I sincerely hope that this thread does not generate any bad feelings, or ugly comments, as that is surely not my intent. So, please at least try to stay objective and factual with your comments. Here is/are the question(s);
What are the Pros and Cons of using the following OSes for daily computing needs:
Linux (whatever flavor)
Comment on any combination of the above OSes, but please at least include MorphOS and one other OS for comparison. I will be using the answers posted here to help me provide answers to AmiWest Show attendees, who ask me why I prefer MorphOS, or how other users are using MorphOS as a daily use system. I will appreciate well thought out answers to this thread, as they will be very helpful to me in preparing for the upcoming show in about 2-1/2 months.
Optionally, if you wish to also include how, or what changes you would suggest to improve MorphOS, I would be interested in reading those suggestions. Thanks in advance for your answers.
I added several ... And I rearranged them:
Ancient Operating System
- Decades of Soft Wares available for it, including After Dark, and After Market Soft Wares. These Soft Wares ran circles around Microsoft Windows. Ancient Operating System also has an efficient, light weight interface, with focus on Performance, It uses very small amounts of disk space.
- File Manager is practically unusable. It uses "Over write existing file?", and very bad Interface, there is no thumb nail preview to see images, Can not stream High Definition Video, Most Web Sites have boycotted Ancient Operating System 9.2.2, Unfortunately they do not make even After Market hard ware any more, the hardware is physically too small.
- I have not used it yet. However, I am interested in Vintage and Replica computers. They have been featured by Tech Moan.
- It is not available on Laptops.
- It is not Mac OS X.
- It is not MacOS.
- It is not available on Laptops, not even original Commodore SX 64 and LCD Portable Computers.
- It has insufficient amount of Necessary Updates.
- It could have used the original Guru Meditations.
- It is Open Source.
- It is available for many Computers.
- It is available for ARM Hardwares, which can increase both The Development,
- And The User Base.
- Most of the versions of AROS are actually Linux.
- Development is much too slow.
- I really want to use it easily on Pi Devices. They are still take too much time to develop it.
Mac OS X / MacOS
- Isn't It Nice To Have A Computer That Can Talk To You?
- It is obsolete before you even install it.
- It need not be expensive.
- Unreasonable System Requirements.
- It is from Apple.
- Apple contributed to the Civilian Delinquency.
- I have not used it in very long time. I expected similar user experience as Ancient Operating System 9.2.2. Unfortunately, it was very slow, and choice between Genie Effect and Scale Effect, and no option to have Effects turned off.
- Morph Developers are easy to contact.
- Morph Developers accept Donations for requests.
- Software Development Kit.
- Every Official Web Site is flawless.
- Every Official Web Site does not coerce peoples to have Specific Stylish Browsers.
- The Internet Browsers have been focused on Browsing The Internet.
- The Internet Browsers have been focused on an option to avoid "Security" Errors.
- The Internet Browsers have been focused on no Cartoon Mascots. ... And very ugly Cartoon Mascots. They have One Eyed Sheets Of Papers, Cartoons With No Faces At All In The Slightest, They continue to be ugly be cause Beautiful ones are not allowed as they offend some groups of peoples. How ever, it has been long established that Microsoft Bob, Rover, Clippit, and Bonzi, have been nuisance. I loathe error messages to begin with. I need not see very bad Cartoons Dancing Around or even any Mascots instead of Correcting the Errors.
- The Internet Browsers, when ever they have any Errors, are in Plain Text.
- The Internet Browsers, when ever they have any Errors, are in Requesters, and not erase the page that you browsed in order to display the error message.
- Push Over is available.
- Space Cadet Pin Ball is available.
- Never Ball is available.
- Never Putt is available.
- Numerous emulators are available.
- Cinnamon Writer is available.
- No Sleep Mode. Even Ancient Operating System has Sleep Mode. Sleep Mode is necessary to attract Users.
- No Hibernate Mode. Hibernate Mode is necessary to attract Users.
- 31 Bit Operating System. 64 Bit Operating System is necessary to attract Users.
- Supports only one Core.
- Memory Management can be improved. How ever, they instead prefer the Non Native Softwares instead of placing Non Native Softwares in an Emulator ... or even porting the Non Native Softwares.
- Grunch does not install Cinnamon Writer.
- Push Over interface is regressed.
- Never Ball is available.
- I really want to unlock the Impossible Level.
- Yes, Cinnamon Writer is available. How ever, Cinnamon Spread Sheet, Cinnamon Calculator, Cinnamon Slide Show, Cinnamon Publisher, Cinnamon Info Path, and Cinnamon Front Page, and others, are not available.
- The decision to port to X86 / AMD64 with out porting to ARM, which all the major Operating Systems support and have been for very long time.
- The dependence on Right Clicking, with many computers missing Right Click.
- The computers are physically small. Numeric Key Pad in Laptops is essential.
- The computers are physically small. Large 17.3+ Inch Display is essential.
- If the computers have Luminescence, they would attract many Users.
- Morph Developers manufactures the MorphOS, and not any computers. Users expect computers to have Operating System pre installed on their Hardwares. And they want their Computers to look Fancy. And Rugged such as Panasonic Tough Book. ... And easy to service, no difficult to change the batteries nor keyboards nor power buttons. Most Peoples search for "Computer" and purchase the first thing in Search Results, and expect it to have Operating System Pre - Installed, and use the Operating System, no matter what it is.
- Morph Developers do not seem to have embraced Pi Devices, which would increase both the development,
- And The User Base.
- Morph is not an actual company. It ought to be.
Linux (whatever flavor)
- I have experience with Cent. It is adequate.
- Too many Linux.
- They are unacceptable for Home Users.
- Also, Cent is discontinued.
- An option for me to use various classic Softwares that Microsoft Windows no longer supports.
- For MorphOS be cause I am going to use ReactOS as an alternative to Windows.
- It is a breeze.
- It is available for ARM.
- It is available on Pi Devices, which attracts Development.
- And Users.
- The same problem as MorphOS: There is no computer that contains a 17.3+ Inch Display, Numeric Keyboard, Easy To Service including but not limited to Battery and Keyboard and Power Button, rugged features of Panasonic Tough Book, and Luminescent. Most Peoples search for "Computer" and purchase the first thing in Search Results, and expect it to have Operating System Pre - Installed, and use the Operating System, no matter what it is.
- Unlike Mac OS X and probably MacOS, they do not have any Genie Effects and Scale Effects.
- Unlike Mac OS X and probably MacOS, Windows can be adjusted for Best Performance. My settings reflect this. However, I enabled the Use Thumbnails For Icons.
- Windows 7 no longer Overwrites Existing. Instead, they put files from Source Folder to Destination Folder if said Folders have the same name.
- Windows 10 Search Menu is very convenient.
- Large amount of Softwares available.
- Large amount of Non Microsoft Softwares available. They help adjust Preferences to make Windows look as Vintage as possible.
- Large amount of Softwares, including Light Weight Softwares and Portable Softwares, to do any thing you need.
- Nostalgia. Vapor Memory made music Windows96 100 Mornings. There is also things about Windows that improved over the decades. They mostly caught up to Ancient Operating System. While not have the same functionality as After Dark, there are Open GL Screen Savers ... My favourite 3D Maze. Card Games, including Tri Peaks 2001. Also have Best Of Windows Entertainment Pack More Free Games. Around this era is when most Peoples began to use computers.
- Yes, I got Screen Savers such as 3D Maze to function with Windows 10. However, I really doubt Windows 10 is going to have Games. They require an Emulator or even better an Update such as from G.O.G..
- These Screen Savers have been depreciated.
- These Games have been depreciated.
- It is Microsoft.
- Microsoft Contributed To Civilian Delinquency.
- Bill Gates Is Bill Gates.
- Melinda Gates Is Melinda Gates.
- Windows Update. By Any Means Necessary turn off this Virus. Yes, It is a Virus. If people want to spread a Viruses, Spywares, Ransomwares, which Windows Update qualifies all of them ... They will not brand it as such. They are not Skeletor, takeing pride in being Evil. Instead, they brand it as "Important", "Security" ... With Data Breach after Data Breach, it has been established that if some body wants it, they shall obtain it. They want peoples to update Windows Update, Web Browsers, so they brand it as "Important" and "Security". These Updates seem untested, making Windows very Unstable.
- On The Other Hand, Windows is well known for releasing Operating Systems prematurely. In Other Words, Windows itself has been unstable, requires updates that are not to be trusted.
- I am not going to install Windows 11.
- Unreasonable System Requirements.[ Edited by In_Correct 27.11.2021 - 12:51 ]
I Support Quark Microkernel.