Powerbook without screen and MorphOS ?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hello,

i have a Powerbook with a broken screen.

It will be possible to have MorphOS use only external DVI port and remove broken screen ?

I launch MorphOS on it, if internal connector is connected to original powerbook screen i have MorphOS show on external screen.

If i disconnect the original powerbook screen before startup, i have nothing on external screen.

If i disconnect the original powerbook screen after startup, i keep MorphOS on external screen.

I would like MorphOS on external screen removing powerbook screen, is possible ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks ;-)

[ Edité par Papiosaur 19.05.2021 - 15:15 ]
  • »19.05.21 - 14:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    i have a Powerbook with a broken screen.

It will be possible to have MorphOS use only external DVI port and remove broken screen ?

I launch MorphOS on it, if internal connector is connected to original powerbook screen i have MorphOS show on external screen.

If i disconnect the original powerbook screen before startup, i have nothing on external screen.

If i disconnect the original powerbook screen after startup, i keep MorphOS on external screen.

I would like MorphOS on external screen removing powerbook screen, is possible ?

Any ideas ?

You'd like to get rid of the whole display (just rip it apart from the rest of computer) and have only the main body plus external monitor, or just dim the monitor so the broken display won't disturb you?

If the latter, then you could just unplug the inverter from the display. It will kill the display backlight so nothing would be seen on the (still connected) display.

If the former (and the ribbon cable has to be connected) then some research would be needed (what signal does the display send back to the motherboard that it's present), and you'd have to find a way to simulate it.
  • »19.05.21 - 14:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Hi koszer,

yes, i would like to remove completly the screen :-)

I have just tested, it work with only nappe and printed circuit board of the powerbook screen removed but i would like morphos show on external without that :-)

But i think it's a hardware problem...

[ Edité par Papiosaur 19.05.2021 - 15:42 ]
  • »19.05.21 - 14:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    it work with only nappe and printed circuit board of the powerbook screen removed but i would like morphos show on external without that :-)

You could always isolate and fit the needed circuitry inside the PowerBook case :)
  • »19.05.21 - 15:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    koszer a écrit :
    Quote:

You could always isolate and fit the needed circuitry inside the PowerBook case :)

Yes i will do that if there is no other solution :-D

[ Edité par Papiosaur 19.05.2021 - 16:53 ]
  • »19.05.21 - 15:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    There is a lid closing switch in the front edge of the palmrest/keyboard, in the base of the Powerbook case, that usually triggers if the lid is closed, and this is probably what you'd need to ensure indicates to (fools/tricks) the system that the lid is shut (even though it would have been removed) so that the external display gets activated when you switch on/boot MorphOS - if I understand you correctly. 8-D

Which model of Powerbook is it anyway?

The LCD displays are quite easy to fix/remove/replace, and often not that expensive, especially if they are the low-resolution model.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »19.05.21 - 19:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Which model of Powerbook is it anyway?

The LCD displays are quite easy to fix/remove/replace, and often not that expensive, especially if they are the low-resolution model.

It's not that easy to obtain a 15,2 inch display for PowerBook. It's much easier to find a 17 inch one though, as it's got pretty much standard diameter.
  • »19.05.21 - 20:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ kozser - I've always been able to find one when I needed one, and usually at a great price, though I haven't changed one-out for a few months, but I don't know if it is 15" (15.2") or 17" at the moment, as papiosaur hasn't specified which one he wants to do this project/screen issue/fix with, as yet.

I prefer to have a working screen as part of the Powerbook(s) I own, but it's a matter of personal preference, and competence/confidence it can be undertaken successfully, I suppose. :-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.05.21 - 06:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ kozser - I've always been able to find one when I needed one, and usually at a great price

A quick search on eBay for LTN152W6 gave me a few results, but the cheapest one is for 35+18 USD. With any luck you could find a working PowerBook for that price.
    But if you're patient enough I guess you could check every now and then and eventually get one for - I don't know - 15 EUR?

But we're strolling away from an interesting hardware project that Papiosaur started. And he made me wonder if it would be possible to fit a G4 PowerBook into an iMac G5 case :)
  • »20.05.21 - 06:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

koszer wrote: [... And he made me wonder if it would be possible to fit a G4 PowerBook into an iMac G5 case :-)

Ooh, that's a novel idea. 8-)
  • »21.05.21 - 06:26
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:
    Quote:

koszer wrote: [... And he made me wonder if it would be possible to fit a G4 PowerBook into an iMac G5 case :-)

Ooh, that's a novel idea. 8-)

While this is probably a fun experiment, I still would go for the iMac G5 with the original ingredients instead if I wanted to use MorphOS on it ... :)
  • »21.05.21 - 22:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:
    While this is probably a fun experiment, I still would go for the iMac G5 with the original ingredients instead if I wanted to use MorphOS on it ... :)

That goes without saying. Nevertheless, I do have a spare iMac G5 case (from a 1,8 GHz version with blown capacitors) stashed on the topmost shelf of my closet and should also find a working A1095 PowerBook mobo a few shelves lower.
  • »22.05.21 - 06:43