New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    * It consumes less memory per same page but I see the hd sbar module getting crazy on read/writes. Is it possible to configure Wayfarer to dump everything on ram and not the hd as with OWB?

These are two main causes for the intensive HD writing:
    1) Disk cache (which saves page data to Wayfarer/Cache/Curl/), which can be disabled from the Settings (set it to 0MB).
    2) SQLite writes cookie database and local storage files, and their journal files, to the HD without any caching. OWB writes its cookie database only when quitting the browser, but Wayfarer does that immediately when pages update their cookies. Certain pages seem to update the cookies even once per second or so, which can cause several writes per second to the HD (first creating a journal file, then updating the actual file, then deleting the journal file, etc). I don't think there's any other solution than softlink the whole Wayfarer/Cache/ directory to somewhere in RAM: (MakeLink Cache T: or something like that). The downside is that pages don't remember your personal stuff then if you'd like that, and you also should disable the disk cache too, but I'm running the browser like this myself.

I would like to see separate options to disable cookie database saving and local storage from Wayfarer settings... users could select better what they want to be written to the HD then...

Quote:

* Is it possible to have a personal bar on gui (i.e. below address bar) where we can place the bookmarks?

I think you mean the Quick link buttons like in OWB. This should be on the jaca's todo-list.. I pressured him little regarding this ;) This feature still keeps me using OWB for "everyday" browsing, because I have important pages set in the Quick links bar, and it's really more efficient to have a quick look at frequently used pages by these buttons than try to find them from a pull-down menu or from a separate bookmarks list.

Quote:

* I imported my OWB bookmarks correctly, however bookmark folders which had sub folders don't display correctly when clicking on Bookmarks option

I guess you mean the Bookmarks menu? The pull-down menus in MorphOS (and Amiga?) are restricted to two levels, so only one sub menu will be shown and the rest are filtered. The only way to dig the deeper levels of bookmarks is to select the "Bookmarks -> Manage..." option and open them from the separate bookmarks tab then.
  • »06.10.20 - 11:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I fully understand your points and agree with them. Yet my feature request
    > seems small enough so I dared to state it. ;-) Of course no commitment nor
    > timeframe or not even an answer is necessary as it was no question.

And most notably, your feature request is extremely unlikely to delay the initial release of Wayfarer ;-)
  • »06.10.20 - 16:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    2) SQLite writes cookie database and local storage files, and their journal files,

Journal is actually off to reduce the writes, but I am not going to do anything else. This is deep in WebCore and changing how it works would have huge potential of breaking things. So: nope.

Quote:

I would like to see separate options to disable cookie database saving and local storage from Wayfarer settings... users could select better what they want to be written to the HD then...

Not everything is adjustable in WebCore, even if it was adjustable in Odyssey (many things that were in the BAL, which was the part that came from Orygin, was now moved into WebCore itself and as such, I consider it off-limits unless absolutely necessary).
  • »06.10.20 - 17:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Not everything is adjustable in WebCore, even if it was adjustable
    > in Odyssey (many things that were in the BAL, which was the part
    > that came from Orygin, was now moved into WebCore itself [...]).

Didn't OWB starting from the v1.14 release (which was the first release called "Odyssey" instead of "Origyn") lack the OWBAL?
  • »06.10.20 - 19:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Tested and some graphics are more defined than in OWB, mainly logos or small graphics.

Good work and thanks!
  • »06.10.20 - 19:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Didn't OWB starting from the v1.14 release (which was the first release called "Odyssey" instead of "Orygin") lack the OWBAL?

No. See here.
  • »06.10.20 - 19:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > No. See here.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Then it was just that the mention of the OWBAL was removed from the ReadMe of v1.14.
  • »06.10.20 - 21:39
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    @jPV

Many thanks for your help as always :)

Yeah, I can't stress enough the importance of Quick Links bar on OWB. It enables the user to browse more efficient. Now my Bookmark pull down menu is a mess and takes the whole screen height (1280 pixels) when clicked (opened). It's impossible to locate the links fast :/

I reduced the disk cache to zero and read/writes on hd was minimized as well, though not completely gone (perhaps due to the journal you mentioned). Now it consumes same memory (more or less) with latest OWB. If I redirect journal to RAM will the sites prompt me to accept cookies each time I visit them, over and over again?

Some further remarks:

* Was finding the scrolling (up and down) weird and it's because per each scroll it moves double the page compared to OWB. Basically, scrolling distance of OWB resembles a smooth scrolling effect. Hope this can either be adjusted by the user in the future or just default it to the OWB way

* Pls, pls, pls remove the frame of active website. Just copy the looks of OWB which expands the visible page to the whole window application horizontally and at the bottom. It looks anachronistic the way it is right now to put it mildly :D

* Made some more tests and the engine is not always faster on rendering sites, i.e the default MorphOS website loads faster on OWB. Will revert with additional notes.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »07.10.20 - 08:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > perhaps due to the journal you mentioned [...].
    > [...] If I redirect journal to RAM [...]

Journal is off according to comment #255.
  • »07.10.20 - 10:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    What is the way to modify the Tabs in Wayfarer so that the active Tab is sort of Beige/Cream in colour and the inactive one is another colour, such as pale blue or green.

I have this setup in OWB, but either I cannot remember what specific gadget I have to "tweak" to get it to do what I want, or Wayfarer is not responding as it should to MUI Settings.

I have tried to adjust the Group, Tab options, so that the Tab Container is the more yellow colour (does not seem to take effect), and the Title option is more Green or Blue (that part responds) and the inactive Tab is then Green/Blue, but I just cannot get the Active Tab to be a different colour than the default colour/grey textured/brushed metallic.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.10.20 - 14:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    pls remove the frame of active website

You can edit the frame in MUI Settings > Group > Tab Groups > Container.
  • »07.10.20 - 15:53
    Profile Visit Website
    Templario
    Well,I could use you browser with My PowerBook with 512MB and it works fine, I think that the browser uses more the hard disk like memmory cache.
  • »07.10.20 - 15:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Templario wrote:
    Well,I could use you browser with My PowerBook with 512MB and it works fine, I think that the browser uses more the hard disk like memmory cache.

Levels of caching depend on the amount of RAM you have.
  • »07.10.20 - 16:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

If I redirect journal to RAM will the sites prompt me to accept cookies each time I visit them, over and over again?

After each reboot, yes.
  • »07.10.20 - 16:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    One thing I should have mentioned earlier: please send bug reports and feature requests to wayfarer at wayfarer.icu. I do read forums, etc but the level of requests is too much for me to handle right now.
  • »07.10.20 - 16:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: You can edit the frame in MUI Settings > Group > Tab Groups > Container.

I think that response was intended for me (NewSense) and not Cool_amigaN - as I asked about the Tab settings.

However, I have gone back to MUI and those settings were some of the ones I tried, but it just doesn't seem to change the active Tab colour/image setting. I can see that it changes in the MUI window, either the Tab shows as the colour I want or I can add an image to the Tab, and that shows as well in the MUI gadgets and GUI windows, but it just doesn't transfer to the Tab itself, even if I '"Use" it or "Save" it.

When I go back to the Settings it still shows what I "Use"d or "Save"d but it just doesn't take effect on the Tab itself.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.10.20 - 16:39
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    2) SQLite writes cookie database and local storage files, and their journal files,

Journal is actually off to reduce the writes, but I am not going to do anything else.

Hmm.. but I still get my .recycled filled with .journal files, which aren't left into actual dirs...
  • »07.10.20 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: You can edit the frame in MUI Settings > Group > Tab Groups > Container.

I think that response was intended for me (NewSense) and not Cool_amigaN - as I asked about the Tab settings.

However, I have gone back to MUI and those settings were some of the ones I tried, but it just doesn't seem to change the active Tab colour/image setting. I can see that it changes in the MUI window, either the Tab shows as the colour I want or I can add an image to the Tab, and that shows as well in the MUI gadgets and GUI windows, but it just doesn't transfer to the Tab itself, even if I '"Use" it or "Save" it.

When I go back to the Settings it still shows what I "Use"d or "Save"d but it just doesn't take effect on the Tab itself.

I also wanted the active tab to look different, but I couldn't achived it.

The only thing I managed is to let the other (inactive) tabs look different.

@jaca
    One other tab-specific feature I miss from owb would be to open new background tabs (which I open from a link in the current/active tab) AFTER the current/active not at the end.
  • »07.10.20 - 17:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

igracki wrote: I also wanted the active tab to look different, but I couldn't achived it.

The only thing I managed is to let the other (inactive) tabs look different.

That's just/only what I managed - the inactive Tabs highlighted, but the active Tabs remained unaltered, will not change, even when changing what should affect them for that to happen. In fact I am glad someone else is reporting this issue as it seems it is an issue that needs fixing (bug) that needs more investigation, so thanks Thomas (Igracki)
    Quote:

igracki wrote: @ jaca - One other tab-specific feature I miss from owb would be to open new background tabs (which I open from a link in the current/active tab) AFTER the current/active not at the end.

Obviously this is another feature that I too would like to have, but I am sure there is a loooooong list for jacadcaps to be getting on with, never mind all the other things that he is already doing. 8-)
  • »07.10.20 - 18:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> pls remove the frame of active website

>> You can edit the frame in MUI Settings > Group > Tab Groups > Container.

> I think that response was intended for me (NewSense) and not
    > Cool_amigaN - as I asked about the Tab settings.

As far as I can see, what was replied to was indeed written by Cool_amigaN in comment #260.
  • »07.10.20 - 22:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Version 1.1 is now up on the website.

Changes:
    Implemented Search Engines settings UI
    Implemented a 'Do not ask to save passwords' setting
    Space+Shift does reverse scroll now
    Updated to latest OpenSSL and nghttp2
    Fixed handling of IDN/Unicode chars typed into the URL bar
    Fixed loading of files from the Curl cache, which in some cases resulted in images failing to decode (or decode as text)
    Fixed SCREENTOFRONT
    Fixed the default CSS file load path (caused default radios and checkmarks to be missing on some sites)
    Fixed an issue with sticky border scrollers
    Fixed not to leak the volume name when uploading files straight from the volume root path
    Implemented workarounds for OpenURL callers that don't pass correctly escaped URIs (like YAM)
    Updated the OWB importer
  • »09.10.20 - 17:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    You're a STAR,and we are very lucky to have you doing this tricky development - many thanks. You don't disappoint. 8-D
  • »09.10.20 - 17:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Awesome, might be imagination it, but scrolling seems faster?

Great job jacadcaps!
  • »09.10.20 - 18:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    One request from me:

Is it possible to have a network windows like OWB. Reason is that I used OWB and then Tonvid to get path of YouTube file and then stream it via MPlayer.

This will obviously be after we get Video in Wayfarer
  • »09.10.20 - 18:24
    Cool_amigaN
    Testing version 1.1: Tried to download this file from eab ftp search site. Wayfarer failed, since download doesn't seem to start (it is mentioned on the download tab though). OWB 1.26 succeeded however.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »09.10.20 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website