CD label for MorphOS
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    I've made a rather simple CD label for 3.15 and included the PSD file so that you can bump up the version numbers. This is my first ago after a long break from Photoshop, it's not exactly my best work, I'll have something much better available soonish. It should be 600 DPI, the dimensions should be correct for most printable CDs.

Download - https://www.deviantart.com/macsix/art/MorphOS-3-CD-label-871059522

(the download link is underneath the transparent PNG)

Gallery - https://www.deviantart.com/disc-labels-covers

Preview:

deelttu-a2e0154a-55b7-44e7-b34b-e36d446af5d2.png

Licence: everyone is allowed to use, copy, modify, and redistribute for non-commercial purposes (i.e. you are not allowed to charge money for distributing the picture on its own) - CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 with attribution to Mac Plewa (Mac6). If you make modifications/variations, you are not permitted to add any restrictions and you must permit free copying, modification and redistribution.

Font: ITC Kabel (c) Adobe; unsure if this really is the actual font used by the MorphOS team.

[ Edited by mac6six 23.02.2021 - 07:25 ]
    Software engineer and systems architect
    4 x PowerMac G5 (main), 3 x iMac G5, Mac Mini, PowerBook G4 (w/o MorphOS)
  • »21.02.21 - 13:56
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    Sure, but it'll get outdated pretty soon so include the link to https://www.deviantart.com/macsix/art/MorphOS-3-CD-label-871059522 - the PNG and PSD files will be updated regularly on DeviantArt. Cheers, Mac.
  • »21.02.21 - 18:59
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    It should, I'll amend it later. Edit - now updated.

[ Edited by mac6six 22.02.2021 - 07:00 ]
  • »21.02.21 - 23:37
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Great work, maybe you could build a b/w version to laser print it directly on cd.
    I’m not sure but there were some drives who did this job for some brand selected CD/DVD supports.
  • »22.02.21 - 10:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

mac6six wrote:
    I've made a rather simple CD label for 3.15 and included the PSD file so that you can bump up the version numbers. This is my first ago after a long break from Photoshop, it's not exactly my best work, I'll have something much better available soonish. It should be 600 DPI, the dimensions should be correct for most printable CDs.

Download - https://www.deviantart.com/macsix/art/MorphOS-3-CD-label-871059522

(the download link is underneath the transparent PNG)

Preview:

deelttu-a2e0154a-55b7-44e7-b34b-e36d446af5d2.png

Nice work, but is there a way that I can download it without having to setup a DeviantArt account?

Did you give anyone else permission to host the image file? Edit: I see that you said "sure" to Papiosaur, so hopefully he will have it hosted soon.

[ Edited by amigadave 22.02.2021 - 11:47 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.02.21 - 20:45
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    I didn't know there was a requirement to register, that's annoying. I've tested it as visitor/unregistered user and at least the full res PNG is downloadable without registration requirement, only the PSD requires registration, unfortunately I have no control over it. Everyone can use, modify, redistribute, as long as no restrictions are placed on the copies and modifications. Nobody is allowed to charge money for copies and modifications. I've updated the original post with the details.

[ Edited by mac6six 23.02.2021 - 07:31 ]
  • »22.02.21 - 22:43
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    Quote:

Flash wrote:
    Great work, maybe you could build a b/w version to laser print it directly on cd.
    I’m not sure but there were some drives who did this job for some brand selected CD/DVD supports.

Lightscribe? Nah, I don't think anyone uses them anymore. And this is why the source PSD file is supplied, up the contrast, move saturation to 0% and bob's your uncle.
  • »22.02.21 - 22:59
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    Just playing with another deviation before leaving for work...

I'll probably post a few more deviations (variations) for MorphOS, Chrysalis and SDK this coming weekend under https://www.deviantart.com/disc-labels-covers

Requests - let me know before Friday.

qKccLda
  • »23.02.21 - 00:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    If you supplied the CD label both with and without the version number, and year (2021 removed - as 1999 will always apply) on it then anyone could just use it for now, and when a new version comes out, and/or dates change then modify it as required, as MorphOS is updated.

You may even want to do later versions yourself, which would be nice, as long as you're still a MorphOS user, which seems likely with your hardware profile, with no need for anyone here to become a member at DeviantArt to download the PSD file.

The rest of the label could remain the same, as most users will be able to add on the "version number" change to year released, with a graphic/DTP package of somekind, such as, Sketch, RNOPublisher, Folio being just a few ideas of how to add on the version number, and release date to the main CD image you've supplied.

If you want to do more then a CD case inlay front and back sheet to keep such a CD in would be really nice, and would be something I would definitely use.

I should also mention that, as a word of caution to all, sometimes printing/attaching a label to a CD seems to have an adverse effect on some available CD-R/RWs, as the adhesive that is used, the glue on the disc label, seems to affect/deteriorate the plastic of the CD after a period of time/over the years.

I have had a few CDs, such as Image FX v4.5, ProPage v4 go faulty which I can only put down to the glue/adhesive on the back of the label affecting them, making the CD go brittle as well. The ImageFX CD was a TDK brand which is generally regarded as a good media brand, and I have had 2 of those fail, so making a backup copy of my original Image FX CD, when I first bought it, turned out to be a good idea it seems.

Just a suggestion or few, if that's OK. :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »23.02.21 - 09:06
  • Just looking around
    mac6six
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    If you supplied the CD label both with and without the version number, and year (2021 removed - as 1999 will always apply) on it then anyone could just use it for now, and when a new version comes out, and/or dates change then modify it as required, as MorphOS is updated.

Just a suggestion or few, if that's OK. :-D

Yeah sure, I'll take that on board. By the way, I only print CDs directly on my printer, I've got the Epson 1430 which prints directly on the CD surface, this way you don't glue anything on a CD. I can't even apply a floppy label straight.

I'll think about CD or DVD covers. Unfortunately for the next month or so I'll be tied up running Azure webinars, so I may have to come back to it later.
  • »24.02.21 - 00:29
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

mac6six wrote:
    Lightscribe? Nah, I don't think anyone uses them anymore. And this is why the source PSD file is supplied, up the contrast, move saturation to 0% and bob's your uncle.

I use LightScribe. When I have time I will give this a whirl in my drive.
  • »27.02.21 - 04:53