G5 WiFi card recommendations
  • IKE
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    IKE
    I am looking for WiFi card recommendations, as the internal wifi is not working very well on my newly acquired machine. I have the G5 PCI-x 2 GHz model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp.html

Thanks,
    IKE
  • »30.10.20 - 16:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

IKE wrote:
    I am looking for WiFi card recommendations, as the internal wifi is not working very well on my newly acquired machine. I have the G5 PCI-x 2 GHz model:

Thanks,
    IKE

I have seen some G5 PowerMacs with wireless antennae out the back, but don't know if that is available for your model. I've never tried using the Apple AirPort wireless networking with my G5 PowerMac towers, only the built-in wireless networking in my MacMini and PowerBooks.

Another option that I have used successfully is a wireless network bridge (I think that is what it is called). I have one made by NetGear that I have used not only on some of my MorphOS systems, but also with my X1000 and even 68k big box Amiga Classic systems as well. They are quite cheap and need no drivers, since the system just sees it as a regular Ethernet connection.

Edit: Also just noticed that you're located in Southern Calif., where I grew up and spent most of my life, and often visit. Nice to know that there is another MorphOS user in California and maybe we can meet next time I am down South. I was just there, in the mountains near Lake Arrowhead, and in Big Bear Lake, about a week ago helping a friend.

[ Edited by amigadave 30.10.2020 - 08:52 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »30.10.20 - 16:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    Quote:

IKE wrote:

Thanks,
    IKE

As amigadave pointed out, your best bet is to probably modify a wireless router and use that as a "wireless bridge" to your network. This can sometimes be a headache if the right wireless routers arent used. All mine are ARM based wifi routers, so all of mine are Broadcom chipset.

I believe something like an Asus RT-AC66u would be just fine or even older routers that are around broadcom chipsets. I just always had lousy luck with Atheros chipsets.

Unsure if there are even pci express 1x that has such an old wifi chipset on it that would work.... Now that I think about it, might be worth experimenting getting an old M.2 wireless card that is the same chipset as that of an old airport card and combining the two? Unsure if something like that would even work.

[ Edited by Doffo 30.10.2020 - 13:27 ]
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »30.10.20 - 19:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Another option that I have used successfully is a wireless network bridge
    >> [...]. I have one made by NetGear [...]. They are quite cheap and need
    >> no drivers, since the system just sees it as a regular Ethernet connection.

> As amigadave pointed out, your best bet is to probably modify a wireless
    > router and use that as a "wireless bridge" to your network.

I don't think amigadave suggested to modify a router but to use a device specifically made for the purpose at hand.

> All mine are ARM based wifi routers, so all of mine are Broadcom chipset.
    > I believe something like an Asus RT-AC66u would be just fine or even
    > older routers that are around broadcom chipsets. I just always had lousy
    > luck with Atheros chipsets.

The chipset shouldn't matter. My wireless network bridge uses a MIPS-based chipset by Atheros/Qualcomm and works fine.

> Unsure if there are even pci express 1x that has such an old wifi chipset
    > on it that would work

IKE's G5 Mac is PCI-X, not PCIe. PCI-X slots can take PCI cards with the right voltage.
  • »30.10.20 - 20:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> Another option that I have used successfully is a wireless network bridge
    >> [...]. I have one made by NetGear [...]. They are quite cheap and need
    >> no drivers, since the system just sees it as a regular Ethernet connection.

> As amigadave pointed out, your best bet is to probably modify a wireless
    > router and use that as a "wireless bridge" to your network.

I don't think amigadave suggested to modify a router but to use a device specifically made for the purpose at hand.

> All mine are ARM based wifi routers, so all of mine are Broadcom chipset.
    > I believe something like an Asus RT-AC66u would be just fine or even
    > older routers that are around broadcom chipsets. I just always had lousy
    > luck with Atheros chipsets.

The chipset shouldn't matter. My wireless network bridge uses a MIPS-based chipset by Atheros/Qualcomm and works fine.

> Unsure if there are even pci express 1x that has such an old wifi chipset
    > on it that would work

IKE's G5 Mac is PCI-X, not PCIe. PCI-X slots can take PCI cards with the right voltage.

I appreciate the corrections. :) I just had bad luck at times where certain routers would struggle connecting, and using another of the same chipset worked. Just my bad luck I guess. :)

I thought he said he had a Quad G5, so why I thought he didn't have PCI-X to at least try and find a card based around that.

Again, appreciate the corrections! :)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »30.10.20 - 21:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

IKE wrote:
    I am looking for WiFi card recommendations, as the internal wifi is not working very well on my newly acquired machine.

Your G5 is a dual processor 2,0 GHz "AGP" PowerMac. Your internal AirPort Extreme A1027 card needs to be hooked up to an antenna. The wire that it's connected to leads to an antenna connector in the back. You need to plug in an external antenna for the WiFi to work properly as the aluminium case is pretty much shielding the signal.

That said, the original antenna is quite hard to find and pricey. But you can acquire any external antenna with an MCX connector (just make sure you get the correct "gender") and you're good to go.
  • »31.10.20 - 07:03