Beginners Setup
  • jPV
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jPV
    Posts: 1810 from 2003/2/24
    From: po-RNO
    Quote:

    pikewerfer wrote:
    BTW - I tried to make screenshots for this thread, therefore installed Screenshot 1.4. However, I am using a Mac keyboard. And every time I try to adjust the keys to trigger Screenshot in the Screen Settings, the whole system freezes on me. If anyone can recommend a better way of making screenshots, I would be happy.

    You don't need to install anything for taking screenshots, because OS provides functionality for this. Press right mouse button over the right top corner (the Screen Depth Gadget), and enable Modules -> Grabber. Now left click over the new icon that appeared on the top bar. Either grab screen/window/etc with it directly, or select the "Grabber..." option to open a screen grab utility (which is also found from the Utilities directory).

    Quote:

    SYS:FONTS:_ttf

    This isn't a valid path in MorphOS (or in AmigaOS for that matter), so if you really used this from a shell, for example, who knows what's happened :)

    Only partition (or actually volume/device/assign) name should end with the colon (:) character, that means that you only should have one colon in any path you enter. Directories in the path are separated with the slash (/) character. So it should be SYS:FONTS/_ttf/

    If you look at the filesize of the broken font, does it match with the original?

    If Morpheus could load the font, it must be have custom routines to check and load it. For installing a font system wide, you should do it according the guide.

    [ Edited by jPV 23.07.2021 - 17:48 ]
  • »23.07.21 - 14:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Posts: 1184 from 2012/11/10
    From: Manchester, UK/GB
    Quote:

    pikewerfer wrote: BTW - I tried to make screenshots for this thread, therefore installed Screenshot 1.4.

    The way jPV has instructed should work OK, but Grabber only saves PNG files, so I usually use SnapIt v1.5 (MorphOS Storage) as I find that easier and it saves as PNG or Progressive JPG, and isn't so fiddly with the default hotkeys (lshift lalt q / w / s), as sometimes you need to grab an image there and then, and SnapIt once you used the 2 keystroke hotkey (Ctrl+w - WINDOW) (Ctrl+s - SCREEN) (Ctrl +f - FREE GRAB) holds the screen at that moment and then mark just a graphical section of the screen (not video) that you want to save, so you can choose accurately what size you want to save until the grabbing has completed.

    Also, I use an Apple A1016 Bluetooth keyboard and it works fine for me - you choose whichever method you prefer as both should do what you want and be fine., but with SnapIt v1.5 I am happier using it , this is obviously also possible with Grabber, but I just feel more comfortable with SnapIt - it's maybe a personal thing - you decide. 8-)
    Quote:

    pikewerfer wrote: BTW. should anyone wish to accompany me in terms of font testing, let me know, and I will send you those two fonts. For testing purposes, this is ok. :-)

    OK, I'll test them for you if you like, just send me a PM and I'll let you have my contact for sending the fonts, or you can let me have yours and I'll get in touch that way, either way is fine with me. :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,10,2,64MB VRAM,1GB,Airport, Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW,Iomega MiniMax,Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x, USB2, MorphOS 3.12, Mac OSX 10.4/10.5, A1138+A1139 PwrBk MOS v3.12,Model 5,8/5,9, & PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP)
  • »24.07.21 - 05:20
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    pikewerfer
    Posts: 29 from 2021/7/9
    Hi guys,

    new week, more info.

    So I followed up JVP's suggestion and compared file size - and lo and behold, the file size of the "strangely renamed" OT TTF was not identical to the file size of the actual font. I once more copied the font file to SYS:FONTS/_ttf/ (hope I got it right this time) - and now MORPHEUS can see both the OT TTF as well as the OT CFF.

    Unfortunately, MORPHEUS is extremely buggy and has a lot of issues with actually loading the fonts. They are both in the fonts dropdown - but actually selecting them to start writing is a nightmare. BUT - I managed to select them in the end, and was able to WRITE with them. So this WORKS.

    So to summarize: SYS:FONTS/_ttf/ seems to be a drawer that "some" applications tap into in order to get their fonts. And should the app be able to read OpenTypes, then these will be read. However, these fonts will NOT become part of the system fonts list.

    However, the "official" way to install those fonts seems to be using a tool called FTManager. From what I understand, this tool analyzes the font file (which has to be a TTF?) and then creates two additional files (.font and .otag files). Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure if this is legal when using commercial fonts. I will need to check with our legal department. Most font foundries do not allow extracting font information from their fonts in order to create a new file.

    The next question would be: does this actually work? OT TTF might look like TrueType fonts. But they are not. OpenType is a container format, and it includes a lot of possible options, like alternates or even contextual writing. I strongly assume this will either not work at all, or reduce the OpenType to its TrueType characters (and maybe not even all of them - OT TTF can hold up to 56 000 chars. But old TrueTypes usually only held 256 chars).

    Will test this asap. Stay tuned. :-)

    [ Edited by pikewerfer 26.07.2021 - 16:39 ]
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.15
  • »26.07.21 - 10:21
    Profile
  • jPV
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jPV
    Posts: 1810 from 2003/2/24
    From: po-RNO
    Quote:

    pikewerfer wrote:

    However, the "official" way to install those fonts seems to be using a tool called FTManager. From what I understand, this tool analyzes the font file (which has to be a TTF?) and then creates two additional files (.font and .otag files). Unfortunately, I am not 100% sure if this is legal when using commercial fonts. I will need to check with our legal department. Most font foundries do not allow extracting font information from their fonts in order to create a new file.

    I think it's more like a wrapper to the font (to be compatible to Amiga font API or something like that) and doesn't actually extract much/any information from the actual font data. Generated .font files are only 4 bytes long, so they must only contain some binary file type identification bytes or such. And .otag file sizes are only couple hundred bytes and they mainly contain paths pointing to the actual font (in _ttf dir).

    So, my guess is that there probably isn't any copyrighted data extracted/converted, but maybe some MorphOS developer would know better :)
  • »26.07.21 - 12:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11471 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > my guess is that there probably isn't any copyrighted data extracted/converted

    Yes, that's what I get from reading the sources linked from this Google search.
  • »26.07.21 - 12:33
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    pikewerfer
    Posts: 29 from 2021/7/9
    Good! I will simply assume this is no violation - and continue.

    To my surprise, FTManager lists both the OT TTF as well as the OT CFF. I can install both.

    After rebooting the OS... I ACTUALLY HAVE BOTH FONTS LISTED IN THE MORPHOS PREFS - IN FONTS!

    WHOOOOOOT!!

    So looks like installing it using FTManager gets these fonts installed for real! Now let's find some apps to test these fonts with. Any suggestions?
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.15
  • »26.07.21 - 14:53
    Profile
  • jPV
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jPV
    Posts: 1810 from 2003/2/24
    From: po-RNO
    Quote:

    pikewerfer wrote:
    To my surprise, FTManager lists both the OT TTF as well as the OT CFF. I can install both.

    After rebooting the OS... I ACTUALLY HAVE BOTH FONTS LISTED IN THE MORPHOS PREFS - IN FONTS!


    Oh, that's cool! :)


    Quote:

    So looks like installing it using FTManager gets these fonts installed for real! Now let's find some apps to test these fonts with. Any suggestions?

    Open a picture in ShowCase and select "Process -> Insert Text" from the rmb pull-down menu (or press command-t key combination), select font, type something in the "text" field and adjust the position sliders if needed :)
  • »26.07.21 - 15:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Posts: 423 from 2012/4/28
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf escribió:
    > my guess is that there probably isn't any copyrighted data extracted/converted

    Yes, that's what I get from reading the sources linked from this Google search.

    FontTester for example available in MorphOS Storage:
    https://www.morphos-storage.net/
    https://www.morphos-storage.net/?id=1637829
  • »26.07.21 - 16:56
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11471 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    >> Yes, that's what I get from reading the sources
    >> linked from this Google search.

    > FontTester for example available in MorphOS Storage: [...]

    Wrong quote?
  • »26.07.21 - 17:02
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Posts: 423 from 2012/4/28
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf escribió:
    >> Yes, that's what I get from reading the sources
    >> linked from this Google search.

    > FontTester for example available in MorphOS Storage: [...]

    Wrong quote?

    Humm, I though that him needs programs to test fonts under MorphOS.
  • »26.07.21 - 17:37
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11471 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    >>>> Yes, that's what I get from reading the sources
    >>>> linked from this Google search.

    >>> FontTester for example available in MorphOS Storage: [...]

    >> Wrong quote?

    > I though that him needs programs to test fonts under MorphOS.

    Yes, but you replied to me (talking about .otag files), not to him.
  • »26.07.21 - 21:07
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    pikewerfer
    Posts: 29 from 2021/7/9
    New Day, new discoveries :-)

    @NewSense - thank you for your email, I sent you the fonts. Have fun playing around.

    @Templario - thank you for the hint. I installed FontTester and loaded both fonts. Both fonts were read, so it SEEMS that the freetype.library used by MorphOS is indeed able to load OpenType data - or at least load TT and PS outlines stored in an OpenType.

    However, the FontTester only shows standard characters. So only BASIC LATIN and LATIN EXTENDED (the w01 and w02 codepages, i.e. the first two codepages of a font).

    In other words, only 132 characters are shown - but Syntax has 385 characters. I strongly assume MorphOS is only loading the first two codepages, assuming that there is nothing else in there (which used to be the case with TT and PS fonts).

    Unfortunately, standard OT fonts can have up to 56 000 chars included. If my assumption is correct, then installing a Chinese font would not enable you to write Chinese, because you would never be able to reach those codepages that host those several thousand chars.

    Still, looks like the fonts as such a functional and also render ok. So at least for users using Latin scripts (aka English), it is possible to use professional OpenTypes. Nice! :-)

    @JVC - I tried using ShowCase, and that did work. I was able to include both fonts as text into the image.

    So all in all I would say: More fonts would make MorphOS more "morphy". :-D
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.15
  • »27.07.21 - 13:37
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Posts: 423 from 2012/4/28
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf escribió:
    >>>> Yes, that's what I get from reading the sources
    >>>> linked from this Google search.

    >>> FontTester for example available in MorphOS Storage: [...]

    >> Wrong quote?

    > I though that him needs programs to test fonts under MorphOS.

    Yes, but you replied to me (talking about .otag files), not to him.


    Uffs, sorry.
  • »27.07.21 - 14:29
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Posts: 423 from 2012/4/28
    Quote:

    pikewerfer escribió:
    New Day, new discoveries :-)

    @NewSense - thank you for your email, I sent you the fonts. Have fun playing around.

    @Templario - thank you for the hint. I installed FontTester and loaded both fonts. Both fonts were read, so it SEEMS that the freetype.library used by MorphOS is indeed able to load OpenType data - or at least load TT and PS outlines stored in an OpenType.

    However, the FontTester only shows standard characters. So only BASIC LATIN and LATIN EXTENDED (the w01 and w02 codepages, i.e. the first two codepages of a font).

    In other words, only 132 characters are shown - but Syntax has 385 characters. I strongly assume MorphOS is only loading the first two codepages, assuming that there is nothing else in there (which used to be the case with TT and PS fonts).

    Unfortunately, standard OT fonts can have up to 56 000 chars included. If my assumption is correct, then installing a Chinese font would not enable you to write Chinese, because you would never be able to reach those codepages that host those several thousand chars.

    Still, looks like the fonts as such a functional and also render ok. So at least for users using Latin scripts (aka English), it is possible to use professional OpenTypes. Nice! :-)

    @JVC - I tried using ShowCase, and that did work. I was able to include both fonts as text into the image.

    So all in all I would say: More fonts would make MorphOS more "morphy". :-D


    The special charapters or symbols as in the cases of cirilic for Greek, chinesse or japanese kanji, they can show if the program or game uses them, but not if the program or game use the system default fonts and you use MorphOS with other language for example english, this feature from Windos doesn't work in Amiga systems, but if your game or program use the special fonts loaded they are show, for example my experiment fame Sabrina, cans show the the chinese and japanesse languages even in the menu but only under Windows in MorphOS and AmigaOS4 not, but the text inside the window they were showed perfectly in these Amiga systems.
  • »27.07.21 - 14:35
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    pikewerfer
    Posts: 29 from 2021/7/9
    Quote:

    Templario wrote:

    The special charapters or symbols as in the cases of cirilic for Greek, chinesse or japanese kanji, they can show if the program or game uses them, but not if the program or game use the system default fonts and you use MorphOS with other language for example english, this feature from Windos doesn't work in Amiga systems, but if your game or program use the special fonts loaded they are show, for example my experiment fame Sabrina, cans show the the chinese and japanesse languages even in the menu but only under Windows in MorphOS and AmigaOS4 not, but the text inside the window they were showed perfectly in these Amiga systems.




    Hi there - would it be possible to make a short video showing this? I am not sure I get it. Thanks.
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.15
  • »27.07.21 - 15:13
    Profile
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Posts: 449 from 2003/4/11
    From: Germany
    Quote:

    pikewerfer schrieb:
    Quote:

    Templario wrote:

    The special charapters or symbols as in the cases of cirilic for Greek, chinesse or japanese kanji, they can show if the program or game uses them, but not if the program or game use the system default fonts and you use MorphOS with other language for example english, this feature from Windos doesn't work in Amiga systems, but if your game or program use the special fonts loaded they are show, for example my experiment fame Sabrina, cans show the the chinese and japanesse languages even in the menu but only under Windows in MorphOS and AmigaOS4 not, but the text inside the window they were showed perfectly in these Amiga systems.




    Hi there - would it be possible to make a short video showing this? I am not sure I get it. Thanks.




    You can also use the FlowStudio editor to test extended characters. In UTF-8/TTEngine mode, it uses a secondary font backend called TTEngine which is also used by some newer MUI apps like Iris and/or Wayfarer to have character support beyond the classical codepage range. MUI support for the new font backend has been introduced in MorphOS 3.12.
    In theory, you should be able to copy/paste UTF8 data from within a Wayfarer HTML page or load a UTF-8 coded text document with extended characters. You have to integrate new fonts using Tools/TTEManager instead of Tools/FTManager, though. At some point, both the legacy font system and the extended one will most likely be merged but currently they basically coexist for the time being.
  • »27.07.21 - 15:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Posts: 423 from 2012/4/28
    Quote:

    pikewerfer escribió:
    Quote:

    Templario wrote:

    The special charapters or symbols as in the cases of cirilic for Greek, chinesse or japanese kanji, they can show if the program or game uses them, but not if the program or game use the system default fonts and you use MorphOS with other language for example english, this feature from Windos doesn't work in Amiga systems, but if your game or program use the special fonts loaded they are show, for example my experiment fame Sabrina, cans show the the chinese and japanesse languages even in the menu but only under Windows in MorphOS and AmigaOS4 not, but the text inside the window they were showed perfectly in these Amiga systems.




    Hi there - would it be possible to make a short video showing this? I am not sure I get it. Thanks.




    Humm, I don't know how make a video with it, I use this with Hollywood language and make test and error to know what work and not.
  • »27.07.21 - 16:33
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    pikewerfer
    Posts: 29 from 2021/7/9
    Quote:

    cyfm wrote:
    You can also use the FlowStudio editor to test extended characters. In UTF-8/TTEngine mode, it uses a secondary font backend called TTEngine which is also used by some newer MUI apps like Iris and/or Wayfarer to have character support beyond the classical codepage range. MUI support for the new font backend has been introduced in MorphOS 3.12.
    In theory, you should be able to copy/paste UTF8 data from within a Wayfarer HTML page or load a UTF-8 coded text document with extended characters. You have to integrate new fonts using Tools/TTEManager instead of Tools/FTManager, though. At some point, both the legacy font system and the extended one will most likely be merged but currently they basically coexist for the time being.



    Oh wow - super-interesting information! So we basically have a legacy font installation workflow using FTManager & a new font installation workflow using TTEngine! Great. I will test the new workflow asap naturally.

    @cyfm - one quick question: should I uninstall the fonts I installed via FTManager before reinstalling them via TTEngine? Or would it be ok to actually install them twice? How would they be shown in the system fonts list if we do so?

    @all - this is a really cool crowd, and I absolutely am enjoying my journey into MorphOS so far. I would like to continue - so I will now try to get better hardware (I currently have a Mac mini G4 1.25). What would the currently fastest machine be for MorphOS? Are there upcoming PPC machines one might want to pre-buy?

    And I will definitely try to help getting more font onboarded :-)
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.15
  • »28.07.21 - 10:17
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 11471 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > What would the currently fastest machine be for MorphOS?

    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13168&forum=11

    > Are there upcoming PPC machines one might want to pre-buy?

    There are newish and upcoming Power(PC) machines, all of them without the prospect of MorphOS being ported to them, so do not pre-buy if MorphOS is what you want to run.
    As the MorphOS team has always said, the possibility of a port to hardware that the MorphOS team doesn't happen to own already or that a MorphOS team member doesn't want to get anyway necessarily depends on the respective hardware being donated to the MorphOS team.
    If you want a newly available (as in unused) machine that's in G5 ballpark performance-wise (but unfortunately lacks AltiVec/VMX SIMD) and that MorphOS already supports, you could try to get an A-Eon AmigaOne X5000 (or just its CyrusPlus mainboard).
  • »28.07.21 - 14:45
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Posts: 1184 from 2012/11/10
    From: Manchester, UK/GB
    Quote:

    pikewerfer wrote: @ cyfm - one quick question: should I uninstall the fonts I installed via FTManager before reinstalling them via TTEngine? Or would it be ok to actually install them twice? How would they be shown in the system fonts list if we do so?

    I have installed both fonts you sent me, and though they seem to be "seen" when installed through the FTManager (they have not currently been uninstalled from FTManager) , they are then not recognised once installed with TTEngine in FlowStudio as an available font, and neither are many of the fonts I have installed in my Sys:Fonts/_ttf directory as they are not shown as available as TTFonts for use in FlowStudio.

    I too managed to get the Syntax font you sent me, viewable in Morpheus v1.77.

    However, as you commented, and I have also remarked on MorphOS-Storage that Morpheus is somewhat CPU intensive and "flaky", but sadly Carsten Siegner has not fixed this program, just moved onto something else, yet again, leaving it half-finished (optimistically speaking), which is a pity as it did, like many of his projects, show some good ideas, just rarely stable/completely fixed.

    So, sadly the Syntax type font (OT CFF) is virtually unrecognised in many other applications, so far during my time testing it, which is a pity (Morpheus is the only application that has loaded/used it, which is strange that you should have tried it in that program and it worked - first time lucky - are you lucky at cards too 8-D).

    PageStream 4 won't recogonise the Syntax font in its font lister, once all the fonts have been installed in the Sys:Fonts/_ttf directory. Though WordWorth 7 loads it as an available font, but won't input the characters on the screen, whereas the Helvetica font you sent me does load/input characters on screen, and seems to work quite normally, even displaying the extended characters in PageStream 4.

    I tried to get RNOPublisher to load the Syntax and Helvetica font, which it seemed to do, but won't load all the extended character set, and also won't save the document as a PDF as it generates an error requester stating -
    An unexpected error occurred
    Unsupported ttf format (cannot find a necessary table) (detail 8)
    (loadttffont/292)
    The program will quit, but a backup of the current document
    has been written to the RAM:RNOPublisher_crash_backup.rnd file
    Please report the error to the program author

    Which means I have to contact jPV about that error - but I have other points to raise about the program as well - so standby jPV for an email from me in the very near future.

    The Helvetica font pikewerfer sent me works in most circumstances, though only PageStream 4 is able to display the extended characters fully, as I cannot think of another MorphOS suported program that would allow Font Ctrl-C Mnemonic input or Ctrl-D Unicode input or even Windows type Alternate keypress input, like PageStream offers, but as the Syntax font is not really recognised in almost all of the applications I have tried so far it may be a step too far to get it to be recognised as it needs to be with the current TT Font engines/libraries that are part of MorphOS at this stage of development, but if others want to try the font they should contact pikewerfer to be able to do so, as I feel sure he would appreciate all the help he can get, if others have the time to test the fonts with MorphOS.
    Quote:

    pikewerfer wrote: @all - this is a really cool crowd, and I absolutely am enjoying my journey into MorphOS so far. I would like to continue - so I will now try to get better hardware (I currently have a Mac mini G4 1.25). What would the currently fastest machine be for MorphOS? Are there upcoming PPC machines one might want to pre-buy?

    Quote:

    Andreas Wolf wrote: . . . you could try to get an A-Eon AmigaOne X5000 (or just its CyrusPlus mainboard).

    @ pikewrefer - That would be a big outlay for you for such hardware, with you not knowing how much use you will get out of the system at this stage.

    If I was you, which I'm not, I'd try to get hold of a PowerBook A1138 or A1139 (both 1.67GHz G4 portable models), or another MacMini G4 (1.5GHz 64MB VRAM - "silent upgrade") model, from a system cost perspective, as those models are good at what they do. As I use a 1.5GHz MacMini for what I do most days, and I think you'll find, initially at least, it takes up only a small desktop area, or slotted onto a shelf, and you can use USB2 wireless mice or trackballs, and Bluetooth keyboards if you dual-boot with Mac OSX and use the pairing from there to initiate a bluetooth keyboard, which is what I do, or just use a standard USB2 keyboard, so you can sit back on a sofa/couch and access your machine in comfort, maybe even from a bath:-D, with a bluetooth keyboard, as you can control the mouse functions by using the Windows/Command+cursor key(s) or Windows/Command+Alt/Option+cursor key(s), or Shift+Command+cursor key(s).

    The PowerMac G5s are the most powerful Apple produced models supported by MorphOS AFAIK, but they are also the heaviest, largest, most power hungry systems that are available, and I've ended up with failed CPUs, which need to be replaced out or just swapped, and then thermally re-calibrated with Apple Service software CD, which can be obtained usually from an online search, or helpful MorphOS user, but Power Mac G5 models can generally be obtained fairly cheaply.

    This is just an oversight on hardware available, that I have learned from while using MorphOS, for you to get a realistic perspective for you to choose from. 8-)

    MorphOS cannot read more than 1.8Gb of RAM, if I've got that figure correct, or thereabouts, so no matter how much more RAM you fit it won't be useable under MorphOS. :-(
    MacMini 1.5GHz,10,2,64MB VRAM,1GB,Airport, Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW,Iomega MiniMax,Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x, USB2, MorphOS 3.12, Mac OSX 10.4/10.5, A1138+A1139 PwrBk MOS v3.12,Model 5,8/5,9, & PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP)
  • »29.07.21 - 03:26
    Profile
  • jPV
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jPV
    Posts: 1810 from 2003/2/24
    From: po-RNO
    Quote:

    NewSense wrote:
    I tried to get RNOPublisher to load the Syntax and Helvetica font, which it seemed to do, but won't load all the extended character set, and also won't save the document as a PDF as it generates an error requester stating -


    RNOPublisher isn't a proper test case here, because it bypasses the operating system's font system completely. I decided to use Hollywood's internal font engine for using/rendering ttf fonts on the application, and it might have some limitations compared to what the actual OS is capable to. And the PDF saving uses what libHaru (Hollywood's plugin is based on that) offers, the error you got is from it and I can't do anything for that myself... should ask from Hollywood's author for plugin options or libHaru developers, but I don't think it's actively developed anymore so chances might be slim.
  • »29.07.21 - 09:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    pikewerfer
    Posts: 29 from 2021/7/9
    @NewSense - thank you so much for all of your help! So I daresay we can conclude: if we want to create a Monotype Free Type Package for MorphOS users, then it should be OT TTF. These get recognized by most apps, and even those applications that cannot fully grab the complete char set can at least get the first two codepages, i.e. writing European languages would definitely be possible. So let me see what I can do here. It would be nice to give something to this community.

    @Andreas & NewSense - concerning the hardware: I strongly believe that the future of our everyday work will be cloud-based. My whole work day consists of sitting in front of a browser - I hardly ever open anything else.

    My browser contains everything I need to work: Slack, Google Docs, YouTube, JIRA, Confluence, Sharepoint, Drift, MS Office Online, etc. I have a browser with about 20 open tabs. The only separate app I have is my mail client - and even that I could do in my browser.

    Now, of course it is fun to work with lots of apps to do different things - especially retro stuff. But concerning work, only speed and browser power is relevant.

    Which means - if I want to use MorphOS for work I need to make sure that: a. it runs on systems that are really fast and b. have a browser that is cutting edge.

    At the moment, MorphOS is only running on Legacy Systems. So I will get a G5 and see how fast MorphOS will run for me. But naturally I hope there will be a new PPC computer that is fast and high-end somewhere in the future. And if there is, I would be more than willing to support and also donate to get MorphOS ported. :-)

    Concerning the browser - I really like Wayfarer. And I will naturally support it to get as good as Chrome :-) Because once it is, MorphOS would be a really inexpensive awesome alternative for companies who work with web apps all the time, but only have limited budget for their hardware. If they have to buy 10 G5 Macs and pay 79 bucks per seat instead of buying 10 M1 Apple Macs .... well :-) Plus I would then start using it for work as well :-D
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.15
  • »29.07.21 - 10:45
    Profile
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    pikewerfer
    Posts: 29 from 2021/7/9
    BTW - started testing some of these web apps:

    SalesForce (Lightning): is working fine, but loading VERY slow (--> need faster machine/more RAM)

    GoogleDrive: Also seems to work - but is way too slow to actually work with it (--> need faster machine/more RAM)

    YouTube (okay, so this is nice-to-have - since I use it to listen to music while I work): works fine - a bit slow, but fine

    So far, it looks like the browser can do it, and so can MorphOS. The hardware is just not up to it. Looking forward to testing more on a faster Mac G5.
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.15
  • »29.07.21 - 11:52
    Profile
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Posts: 449 from 2003/4/11
    From: Germany
    Quote:

    pikewerfer wrote:

    @cyfm - one quick question: should I uninstall the fonts I installed via FTManager before reinstalling them via TTEngine? Or would it be ok to actually install them twice? How would they be shown in the system fonts list if we do so?




    You probably should install fonts both ways even. The managing tools are basically needed to create some short path metadata for the related engines. As I've mentioned already, both systems are not fully merged yet. So you most likely have to install fonts which you want to use everywhere including Unicode capable MUI apps with both managers as it is now.
    Applications which have extended character support automatically use TTEngine then, the "legacy" ones do fall back to FTEngine.
  • »29.07.21 - 12:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    pikewerfer
    Posts: 29 from 2021/7/9
    Quote:

    cyfm wrote:
    You probably should install fonts both ways even. The managing tools are basically needed to create some short path metadata for the related engines. As I've mentioned already, both systems are not fully merged yet. So you most likely have to install fonts which you want to use everywhere including Unicode capable MUI apps with both managers as it is now.
    Applications which have extended character support automatically use TTEngine then, the "legacy" ones do fall back to FTEngine.



    @cyfm - thanks so much! I will install them "twice" and see what kind of results I am getting. BTW - can I in any way help with setting up the new & improved font flow in MorphOS? I am an expert in fonts, but know not a lot about coding apps :-) If nothing else, I can provide all kinds of fonts for you to test with....
    Mac Mini 1.25 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.15
  • »29.07.21 - 14:20
    Profile