Weather Monitoring on MorphOS
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Puni
    Hi everyone,

Anyone else here watched the LGR video "Weather Monitoring on a 486 PC! 1990s Davis Weather Station"?

Weather Station LGR

I found the video fascinating and started thinking about MorphOS. Do you think it would be possible to connect a weather system, for example a more modern one that uses wireless networking, to a computer running MorphOS?

Maybe one can get data through the browser with Wayfarer? A separate dedicated program would be cool though. :-)

Perhaps there is a dedicated program on the classic Amiga range that is similar to the one LGR showed on his 486?

[ Edited by Puni 30.11.2021 - 10:44 ]
    Member of Void - An Amiga demo group (website)
  • »30.11.21 - 11:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    We can connect to anything, just application needs to be written. I'm going to write an app for solaredge.com (PV Panels monitoring) to check how my PV installation is working. If api is public, application is quite easy to write.

[ Edited by zukow 30.11.2021 - 15:49 ]
  • »30.11.21 - 15:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I've actually written a MODBUS-based screenbar several years ago... Depending on what your hardware uses to communicate, it could be of some limited use. I'll see if I can add the source to the SDK as an exmple.
  • »30.11.21 - 16:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Puni
    Thanks for the replies guys! :-)

I see that Netatmo Connect has public API:

Netatmo API

Netatmo Weather Station

I have not looked at their products in-depth, but think it looks interesting.

Would be great to have an application receiving data from their weather system. :-) So this could be doable?

This might be a stupid question, but could one in theory use Hollywood for this purpose?
  • »30.11.21 - 18:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Puni wrote:
    This might be a stupid question, but could one in theory use Hollywood for this purpose?

Yes.

BTW. speaking about weather stations, I had my A1200 as a weather station in 90s :) I made sensors for AmigaTemp (sensors could be connected to joystick or parallel port) and wired one sensor out of the window of the house to measure outside temperatures (and had another sensor inside my towered A1200 to measure case temp). Then I shared that temperature information eveywhere with some ARexx scripts. I had local temperature info in the Workbench screenbar (custom text with DOpus Magellan2), I had scripts for AmIRC to write temp info to IRC channels (users could even request it by themselves), and I think I also put that info on the LCD display I had in a 5.25" bay of the tower case.
  • »01.12.21 - 14:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Puni
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Puni wrote:

Yes.

BTW. speaking about weather stations, I had my A1200 as a weather station in 90s :) I made sensors for AmigaTemp (sensors could be connected to joystick or parallel port) and wired one sensor out of the window of the house to measure outside temperatures (and had another sensor inside my towered A1200 to measure case temp). Then I shared that temperature information eveywhere with some ARexx scripts. I had local temperature info in the Workbench screenbar (custom text with DOpus Magellan2), I had scripts for AmIRC to write temp info to IRC channels (users could even request it by themselves), and I think I also put that info on the LCD display I had in a 5.25" bay of the tower case.

Nice setup you had going there, jPV! :-) Do you have something similar up and running these days?

I will look into how a weather application can be made in Hollywood. Completely new territory for me, but one has to start somewhere. ;-)
  • »02.12.21 - 20:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    Maybe Check This::
    Yweather
  • »05.12.21 - 20:21
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Quote:

Puni wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Puni wrote:

Yes.

Nice setup you had going there, jPV! :-) Do you have something similar up and running these days?

I will look into how a weather application can be made in Hollywood. Completely new territory for me, but one has to start somewhere. ;-)

Hope you pick up the task once again as it would be extremely helpful to monitor at least the internals of the computer tower. I have tried with PC Temper2 but it wasn't recognized (USB) under Morphos. My idea was that since the sensor throws data (temp) on a txt file under regular intervals, perhaps I could interfere and translate it in a visual way. Unfortunately it seemed incompatible with our OS. If you can locate a USB sensor and make it work with AmigaTemp or whatever way you think it should be better it would be awesome, Full blown weather stations require a relative amount of time money for investment, perhaps we can start with some thing modest.

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 05.12.2021 - 23:29 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »05.12.21 - 21:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Puni wrote:

No, weather infos you can get from Internet nowadays is quite enough that I'd been bothering to setup anything locally anymore... I just use the Weather widget of RNOWidgets :)

Quote:

I guess the most work goes for the communication with the server. You might be able to send requests and receive responses simply with the DownloadFile function, or if there's some issue with it, you might need to write a request function with the hURL plugin. I think requests and responses are made as JSON in this case and you can convert them easily from/to Hollywood tables with SerializeTable and DeserializeTable functions. So, you send a request to a server, get a response data in the JSON format, convert that data to a Hollywood table and then it's easy to process for anything you want.
  • »06.12.21 - 18:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Puni
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Puni wrote:

No, weather infos you can get from Internet nowadays is quite enough that I'd been bothering to setup anything locally anymore... I just use the Weather widget of RNOWidgets :)

Quote:

I guess the most work goes for the communication with the server. You might be able to send requests and receive responses simply with the DownloadFile function, or if there's some issue with it, you might need to write a request function with the hURL plugin. I think requests and responses are made as JSON in this case and you can convert them easily from/to Hollywood tables with SerializeTable and DeserializeTable functions. So, you send a request to a server, get a response data in the JSON format, convert that data to a Hollywood table and then it's easy to process for anything you want.

Hi jPV,

Thanks for the tips concerning such a weather project. :-) I'll see if I can get something set up outside here and then try to experiment with it.
  • »21.12.21 - 19:09
    Profile Visit Website