Morphos 3.15 doesn't boot on my AmigaOne X5000
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Hi Morphos lovers!!!

    I am in a mess.My Morphos stopped working about some weeks,more than a month.And today and days ago I tried ro resurrect with the help of a USB stick and a CD-RW with latest Morphos burned on it but no luck.In fact it doesn't boot from this media at all.And I know Morphos is not dead bacause it show its Morphos logo,then a white screen with the Ambient word and the butterfly and itI musn't go any further

    I like Morphos for the time being specially for the fact that I can login or use Facebook directly and in reality I have a lot to learn and improve on this Amiga system.But it feels great to me ,even unregistered.

    Last weeks I did a similar post like this on AmigaWorld.net and the folks tried but not result at all.

    So how can I boot and restore Morphos again?

    I think that the problem came months ago when I leave Wayfarer open bacause I waited to close,but it didn't succeded.

    What do you think about this Morphos problem? Is it restorable?

    I hope someone can help me to boot Morphos again.

    Thanks
  • »01.07.22 - 19:20
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Posts: 866 from 2004/1/24
    From: #AmigaZeux
    Earlier answer
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »01.07.22 - 21:05
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    I am newlight on AmigaWorld.

    So for me is useless to read it again.

    This thread was opened by me.
  • »01.07.22 - 21:11
    Profile
  • Just looking around
    Posts: 4 from 2022/7/1
    Hello
    For me my usb key dont work all time.
    For booting from uab i need :
    Connect usb key and keyboard only
    Stop booting and check on sysinfo if usb key are detected
    If no reboot the computer
    If yes retour to comande line
    Type usb reste to detecte usb bootable media
    If no restart computer
    If yes type bootmorphos and enjoy ;)
  • »01.07.22 - 21:17
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Posts: 833 from 2003/3/4
    From: #AmigaZeux, Gu...
    You need to write that hdimg file as a disk image to the USB stick, not just copy it there like a file. Win32 Disk Imager can do that for you from your PC. Then boot from it on X5000 and repair whatever SFS filesystem is damaged. Or just format and reinstall MorphOS.

    I'm afraid that there's only a limit to how much people can help. If you're not able to do basic tasks on a computer or follow basic instructions then you need to ask someone around you for help. Maybe a carer?
  • »01.07.22 - 21:37
    Profile
  • Just looking around
    Posts: 8 from 2022/4/20
    Why different names on different forums?
    Seems like an anti Amiga spirit way,
    stand up for who you are and what you support!

    I support MorphOS and AmigaOS.

    Edit: Why 3.15? when 3.17 is released?
    Now back to mine!

    [ Edited by khayoz 01.07.2022 - 23:14 ]
  • »01.07.22 - 21:55
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Posts: 1278 from 2012/11/10
    From: Manchester, UK/GB
    @ bearerofthetorch (aka newlight of AmigaWorld - newlight's X5000 thread) from Spain) - The CD media is usually the simplest way of booting MorphOS when you have an issue, as long as you are sure the CD/DVD device is working correctly. 8-)

    What system/software did you use to 'master' the CDRW you put the MorphOS boot data onto? :-?

    Also what make/brand name is the CDRW you have used? :-? As some CD-R/W media that I've used have not been reliable.

    If you can get it to boot, as it seems you have managed to a few times, then you may be able to check the installation for integrity by running SFSDoctor, which you should find in the System:Tools/ drawer by choosing the 'Check disk' option.

    Ideally you don't want to repair the system by this process, as you need to have the System unlocked/not allocated as the System (SYS) at the time (which is usually DH1 - though it may be labelled differently as you have OS4.x, etc., on your X5000 HDD as well).

    This MorphOS installation issue/likelihood was pointed out on 8-June-2022 by one of the MorphOS Developers (jacadcaps) who also wrote Iris and Wayfarer (your favourite MorphOS software it seems), who suggested you repair the system's installation validity/integrity with SFSDoctor.

    However, you need to do so via the booting/installation media, but you can check the installation for errors while the system is running, if the MorphOS installation you have on your HDD will allow you to boot from it - if it will play nicely for you, just one more time. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.17,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5.
  • »02.07.22 - 02:00
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Quote:

    Amigaouf wrote:
    Hello
    For me my usb key dont work all time.
    For booting from uab i need :
    Connect usb key and keyboard only
    Stop booting and check on sysinfo if usb key are detected
    If no reboot the computer
    If yes retour to comande line
    Type usb reste to detecte usb bootable media
    If no restart computer
    If yes type bootmorphos and enjoy ;)



    Thanks really for your support.

    But I tried to boot the pendrive with first "usb reset" and then "bootmorphos" U-boot commands and nothing changes

    This was at least on 4-5 attempts.
  • »02.07.22 - 14:17
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Quote:

    khayoz wrote:
    Why different names on different forums?
    Seems like an anti Amiga spirit way,
    stand up for who you are and what you support!

    I support MorphOS and AmigaOS.

    Edit: Why 3.15? when 3.17 is released?
    Now back to mine!


    <<because I am on adifferent forum and I chosen this "bearerofthetorch" bacause I liked and I don't want to repeat myself with a name from AmigaWorld.net or Amigans.net-And I defend as always AmigaOS and Morphos and now I could say Fienix too.

    Long live the Amiga!!!

    EDIT: I have choosen Morphos 3.15 because is the one I have installed when Amedia France did the installation last summer but anyway the image file is of version 3.17.

    Don't worry is my way of Amiga-ing on this forums.
  • »02.07.22 - 14:24
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Quote:

    NewSense wrote:
    @ bearerofthetorch (aka newlight of AmigaWorld - newlight's X5000 thread) from Spain) - The CD media is usually the simplest way of booting MorphOS when you have an issue, as long as you are sure the CD/DVD device is working correctly. 8-)

    What system/software did you use to 'master' the CDRW you put the MorphOS boot data onto? :-?

    Also what make/brand name is the CDRW you have used? :-? As some CD-R/W media that I've used have not been reliable.

    If you can get it to boot, as it seems you have managed to a few times, then you may be able to check the installation for integrity by running SFSDoctor, which you should find in the System:Tools/ drawer by choosing the 'Check disk' option.

    Ideally you don't want to repair the system by this process, as you need to have the System unlocked/not allocated as the System (SYS) at the time (which is usually DH1 - though it may be labelled differently as you have OS4.x, etc., on your X5000 HDD as well).

    This MorphOS installation issue/likelihood was pointed out on 8-June-2022 by one of the MorphOS Developers (jacadcaps) who also wrote Iris and Wayfarer (your favourite MorphOS software it seems), who suggested you repair the system's installation validity/integrity with SFSDoctor.

    However, you need to do so via the booting/installation media, but you can check the installation for errors while the system is running, if the MorphOS installation you have on your HDD will allow you to boot from it - if it will play nicely for you, just one more time. 8-D


    The CDRW was burned perfectly with the help of MakeCD registered some days ago.

    And my brand of CD-RW is Verbatim Hi-Speed 8x-12x of 700 MB of capacity
  • »02.07.22 - 14:32
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Quote:

    KennyR wrote:
    You need to write that hdimg file as a disk image to the USB stick, not just copy it there like a file. Win32 Disk Imager can do that for you from your PC. Then boot from it on X5000 and repair whatever SFS filesystem is damaged. Or just format and reinstall MorphOS.

    I'm afraid that there's only a limit to how much people can help. If you're not able to do basic tasks on a computer or follow basic instructions then you need to ask someone around you for help. Maybe a carer?


    Thanks KennyR!

    I finally managed to boot Morphos on my prefered USB stick with the help of the PC imager tool "disk imager".I am happy and I was until I tried both the 2 types of installation and I managed to format 1 HD drive and install Morphos as "new" but the process stopped.

    The worst part was that I thinked I deleted my AmigaOS 4.1 installation as I am now booting via my AOS4.1 pendrive selected for me by Amedia France guys.

    The question now is how can I install Morphos via pendrive? What type of installation? I think both SYS: and Work: were affrcted by my lack of knowledge of Morphos?
  • »02.07.22 - 15:53
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Quote:

    jPV wrote:
    You didn't check the filesystem first as suggested earlier on every forum?


    No I haven't check any filesystem

    The great mess or problem is that not only Morphos but AmigaOS4.1 doesn't boot right now.This was after trying to install Morphos on a HD destined for the task.

    On U-Boot trying to boot Morphos it says:

    Trying to load "bootcyrusplus.img" from "DH0:"...
    trying to load "boot.img" from "DH0:"...
    trying to load "l/slb2" from "DH0:"...
    faild to load a valid MorphOS kernel

    I am lost in the ice...what can I do now?

    I went minutes ago to Hyperion website but it doesn't show any OS4 downloads for X>5000s Amigas...
  • »02.07.22 - 19:11
    Profile
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Posts: 547 from 2003/2/24
    From: finland, the l...
    I think you should get someone else to fix the system.
  • »02.07.22 - 19:31
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Quote:

    Piru wrote:
    I think you should get someone else to fix the system.


    That's impossible living where I am living.Very few Amigans and focused on A500 really.
  • »02.07.22 - 19:44
    Profile
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Posts: 547 from 2003/2/24
    From: finland, the l...
    In this case I would recommend staying with Windows system and restricting your account to non-administrator user.
  • »02.07.22 - 19:59
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Quote:

    Piru wrote:
    In this case I would recommend staying with Windows system and restricting your account to non-administrator user.


    Why? I don't understand nothing you say.

    I was only trying to restore Morphos and since today AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 too.

    Where is the helping hand of the Amiga comunnity?
  • »02.07.22 - 20:01
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Posts: 866 from 2004/1/24
    From: #AmigaZeux
    Again
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »02.07.22 - 20:28
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Posts: 1278 from 2012/11/10
    From: Manchester, UK/GB
    Quote:

    bearerofthetorch wrote: Why? I don't understand nothing you say.

    I think Piru - also one of the MorphOS Development Team is trying to tell you that what you are trying to do is seemingly beyond your logic and technical capabilities, at least that is what I sadly have to agree with. The advice you have been given by AmigaWorld and from here is good advice, but you don't seem to have followed that advice as it was generously given.
    Quote:

    bearerofthetorch wrote: I was only trying to restore Morphos and since today AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 too.

    . . . and that is why it seems you have got yourself into more of a mess than anyone would have hoped you would. Ideally you need to either send the HDD back to the original retailer, if they will agree to reformat the HDD to the original specs you wanted it to be supplied as, and then 'learn' how to do the things you want to do from the MorphOS library . . . at your own speed! 8-)
    Quote:

    bearerofthetorch wrote: Where is the helping hand of the Amiga comunnity?

    There is only so much help that remote words of wisdom can offer to assist you. However, when you have done what you seem to have done to 'banjax' (disable) your previously working (OS4.x), and MorphOS installation - that probably had a corrupted HDD system partition, that could more than likely have been fixed with SFSDoctor by first checking it, and then use the built-in tools in that program to repair it (without the need to format - the incorrect HDD - OS4.x). Not forgetting to say that you still failed to follow the basic instructions you were given so far, then I don't think it is fair to say there has been no 'helping hand' offered to you.

    I should also ask . . . why ask for advice related to MorphOS on the AmigaWorld site instead of asking for initial advice about a MorphOS problem . . . first of all . . . on the MorphOS forum website? :-?

    I hope you have learned a lot from this 'mess' that you have got yourself into, by not following the good advice given, but maybe I'm being too optimistic in that regard, sadly. However, I do hope you eventually get it all fixed, but you need to follow good free advice when it is offered to you. 8-D

    Users on here, and even on AmigaWorld, some of whom are from the MorphOS Development Team, and others who are betatesters for MorphOS, have been as generously helpful as they can be, bearing in mind you are at a remote location, and do not seem to be as technically/logically applied as might be expected for a user of an Amiga NG system. 8-)

    You seem to need to know the principles of Hard Disk partitioning before you take a further step - specifically with Amiga type systems. It's not difficult, well I hope it's something you can learn to improve your understanding on, very soon. 8-)

    I would be prepared to discuss the issues you have - by further discussion by way of a PM, to save others wasting their time giving you good advice, only to end up frustrated by reading that you've got into a worse situation, using your own 'helping-hands'. :-)

    I offer my advice, for what it is, as it's better to have 1 source to get the same thread of discussion than get sidetracked by others also offering good advice that distracts you from solving the problem(s) you have currently.

    I have owned a SAM 440 flex with OS4.1 FE Update 2, and I own several MorphOS systems, some of which also have MacOSX on them, and several Classic Amiga systems as well. I also have self-installed Windows systems, though I care little about them, but my advice is based on a total of 35 years experience overall, so if you want some specific advice then send me a PM, as it seems to be unfair keep asking for advice on the forums and then failing to follow what good advice you've been given. :-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.17,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5.
  • »03.07.22 - 00:11
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    OK thanks for your aclarations.Yes I am a usually risky and unexperienced Amiga user and I have Amigas since 1990.

    I only want to say that I asked to 2 Amiga friends and I also send a message/mail on the sellers of my X5000 that they are Amedia France.

    Hope got good news this week.I requested or asked for an AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 and Morphos CDs.

    Thank you for understanding my situation and not critizise my obvious mistakes.

    Cheers

    Quote:

    NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

    bearerofthetorch wrote: Why? I don't understand nothing you say.

    I think Piru - also one of the MorphOS Development Team is trying to tell you that what you are trying to do is seemingly beyond your logic and technical capabilities, at least that is what I sadly have to agree with. The advice you have been given by AmigaWorld and from here is good advice, but you don't seem to have followed that advice as it was generously given.
    Quote:

    bearerofthetorch wrote: I was only trying to restore Morphos and since today AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 too.

    . . . and that is why it seems you have got yourself into more of a mess than anyone would have hoped you would. Ideally you need to either send the HDD back to the original retailer, if they will agree to reformat the HDD to the original specs you wanted it to be supplied as, and then 'learn' how to do the things you want to do from the MorphOS library . . . at your own speed! 8-)
    Quote:

    bearerofthetorch wrote: Where is the helping hand of the Amiga comunnity?

    There is only so much help that remote words of wisdom can offer to assist you. However, when you have done what you seem to have done to 'banjax' (disable) your previously working (OS4.x), and MorphOS installation - that probably had a corrupted HDD system partition, that could more than likely have been fixed with SFSDoctor by first checking it, and then use the built-in tools in that program to repair it (without the need to format - the incorrect HDD - OS4.x). Not forgetting to say that you still failed to follow the basic instructions you were given so far, then I don't think it is fair to say there has been no 'helping hand' offered to you.

    I should also ask . . . why ask for advice related to MorphOS on the AmigaWorld site instead of asking for initial advice about a MorphOS problem . . . first of all . . . on the MorphOS forum website? :-?

    I hope you have learned a lot from this 'mess' that you have got yourself into, by not following the good advice given, but maybe I'm being too optimistic in that regard, sadly. However, I do hope you eventually get it all fixed, but you need to follow good free advice when it is offered to you. 8-D

    Users on here, and even on AmigaWorld, some of whom are from the MorphOS Development Team, and others who are betatesters for MorphOS, have been as generously helpful as they can be, bearing in mind you are at a remote location, and do not seem to be as technically/logically applied as might be expected for a user of an Amiga NG system. 8-)

    You seem to need to know the principles of Hard Disk partitioning before you take a further step - specifically with Amiga type systems. It's not difficult, well I hope it's something you can learn to improve your understanding on, very soon. 8-)

    I would be prepared to discuss the issues you have - by further discussion by way of a PM, to save others wasting their time giving you good advice, only to end up frustrated by reading that you've got into a worse situation, using your own 'helping-hands'. :-)

    I offer my advice, for what it is, as it's better to have 1 source to get the same thread of discussion than get sidetracked by others also offering good advice that distracts you from solving the problem(s) you have currently.

    I have owned a SAM 440 flex with OS4.1 FE Update 2, and I own several MorphOS systems, some of which also have MacOSX on them, and several Classic Amiga systems as well. I also have self-installed Windows systems, though I care little about them, but my advice is based on a total of 35 years experience overall, so if you want some specific advice then send me a PM, as it seems to be unfair keep asking for advice on the forums and then failing to follow what good advice you've been given. :-)
  • »03.07.22 - 15:32
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Posts: 553 from 2012/6/8
    From: Hungary
    I'm just leaving this link here, without any further comments.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »04.07.22 - 05:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Posts: 24 from 2022/7/1
    Quote:

    BSzili wrote:
    I'm just leaving this link here, without any further comments.


    I am more than dissapointed on how you had managed my poor/difficult situation,I expected more from Amiga users really.

    I expected more really.
  • »04.07.22 - 17:57
    Profile
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Posts: 547 from 2003/2/24
    From: finland, the l...
    Quote:

    I am more than dissapointed on how you had managed my poor/difficult situation

    I'm sorry but you dug this hole yourself. We're not responsible for your own mistakes.

    Quote:

    I expected more from Amiga users really.

    Me too.
  • »04.07.22 - 18:12
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    Posts: 464 from 2013/5/29
    Dont know if it is a languaje problem (it is for me) or no attention to the solutions.
    We are in a spanish Amiga Telegram group with more than 160 members.
    You could join and try to get help.
    But I think a lot of people have tried to be helpful here and in AW.
    Let me know what do you think.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »04.07.22 - 20:47
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Posts: 225 from 2004/4/3
    From: France
    @bearerofthetorch,

    I can propose to you a solution. Over the coming weekend, during 3 days, there will be a little gathering, the NASS, at Surgère near La Rochelle, https://www.nass-4a.org/ . Warning, the web site is only in french. Despite this might represent for you 1500 or 2000 km, if you come by road, can or could you come to this gathering ? I also own an amigaone x5000 bought 2 years ago from amedia computer, I use it with morphos but not with amigaos. I maybe could help you to obtain your amigaone x5000 to finally boot on morphos or on amigaos.

    What do you think about my proposition ?

    Brumiga

    [ Edité par Brumiga 05.07.2022 - 10:34 ]
  • »05.07.22 - 08:32
    Profile