Radeon 9100 driver
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Hi!

Recently I bought this card based on R200 and I've installed it easily on my Pegasos 1. It works but colors in both VGA o DVI connections look different, so light I can't see properly icons, too bright that hurt my sight. Anyone knows there's something I can try?
  • »17.10.22 - 20:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Hi!
    I had on Pegasos 1 minor problem with FireGL 8800 (also chip R200)
    There was wrong colours with 16-bit depth screens. 24-bit works fine.
    And Radeon 9100 works fine for me.

Sorry, I have no advice except to try another card.
    ( my article about Pegasos1 testing: Long talk about Pegasus the first. About gfx are articles 8. and 15 )

Btw, do you have your MorphOS registered? I tried it, but it ends with error. I wrote info to Ralph, but there are very few Pegasos 1 users so it is waste of time to repair it.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »18.10.22 - 07:26
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Hi!
    I had on Pegasos 1 minor problem with FireGL 8800 (also chip R200)
    There was wrong colours with 16-bit depth screens. 24-bit works fine.
    And Radeon 9100 works fine for me.

Sorry, I have no advice except to try another card.
    ( my article about Pegasos1 testing: Long talk about Pegasus the first. About gfx are articles 8. and 15 )

Btw, do you have your MorphOS registered? I tried it, but it ends with error. I wrote info to Ralph, but there are very few Pegasos 1 users so it is waste of time to repair it.

I've cleaned the pins card, but it didn't improve. It looks like some colors are wrongly calibrated or it is an hardware failure. I need to check it on a PC Windows to be sure.
    My Peg is not registered, but I'm going to. Why can't you?
  • »18.10.22 - 12:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Are the colors also bad if you take a screenshot and open it on another computer? How about a photo of the issue?
  • »18.10.22 - 13:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Goodman wrote:
    My Peg is not registered, but I'm going to. Why can't you?

As I wrote above. Registration tool with my Pegasos 1 allways generates error.
    Ralph Schmidt ( MOSDev )know about it, but it takes some time and there only few Pegasos 1 users.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »18.10.22 - 13:33
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Are the colors also bad if you take a screenshot and open it on another computer? How about a photo of the issue?

Did it. Colors are as well as it should be.
  • »20.10.22 - 21:47
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    I couldn't test that card in my old PC cause it couldn't boot anymore, blank screen!

I think this card don't work properly. Maybe seller tested it just on a bios screen where there's no colors. For example with this card my openfirmware looks good just because is black and white.

I'm using Morphos 3.15 and I know that on Pegasos 1 everything is possible. For example, a very nice Asus Radeon 9250 didn't work properly last year, sometimes blank screen and always with slight flickering, now like a charm and I don't know even why.
  • »20.10.22 - 22:35
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Icons appear washed out inside any window anything but the Workbench. If I copy into the Workbench colors change. Workbench colors are just a bit overexposed.
    I've read somewhere that a common test is to check how BIOS appear, openfirmware in our case. If it looks fine that means a driver problem.

Last but not the least: if I change the default Ambient Skin for Ater, I can't see the Icons' names and some buttons.

If I didn't say before my ATI 9100 128 MB is a Manli, a brand I've never heard.

I also test Quake III Arena and colors looked fine. I played on another card and colors were the same. I don't know how to see FPS but with maximum settings on both it was very fast!

PS To install Quake III I tried 7 times cause sometimes it was very slow or freeze. This is the Articia S bug isn't it? But even with the April2? How is it possible?

[ Edited by Goodman 22.10.2022 - 18:22 ]
  • »22.10.22 - 11:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    To me the symptoms you're describing of colours being washed out, and it depending on the connector type you're using, makes me think that this is a case of a bad VGA connection.

You mentioned that there's a difference between VGA and DVI, but not what that difference is. You also didn't mention if said DVI connection is a pure DVI connection, or if it's a DVI to VGA adaptor that ends up being a VGA connection anyway.

Things you could try include using a pure digital DVI connection, and if that's not possible, try using a different VGA cable. If your Radeon has its VGA connector on a little ribbon cable, then make sure that this ribbon cable is not damaged and is fully inserted into its connector on the Radeon PCB.

Quote:

I also test Quake III Arena and colors looked fine. I played on another card and colors were the same. I don't know how to see FPS but with maximum settings on both it was very fast!

Did you play it at the same resolution as the desktop is in? Typically signal quality problems with VGA connections get worse the higher the resolution is.

Quote:

PS To install Quake III I tried 7 times cause sometimes it was very slow or freeze. This is the Articia S bug isn't it? But even with the April2? How is it possible?

Which part of it? The installer downloads an update from servers online that can be more or less reliable, so it's not impossible that it'd sometimes be slow or fail.

[ Edited by bigfoot 23.10.2022 - 07:46 ]
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »23.10.22 - 06:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Hi!

I have other graphics cards compatible and they don't have that problem... Cables and connectors are fine. VGA and pure DVI work well with all my cards anything but the Manli Ati 9100.

Openfirmware is working well: good black and white; Quake III Arena is working well: good colors, stable no lag, high details, I didn't tried all resolution; the only colors problem came from somewhere in Morphos windows or driver, I've no idea.

Now I've changed back to my previous card cause that hurt my eyes.

I've already noticed sometimes my Peg1 can't do basic thing like copying some files from CD to Ram Disk or HD, too slow or freeze if there are many files but I don't think this is the reason that cause those colors issue.
  • »23.10.22 - 14:54
  • ASiegel
    If you ever give it another try, a few photos (even blurry ones taken with a phone) would help to understand what you are experiencing.
  • »23.10.22 - 15:23
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Goodman wrote:
    I couldn't test that card in my old PC cause it couldn't boot anymore, blank screen!

Then it's dead, sorry. At least if the PC works.

If you get the three chirps of death from the BIOS POST then GPU/VRAM is a goner.

My first R9 390X was able to show BIOS post and even Windows safe mode, but when booted into Windows or Linux immediately crashed. Some hardware issues have very weird effects.

[ Edited by KennyR 23.10.2022 - 16:13 ]
  • »23.10.22 - 16:10
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    If you ever give it another try, a few photos (even blurry ones taken with a phone) would help to understand what you are experiencing.

Enjoy:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147043136@N03/albums/72177720303134537
  • »24.10.22 - 13:59