10.2022 - 00:44 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »28.10.22 - 21:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    So, the Iomega Peerless 20GB Firewire was successfully tested with the help of a fellow Amiga user under Windows 7 (PC), OSX Leopard (PPC/G5) and a Debian variant (again PPC/G5) but failed under MorphOS (on the same G5 machine). Beats me that a firewire hd (specifically designed for the G4) could be incompatible with MorphOS but this seems to be the case :/

Is it possible to check under OF if the firewire ports pick it?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »31.10.22 - 22:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    How do I check if Helios is up and running?

There is no GUI for Helios. You can use the Debug.sbar and open it, call the log file from there (first menu item) and scroll to the bottom to check what was the last message written to the log. Then connect your Firewire device and open a new log file. You should see new messages which would tell you that Helios detected your device. The messages are not self-explaining, though. Possibly from the IDs you can ask your favourite search engine for details what has been detected. As long as you plug in only one device at a time and inspect the changes in the debug log file, you will see that "something" was detected.
    Quote:

I did a showconfig and firewire seems to be recognised ...

I did that on my PowerBook and got a full system lockup on first call. I had to power down the PowerBook. After a new start showconfig did not stall. But it also did not report the iSight camera that I connected. I don't know if it could report Firewire devices, at least not mine.
  • »31.10.22 - 23:41