Imagine 3D v5, MOS & screen modes?
  • Just looking around
    jaesonk
    Another vintage application that I'm trying to get working is Imagine 3D V5. I own versions back to 2.0. I copied over all the files from my A3000T back-up. Set up the assigns and tweaked some of the config info. But Imagine doesn't even want to launch.

There are setting in the config file for AA chipset, CyberGraphX, Retina, and some other stuff.

When I was using this on my A3000T, I was running a CyberStormPPC with CyberVisionPPC. The PPC has since died so the board only works as 060. It was repaired a few times, but too much accumulated heat damage to the PPC traces have finallly killed it. I don't have the A3000T reassembled.

I did use ModePro for some applicatons. I don't recall if Imagine was one of them, it may have been. Do I need to install ModePro or similar app for MorphOS or is there already a utility in MOS for handling apps that need it.

Thanks.
    Jaeson
  • »14.03.21 - 05:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I can't remember if v5 handled CyberGraphX screens, but I would have thought it did, so there should be no need for ModePro, which isn't a native application under MorphOS anyway AFAIK, and I cannot think of a utility that does the same as ModePro for MorphOS anyway, though someone else might know differently.

You could probably run it within E-UAE anyway with a system already setup for such software, and then byass MorphOS/Ambient screens/requirements as such anyway.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »14.03.21 - 07:42
  • Just looking around
    jaesonk
    There's a setting in the Imagine5 config file to use cybergraphics library. If cybergraphx is installed, does MOS work with it or emulate it?

Jaeson
  • »14.03.21 - 21:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > If cybergraphx is installed, does MOS work with it or emulate it?

As with MUI, MorphOS already comes with CGX (v5). In fact, MorphOS is very much based on its integrated CGX, so do not install another version.
  • »15.03.21 - 00:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    MorphOS uses the cgxvideo.library, along with other components that originated with CyberGraphX as part of the basis for its screen displays, and I get the feeling that seeing as CyberGraphX system's co-developer was Frank Mariak (aka cyfm) is a major developer of MorphOS that the CyberGraphX system is basically internally catered for within MorphOS.

I use PageStream v4 quite a lot, and that was neither intended or adapted to use MUI as standard or MorphOS, but it runs within a CyberGraphX screenmode on OS3.x, which is catered for within Trance. So, I feel sure that Imagine v5 will run OK within Trance using that engine and the complexities of MorphOS to allow it to run similarly to how it worked within OS3.x. There are some programs that do not run stably or at all within Trance or MorphOS, but I feel sure you should be able to give it a try and see how it works.

My copy of Imagine v5 is on floppy disks so I cannot directly transfer the files to try it out personally on MorphOS at the moment, but I would be interested to hear from you as to how it copes/runs within Trance.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »15.03.21 - 01:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > PageStream v4 [...] runs within a CyberGraphX screenmode
    > on OS3.x, which is catered for within Trance.

Actually, Trance just translates the m68k code to PPC code. The OS3.x compatibility is catered for within the MorphOS API, as that's essentially what MorphOS is: a reimplementation of the OS3.x API.
  • »15.03.21 - 02:23
  • Just looking around
    jaesonk
    Some progress with Imagine5.

I'm reading through the release notes and found that starting with V5.14 a CSPPC or BlizzardPPC is REQUIRED. V5.14 and newer will not run on 68k only systems.

So unless there's some level of CSPPC support/emulation within MOS then I think this is part of my problem. I was trying to use V5.17.

I went back to V5.13 and it opens up. I need to do a clean install though as I still have my V5.17 config file installed (with all my customized buttons) and Imagine v5.13 complains about it. I also need to see if there are other PPC related files.

V5 might have been released on floppy but ACUP releases may have been downloads from a registered user webpage. I need to sift through my boxes.

In some v5 updates there were optimized texture files for 040 or 060s. You'd rename the texture.itx.060 to texture.itx if you used an 060. In situations like this, is it better to use 040 or 060 optimized code with MOS?

Jaeson

[ Edited by jaesonk 14.03.2021 - 20:28 ]
  • »15.03.21 - 02:27
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jaesonk wrote:
    I'm reading through the release notes and found that starting with V5.14 a CSPPC or BlizzardPPC is REQUIRED. V5.14 and newer will not run on 68k only systems.

So unless there's some level of CSPPC support/emulation within MOS then I think this is part of my problem. I was trying to use V5.17.

PPC programs for both PowerUp and WarpOS (PPC kernels for CSPPC/BPPC) should work on MorphOS... so unless the program is hitting/checking the PPC hardware directly (which would be quite stupid), those should work...
  • »15.03.21 - 05:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    jaesonk
    That's good to know. Maybe there's something corrupted with the v5.17 I installed from the back-up. I will try to restore it from another cd.

Jaeson
  • »15.03.21 - 14:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is it better to use 040 or 060 optimized code with MOS?

MorphOS team members have been suggesting to prefer 060 builds whenever possible, but there seem to be exceptions from this rule.
  • »16.03.21 - 11:04