Firewire HD on Pegasos 1
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Hi guys,

I'm testing a firewire hard drive. It's pitty there still no firewire icon integrated in System - I'm using 3.15 at the moment.
    Which program allow me to mount my hd?
  • »12.09.22 - 17:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It should be auto-mounted provided it's formatted in a way that MorphOS supports. I'd check the Mounter and or HDConfig to see if it's recognized in 1st place.

What's a "Firewire icon"? MorphOS has a Firewire stack integrated since 3.12.
  • »12.09.22 - 17:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Yes, it normally works. If you have formated MorphOS readable partitions here, you should see them.

Be careful - if you use for example old HDD in your external firewire HDD dock, it must have different Disk names and Volume names than your computer disks.

I mounted this way external old MorphOS HDD with DH0: partition and System: volume name ( the same like on system disk) and it isn't work.
    DH0 on external disk was visible like DH0.1, so it is OK. But System: volume name produce mismatch and I cannot see the Disk icon and cannot access files.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »12.09.22 - 19:21
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    It should be auto-mounted provided it's formatted in a way that MorphOS supports. I'd check the Mounter and or HDConfig to see if it's recognized in 1st place.

What's a "Firewire icon"? MorphOS has a Firewire stack integrated since 3.12.

OK it works. HD config can see it even it is NTFS: at the moment I'm testing a firewire compact flash reader.

There are two ports: even you see your hard drive on it doesn't mean it is connected to the input one. I have a firewire 800 TI on another computer where the output port doesn't provide power supply. In Pegosos device's leds are on in both firewire ports, but we need to connect to the input port anyway. Maybe all firewire 400 were like that.

Now I don' have time to do any other tests cause I'm going on holiday. By the way my hd should work.

See you
  • »13.09.22 - 05:47
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Hi

Maybe I found out: I guess Morphos supports MBR but not GPT. So if a disk is converted to GPT it can't be found by Morphos. Apple PPC can find both, but boot only from GPT.
  • »22.09.22 - 06:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Apple PowerPC machines don't use GPT to boot, but Apple Partition Map.

Independently of this, Mac OS X since Tiger indeed recognizes GPT and can work with it. Not too surprising, since that was the first version of OS X to run on Intel. But PowerPC machines can't boot from GPT.

So in this sense, MorphOS supports everything needed to work from the PowerPC machine, and GPT is not one of them. Anyway, there should be some basic support for GPT, at least to read disks using it, but it might not work in every case.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »22.09.22 - 08:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @goodman

i think that Powermacs are by default used "APT/APM" (ApplePartitionTable/Map) and this is also that MorphOS/HDconfig called "MAC". This is recognized by MorphOS and is bootable with Powermacs.

And newer GPT is used on Intel Macs and is not bootable under Powerpc macs.

But I just think so, not search in docs.
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »22.09.22 - 08:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @Chain-Q
    you was faster ;-)
  • »22.09.22 - 08:04
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Thank you for your explanation. Hopefully Morphos will add support for GPT one day or another.
  • »22.09.22 - 21:04
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Chain-Q wrote:
    Apple PowerPC machines don't use GPT to boot, but Apple Partition Map.

Independently of this, Mac OS X since Tiger indeed recognizes GPT and can work with it. Not too surprising, since that was the first version of OS X to run on Intel. But PowerPC machines can't boot from GPT.

So in this sense, MorphOS supports everything needed to work from the PowerPC machine, and GPT is not one of them. Anyway, there should be some basic support for GPT, at least to read disks using it, but it might not work in every case.

It shouldn't actually be difficult in theory. GPT is just a different partition and drive geometry table, like MBR, but that allows 64 bit addressing. It should be simple for MorphOS to parse this and allow the mounting of partitions as it does with MBR and APT.

I would guess it just hasn't been a priority to add because you can't boot from GPT on any current MorphOS hardware anyway, and removable drives haven't tended to be bigger than 2TB and so can be formatted with MBR.

[ Edited by KennyR 24.09.2022 - 21:13 ]
  • »24.09.22 - 20:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    I'm told that MorphOS actually does support GPT?

You can't boot from it though, and never will be able to on any current hardware MorphOS runs on. This is not a MorphOS issue, it's a firmware one.
  • »24.09.22 - 20:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    As far as I can tell GPT partition scheme should be supported in some limited capacity: currently HFS+ and NTFS filesystems should work.

We might look into improving this support to work with other filesystems, too. No promises though.
  • »24.09.22 - 22:40