How to change monitor resolution
  • Just looking around
    I'm using a supported G5 mac and needed to change my damaged 1080P monitor.

I swapped in a 1920X1200 monitor but have been unable to get MOS to recognize it and the resolution seems stuck on 1080P. In the Preferences Monitors tab, all resolution modes are grayed out for USE. I went back to the 1080P monitor and discovered that none of the resolutions can be selected for USE either.

Any idea how to change the monitor resolution?

Thanks.

[ Edited by Mach 29.06.2021 - 15:53 ]
  • »29.06.21 - 20:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hello Mach,

try to boot from MorphOSCD, normally MorphOS will found native resolution of your screen.

After, i think you must save file created in RAM:Prefs/Presets/Monitors/ to sys:prefs/presets/monitors
  • »29.06.21 - 20:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Mach wrote:
    I swapped in a 1920X1200 monitor but have been unable to get MOS to recognize it and the resolution seems stuck on 1080P. In the Preferences Monitors tab, all resolution modes are grayed out for USE. I went back to the 1080P monitor and discovered that none of the resolutions can be selected for USE either.

The "Monitors" prefs purpose is to configure screenmodes that are available for the system and programs to use. You can see the predefined/detected resolutions there, but you can also create new modes with different resolutions/depths. Changes you make are only available after a reboot if you save them, so that's why the Use button is ghosted and can't be selected ever. You can't actually make anything to use these modes, it's just about configuring available options with your hardware.

When you want to change the visible desktop resolution, you'll have to open the "Screens" preferences. There you can configure which screen is in which mode (remember that it's the Amiga legacy, that you can have multiple "screens" in multiple resolutions).

To change the desktop resolution, edit the "Ambient" screen in the "Screens" prefs. If you see a suitable resolution in the list there, just select it, and Use or Save it. But if you want some other resolution, then you have to go to the "Monitors" prefs to create a mode you want (when editing a mode or creating a new mode, you should always test if it works with your monitor, there's a "Test" button for it).
  • »30.06.21 - 09:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Hello Mach,

try to boot from MorphOSCD, normally MorphOS will found native resolution of your screen.

After, i think you must save file created in RAM:Prefs/Presets/Monitors/ to sys:prefs/presets/monitors

Thanks for that suggestion. I assumed your RAM referred to RAM disk on the booted CD which is where I found the file. (Just to state: I believe the CD produces the 1920x1200 resolution correctly.) I transferred the file to the installed HD install. The result was the screen was no longer stretched, however, there is a white bar across the bottom of the screen, so it's still 1920x1080. For me this is better than stretched but not ideal.
  • »30.06.21 - 16:51
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Mach wrote:

The "Monitors" prefs purpose is to configure screenmodes that are available for the system and programs to use. You can see the predefined/detected resolutions there, but you can also create new modes with different resolutions/depths. Changes you make are only available after a reboot if you save them, so that's why the Use button is ghosted and can't be selected ever. You can't actually make anything to use these modes, it's just about configuring available options with your hardware.

When you want to change the visible desktop resolution, you'll have to open the "Screens" preferences. There you can configure which screen is in which mode (remember that it's the Amiga legacy, that you can have multiple "screens" in multiple resolutions).

To change the desktop resolution, edit the "Ambient" screen in the "Screens" prefs. If you see a suitable resolution in the list there, just select it, and Use or Save it. But if you want some other resolution, then you have to go to the "Monitors" prefs to create a mode you want (when editing a mode or creating a new mode, you should always test if it works with your monitor, there's a "Test" button for it).

Yes, I believe that did it, possibly because of the file copied from running the CD. Originally I don't believe there was a 1200P option in the Ambient mode, so I tried to create a new one which was ineffective.

Many thanks!
  • »30.06.21 - 17:43