How do I install Wordworth 6 Office?
  • Just looking around
    Hello, I've purchased a licensed copy of Wordworth 6 Office from 1996. However, I can't get the installation to work.
    My setup is:
    PowerBook 6.5
    1200 MHz
    735 MB RAM
    MorphOS 3.15

After booting up, I open the shell, cd to english_products/wordworth_6, then do:
    execute install_wordworth_6

After choosing "Expert User" at the installer, then "Install for real", then chosing the destination for the "Wordworth6" folder, it asks: "Do you wish to install the small font library?"
    Whether I click "Yes" or "No", it bails out with the message:
    "Sorry... an Error Has Occured!
    MAKEDIR: Couldn't create directory
    DOS Error Type: Cause of disk-.related error unknown."

The Wordworth6 folder has been created by the installer, though, but it is empty.
    Logging the installation process to a file doesn't work.

How can I find out what went wrong and proceed with the installation? Any help would be appreciated.
  • »15.08.21 - 20:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    It's abit ago that I installed Wordworth, but IIRC it didn't work OOTB. Easiest workaround is to just copy an existing istallation to MorphOS. Set the "PICASSOTRUE" tooltype and it should work.
    Obtaining a working installion: just do it on an UAE setup (most andy probably under MorphOS UAE as yu are on the right machine then from the beginning).

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 15.08.2021 - 23:45 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.08.21 - 21:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Farroukh - I seem to remember that the installer on the disc has to be substituted for the MorphOS Installer and it will install correctly, but as Zylesea mentioned, it's a while ago since I installed it, but then I haven't found a real use for it as it has trouble printing PostScript to the new/current MorphOS PPD printer system, and PostScript I always found to be a bit "messy" with WordWorth. I preferred to print via Turboprint (7) on Amiga OS3.9 but that hasn't worked for me, as such, on MorphOS to my recollection, and there's no Printer option to get it to use USBPAR:, only to send a file to USBPAR:, and I'm not sure that works either. :-?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »15.08.21 - 23:44
  • Just looking around
    Thank you so much for your replies. I re-tried the installation procedure with InstallerLG 44.10, and it worked! Datastore and Organiser from the office suite have been installed smoothly and are running perfectly fine. The installation of Wordworth proper required me to comment out a few lines in the install script, near the end of the process, but the program has now also been set up.
  • »17.08.21 - 17:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Troubleshooting stuff like this is the only thing that makes me prefer Windows (that and plentiful apps for Windows).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »17.08.21 - 17:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    Troubleshooting stuff like this is the only thing that makes me prefer Windows (that and plentiful apps for Windows).

Hey Jim. since when do you actually *prefer* Windows? I think Windows is the well known necessity we are all used to and have arranged with. But we all prefer MorphOS of course ;-).
    And isn't the fiddling with the system the candy of our boring daily IT life?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »18.08.21 - 22:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote: - [... But we all prefer MorphOS of course ;-). And isn't the fiddling with the system the candy of our boring daily IT life?

Me . . . + 1 . . . to that :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.08.21 - 02:18
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

Farroukh wrote:
    Thank you so much for your replies. I re-tried the installation procedure with InstallerLG 44.10, and it worked! Datastore and Organiser from the office suite have been installed smoothly and are running perfectly fine. The installation of Wordworth proper required me to comment out a few lines in the install script, near the end of the process, but the program has now also been set up.

Glad it works for you. May I ask what lines you needed to comment out?
  • »20.08.21 - 12:14
  • Just looking around
    Sure, it was lines 2003-2013. I think those were meant to install the printer driver. That didn't work because apparently, the variable containing the driver archive hasn't been set.
  • »21.08.21 - 11:49
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sTix
    Quote:

Farroukh wrote:
    Sure, it was lines 2003-2013. I think those were meant to install the printer driver. That didn't work because apparently, the variable containing the driver archive hasn't been set.

Thanks!
  • »22.08.21 - 21:53
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

Hey Jim. since when do you actually *prefer* Windows? I think Windows is the well known necessity we are all used to and have arranged with. But we all prefer MorphOS of course ;-).
    And isn't the fiddling with the system the candy of our boring daily IT life?

It would be if I could keep a system up and running, my G5 now overheats and I dread rebuilding the coolant system. Truly looking forward to an X64 shift so I can stop using PPCs.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.08.21 - 14:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    Truly looking forward to an X64 shift so I can stop using PPCs.

...or a modern platform like Arm M1.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »24.08.21 - 20:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Truly looking forward to an X64 shift so I can stop using PPCs.

> ...or a modern platform like Arm M1.

…unless announced plans didn't change :-)
  • »24.08.21 - 20:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

polluks schrieb:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    Truly looking forward to an X64 shift so I can stop using PPCs.

...or a modern platform like Arm M1.

Sure... Without any documentation about the iGPU and other stuff the M1 incorporates... Or how would you convince Apple to release at least hardware specs & documentation of their ARM stuff?

Nope, not Apple again. Certainly the M1 is very powerful but IMHO it's even more deadend than the PPC-Macs are. They are doing their best to keep their hardware 'secrect' and the Linux OpenSource community is having a hard time to reverse engineer every bit of it...

A bit of an OT rant, I know. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »25.08.21 - 18:30