1vs1 e-uae setup fails :/
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Hey there, I am trying to setup a 1vs1 (2 player mode) of a swos game through e-uae jit (latest) but seems I am having some difficulties.

I am using 2xTGS sticks with 2xDB9-USB adapters. I have also followed this guide from the Library but I just can't get it to work.

What I have done so far:

1) Left one joystick's usb prefs (devices/settings) on their default (assigned on Port 1)
    2) Changed 2nd joystick on usb prefs (devices/settings) on port 2 - note: on settings (axis/buttons) I only changed all from port 1 to port 2 details and didn't actually configured the stick
    3) Changed the uae config to joyport0:joy1 and joyport1:joy2

Shouldn't the above be sufficient? When launching the emulation both joysticks seem unresponsive. I also assigned each stick to both ports in uae config for testing purposes but that didn't work as well.

However if I leave everything on deafult (joyport0: mouse / joyport1:joy1) and usb/prefs with merged usb on same port for both sticks, the sticks work but control the same player :/

Individually the joystick/adapters combo works fine with other games I have tested, so it's something on the config.

Has anyone setup successfully a 2 player game on e-uae? How about especially swos? FWIW I am emulating swos 2020 v1.2 with extracted files on Ambient from the official hdf :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »20.06.20 - 09:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Minor update: By doing the below on the e-uae config:

joyport1=joy1 (<-joystick actually assigned on usb port 1)
    joyport0=joy2

I can get joy1 to play as 1 player and mouse (wtf ?) takes control of the 2nd player.

Below has the same up above result as well:

joyport1=joy1
    joyport2=joy2 (<-mouse again?)

Whereas the below config again doesn't work at all (including the mouse):

joyport0=joy1
    joyport1=joy2

At least it seems the game/emulation supports for sure 2 player mode and joyport1=joy1 actually works for 1up player.

What about the 2nd one though?

I hope it's something I am messing on the settings..

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 20.06.2020 - 12:27 ]
  • »20.06.20 - 09:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Got an enlightment: left one stick on default port / settings as Port 1 (mos usb settings) and changed only the second one to Port 0.

Then, edited uae conf file to joyport0=joy0 (instead of joy2 or 3) and joyport1=joy1 (<-since this used to work from above tests already) and now we have a 1vs1 setup match :)

Perhaps joy2 wasn't working because swos supports max 2 players mode and reads the ports incrementaly (only 0/1 valid and not 2/3)? Or is it a limitation of e-uae and doesn't trully supports more joy ports?

I will make more tests late tonight and report back what's happening with true multiplayer games like Bomberman and the likes since I have another 2 devices (TGS + adaptors) to test on 4-way games.

Hope someone finds useful the above so far :P
  • »20.06.20 - 11:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Alright, some new results:

e-uae must definetely be set to

joyport0=joy0
    joyport1=joy1

For 2 player games via joystick to be launched correctly.
    This implies that Joystick Port should be configured as Port 0 and Port 1 on usb MorphOS's Prefs.
    No other setting or combination has worked in any config or game that I tried (I am not counting games that can be played between joystick/mouse/keyboard. Just joystick vs joystick).

I think above info should be explicitely noted on MorphOS's Library Guide at the very end where it mentions e-uae.

Second thing, does actually e-uae supports more joyports than 0 and 1?

I can't get Dynablaster or OverTheTop to work on 3 or 4 way multiplayer, although I have setup correctly new joysticks on Port 2 and 3 on MorphOS's usb prefs (at least I get Atomic Bomberman to work but idk if it uses lowlevel lib).

Anyhow, I can't find anywhere this sort of info anywhere. Some hint or clarification would be much appreciated. Think that jPV tried in the past multiplayer on e-uae but didn't get far, if I remember correctly.

Hope there is a workaround on this. Now that we have dual displays, MorphOS counts as a tournament machine on Amiga parties :)

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 20.06.2020 - 22:31 ]
  • »20.06.20 - 19:27
    Profile Visit Website
    KennyR
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Second thing, does actually e-uae supports more joyports than 0 and 1?

As we found out in this older thread, the answer is: no.

It could, and it should, but it doesn't. It just doesn't pass the other buttons to lowlevel.library.
  • »20.06.20 - 19:35
    Cool_amigaN
    Well, that wasn't a lot of encouraging, was it :/

Do you think this can be fixed? Could we switch from lowlevel to sensors.lib perhaps? If so, whom should I ask for?
  • »24.06.20 - 08:59
    Profile Visit Website