OS4.1 and MorphOS on same drive on X5000?
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

That is more or less the key question here. Does MorphOS on X5000 need a boot partition with the boot.img or does/can that recide on the System partition. Anyone?

No, it does not. The boot.img is written to the root directory of the bootable System partition.

HDConfig/IWizard installs a second level bootloader dubbed "hyberbootloader" to the MorphOS drive. It is used/detected by X5000 UBoot and is required to load the boot.img found on the MorphOS system partition.
  • »03.04.20 - 08:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:
    Quote:

That is more or less the key question here. Does MorphOS on X5000 need a boot partition with the boot.img or does/can that recide on the System partition. Anyone?

No, it does not. The boot.img is written to the root directory of the bootable System partition.

HDConfig/IWizard installs a second level bootloader dubbed "hyberbootloader" to the MorphOS drive. It is used/detected by X5000 UBoot and is required to load the boot.img found on the MorphOS system partition.

Thank you for the reply :-)

So it should be possible/safe to install MorphOS to my SFS formatted DH2 partition on my primary OS4 drive as long as it is made bootable? In other words iWizard will install everything necessary to the same partition (in this case DH2).
  • »03.04.20 - 09:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The boot.img is written to the root directory of the bootable System partition.
    > HDConfig/IWizard installs a second level bootloader dubbed "hyberbootloader"
    > to the MorphOS drive. It is used/detected by X5000 UBoot and is required to
    > load the boot.img found on the MorphOS system partition.

Thanks for explaining the mechanism. So pre-3.10, when Hyperbootloader didn't support SFS yet (only FFS and ISO9660), Sam460 users had to have the MorphOS boot.img on a partition separate from the MorphOS system partition when they didn't want the latter on FFS?
  • »03.04.20 - 10:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

So it should be possible/safe to install MorphOS to my SFS formatted DH2 partition on my primary OS4 drive as long as it is made bootable? In other words iWizard will install everything necessary to the same partition (in this case DH2).

Yes, this should basically work. Starting with MorphOS 3.10, the supplied hyperbootloader supports both FFS and SFS formatted system partitions.
    Make sure that the OS4 system partition has a higher boot priority, though. Otherwise OS4 might try to boot from the MorphOS system partition instead.
  • »03.04.20 - 10:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    It works ....sort of!

The installer has copied everything to the DH2 partition as expected. Even the boot.img.

However, I have to have the CD in to get it to boot from DH2 (and pres 2 to get it to boot from DH2). It is like Uboot does not see the loader on DH2 partition but only on the CD but the loader on the CD sees and can boot from DH2 ....

Here is a video of boot without CD: No CD

And here with CD: With CD

I am running the latest Uboot from 2018.

Is there a way to edit the env in Uboot for MorphOS boot to point it to DH2?

And one final thing: is there a way to get MorphOS to read the NGFS filesystem?

[ Edited by JohnFante 04.04.2020 - 10:41 ]
  • »04.04.20 - 08:31
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

I am running the latest Uboot from 2018.

This sounds pretty much like it couldn't find the bootloader on the drive.
    Did you try to select booting MorphOS manually via the Boot MorphOS entry in the custom X5000 bootmenu ? You can access that via SPACE key afair.

Also, once booted into MorphOS - albeit via CD -, you could check via HDConfig if there is a bootloader on the drive. There is some popup menu if you press the button left to the drive string

which should have some "Edit Bootloader..." entry on X5000/Sam460 as seen in the picture above.

Quote:

Is there a way to edit the env in Uboot for MorphOS boot to point it to DH2?

Typically this should work automatically if it can find the bootloader on the drive. My guess is that something failed with the hyperbootloader.

Quote:

And one final thing: is there a way to get MorphOS to read the NGFS filesystem?

No, there is no way to read NGFS from within MorphOS as it is some proprietary OS4 filesystem afaict.
  • »04.04.20 - 09:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    Thank you!

Installing the hyberbootloader made the system boot from HD :-)

However, now OS4.1 will not load (hangs on the bootscreen) and I can not even use an install CD to check the OS4.1 installation. It just hangs at the bootscreen .... :-(

I have tried uninstalling the hyperbootloader to see if that unconfuses OS4.1 but to no success so far. It simply will not boot in any form. Both MorphOS and Linux boots fine.

OS4.1 has a higher bootnumber than MorphOS so it is not that.

Is there a way to uninstall the hyberbootloader effectively? I have tried doing the opposite of installing it but it simply will not go away. I would sure like to get to my OS4.1 data somehow.

I have ordered a new HD so that I can use seperate HD's for OS4.1, Linux and MorphOS. It seems like the safe way to go.

And last but not least. Thank you for all your help :-)

[ Edited by JohnFante 04.04.2020 - 19:08 ]
  • »04.04.20 - 15:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Installing the hyberbootloader made the system boot from HD :-)

However, now OS4.1 will not load (hangs on the bootscreen) and I can not even use an install CD to check the OS4.1 installation. It just hangs at the bootscreen .... :-(

Hangs at bootscreen means the early UBoot screen and not any OS4 specific one I guess ? Did you already try the UBoot menu which is accessed via SPACE key to select OS4 boot manually ?

Quote:

I have tried uninstalling the hyperbootloader to see if that unconfuses OS4.1 but to no success so far. It simply will not boot in any form. Both MorphOS and Linux boots fine.

OS4.1 has a higher bootnumber than MorphOS so it is not that.

If it already hangs within UBoot, it most likely isn't related to the boot partition priority. You can try to change the MorphOS partition to not bootable with HDConfig and check if that makes any difference for OS4 boot. You can modify it again by booting from a MorphOS CD later on.

Quote:

Is there a way to uninstall the hyberbootloader effectively? I have tried doing the opposite of installing it but it simply will not go away. I would sure like to get to my OS4.1 data somehow.

There is no easy way to uninstall the hyperbootloader but it is possible of course. Send me a PM and I can go into more detail.

Quote:

I have ordered a new HD so that I can use seperate HD's for OS4.1, Linux and MorphOS. It seems like the safe way to go.

That is probably the safest way to deal with it indeed.
  • »05.04.20 - 11:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JohnFante
    I moved the main HD to my SIL3114 card and took the linux-HD from there and put it into one of the main SATA-ports. Found out that the OS4.1 CD would not boot with no SATA HD's attached to the main SATA-ports.

With the old main HD on the SIL3114 the OS4.1 install CD boots all the way and I can see my partitions AND access the data :-)

When I tried using the HDtool in OS4.1 to check my normal main drive (with OS4.1 and MorphOS on DH2) it gave me en error saying that the drive had major errors that needed correcting (probably the hyberloader). I did that and rebooted but that did not make the OS4.1 partitions bootable when I moved it to the main SATA-ports. It just hangs on the OS4.1 boot screen.

I tried making the MorphOS partition nonbootable but that did not change anything. Still hangs on the OS4.1 boot screen.

Quote:

Hangs at bootscreen means the early UBoot screen and not any OS4 specific one I guess ? Did you already try the UBoot menu which is accessed via SPACE key to select OS4 boot manually ?

It hangs on OS4.1 bootlogo screen. No problems in Uboot :-). Sorry for not beeing completely clear on that.

Thank you very much for you offer to help me with removing the hyberbootloader but I think I will pass on that for now. I think the safe route is to get a new drive. Move my OS4.1 drive and then reinstall with a separate drive to each OS.

I will report my findings when I am done.
  • »05.04.20 - 12:47