How to run MorphOS on unsupported G5 PCIe
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    If so, I stand corrected. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »18.04.20 - 09:58
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Tested some more PCIe cards on my G5:

abit AirPace AW-GE870 PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter (Atheros Chipset) ... WORKING
    TP-LINK TG-3468 Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter (Realtek Chipset) ... WORKING
    Sapphire Radeon HD6570 Ultimate (single slot, passive cooling) ... FAILS (black screen, MorphOS does not start)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »08.11.20 - 12:54
    Cego
    i have installed MorphOS on an 20" iSight iMac G5. The system will boot up, but the morphos partition wont show up in the boot menu and after initial startup it wont directly boot into morphos. instead it'll show the mac folder/questionmark as if it wont find a bootable partition. It'll disappear after 10-15 seconds and start booting morphos.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »01.02.21 - 21:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    i have installed MorphOS on an 20" iSight iMac G5. The system will boot up, but the morphos partition wont show up in the boot menu and after initial startup it wont directly boot into morphos. instead it'll show the mac folder/questionmark as if it wont find a bootable partition. It'll disappear after 10-15 seconds and start booting morphos.

Try resetting the PRAM ( at least 3 bongs before releasing the keys ). It should do the trick.
  • »02.02.21 - 04:43
    Cego
    I figured it out. Had to change boot-device and boot-command in OF. But resetting the PRAM would have probably helped too.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »02.02.21 - 08:20
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    At the risk of taking this thread further off topic, my damned G5 quad has started to overheat.
    I don't see a lot of dust buildup on the radiators and the fans are all working.

How difficult is it to remove the LCS and the CPUs to check on their condition and the thermal paste.
    And what if I take this apart, put it back together, and I still have the problem?

Additionally, should I try to rebuild the LCS system?

Edit: Everything I find online recommends replacing the CPUs and LCS, I can't see why this can't be serviced.

Again, sorry to take this thread further off course.

[ Edited by Jim 03.02.2021 - 17:24 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »03.02.21 - 19:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    At the risk of taking this thread further off topic, my damned G5 quad has started to overheat.
    I don't see a lot of dust buildup on the radiators and the fans are all working.

How difficult is it to remove the LCS and the CPUs to check on their condition and the thermal paste.
    And what if I take this apart, put it back together, and I still have the problem?

Additionally, should I try to rebuild the LCS system?

I remember well when I got my LCS G5 (the DP 2,7 GHz) some (7?) years ago. When I pulled out the liquid cooling system and looked inside the tubes I found out they were completely clogged with some white residue (and the O-Rings were leaking too). Go figure: pages 26-32 (Polish language only, sorry). The PCIe G5 LCS is not identical (2 pumps and slightly different mounting) but the idea is the same. I'd certainly go for the rebuilding if I were you.
  • »04.02.21 - 05:36
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @ Koszer: It looks complicated. I'll need some long handled Allen wrenches, and I am not sure where to source the o-rings, other needed components, or even what coolant to use.
    Any advice?

Edit: Neat article. If it can be downloaded, it might be translatable.

[ Edited by Jim 04.02.2021 - 01:55 ]
  • »04.02.21 - 06:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    @ Koszer: It looks complicated. I'll need some long handled Allen wrenches, and I am not sure where to source the o-rings, other needed components, or even what coolant to use.
    Any advice?

Edit: Neat article. If it can be downloaded, it might be translatable.

The coolant is a mix of ethylene glycol and water (50/50). I got my o-rings in some local bearing store. Of course most probably you'll need the tubing and clamps as well. But I guess it's not that complicated, just time consuming. And after you open the LCS up you'll probably not regret that you decided to service it.

There you go, already translated the article for you. The translation is not perfect (and is missing the photos - I'll try to add them as soon as I find them), but it should do.
  • »04.02.21 - 08:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    How can I tell which G5 iMac is the right one to buy on eBay?
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »04.02.21 - 22:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    It's 20" and has a camera above the display. Oh and a G5 CPU :) The G5 has different ports than the Intel 20" that succeeds it - G5 has a mini-VGA port, Intel has mini-DVI.
  • »04.02.21 - 23:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

koszer wrote:

The coolant is a mix of ethylene glycol and water (50/50). I got my o-rings in some local bearing store. Of course most probably you'll need the tubing and clamps as well. But I guess it's not that complicated, just time consuming. And after you open the LCS up you'll probably not regret that you decided to service it.

There you go, already translated the article for you. The translation is not perfect (and is missing the photos - I'll try to add them as soon as I find them), but it should do.

It gives me an idea what I'm up against, cool.
    I'll dig up 2 #27 o-rings and some decent thermal paste. Not sure I shouldn't go with the Delco coolant though. I haven't looked, but I assume I'm dealing with a two pump Delco unit.
    And I'm going to need a few tools.

Well, thanks again for the encouragement.
  • »05.02.21 - 00:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Not sure I shouldn't go with the Delco coolant though.

the safety information document for G5 Quad says the liquid is either:

DI WATER >80%
    PROPYLENE GLYCOL 15%

(for the green one)

or

DI Water >85%
    Corrosion inhibitor package
    Dye

(for the red one)
  • »06.02.21 - 07:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    It gives me an idea what I'm up against, cool.
    I'll dig up 2 #27 o-rings and some decent thermal paste. Not sure I shouldn't go with the Delco coolant though. I haven't looked, but I assume I'm dealing with a two pump Delco unit.
    And I'm going to need a few tools.

Well, thanks again for the encouragement.

Let me know where you source the tools and other parts needed Jim. I can probably find the long handle allen or torx wrench, but want to make sure I get the right size "O" rings. I need to rebuild the coolant system on my dual 2.7GHz G5 and sell it, if I'm not going to keep it as a backup system. I believe Doffo already rebuilt the LCS on my quad G5. I also still have a DP 2.5GHz G5 system, which has a motherboard that can only run one of the two G5's, that I could rebuild the LCS and donate to anyone wanting it to run MorphOS. Shipping would be prohibitive though, so it would have to be local pick up only.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.02.21 - 04:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Hi, I bought a PowerMac 11.2 PCIe with 2.3Ghz, because my old PowerMac G5 DualProcessor with 2.3Ghz and AGP port almost died.
    One CPU died already last year and I used it with one CPU with no problems. But since some time it only boots up occasionally. So I think the second CPU also died.

There was a Nvidida gfx installed so I bought a Radeon x1900gt from ebay.
    It says X1900xt, but on the card is a sticker with x1900gt.

My problem is now there is a loose cable from the fan, I don't know where do I have to connect it to??

There are 3 pins on the card, which would fit the cable, is this the right connection?

And I need an extra 6pin to 8pin power cable (ebay), right? Which I have to buy yet.

Where do I have to connect this cable?

Thanks in advance!
  • »03.08.21 - 19:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    My problem is now there is a loose cable from the fan, I don't know where do I have to connect it to??

There are 3 pins on the card, which would fit the cable, is this the right connection?

I believe so, but a photo would help.

Quote:

And I need an extra 6pin to 8pin power cable (...), right? Which I have to buy yet.

Where do I have to connect this cable?

Most likely here.
  • »04.08.21 - 10:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Hello guys! I'm about to replace the LCS in my G5 2.7Ghz with air cooling. And wonder if it would be better to switch to the G5 Quad and if the G5 Quad is faster then my machine?
    Or is it slower because off the lower clock of just 2.5Ghz?
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »04.11.21 - 08:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    MorphOS can only use one processor. So in theory it should actually be slower for you.
    Running Linux or MacOS should yield better performance for multi processor aware tasks.
  • »04.11.21 - 09:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> my G5 2.7Ghz [...]. [...] the G5 Quad is faster then my machine?

> MorphOS can only use one processor. So in theory it should
    > actually be slower for you.

True for CPU-bound tasks. It may be the other way round for tasks requiring memory bandwidth (DDR2 vs. DDR1) and/or graphics bandwidth (PCIe vs. AGP). See benchmark results there (lower = better):

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12888&forum=11&start=9
  • »04.11.21 - 10:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Fair point @Andreas_Wolf
  • »04.11.21 - 10:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Quote:

MoerBoer schrieb:
    MorphOS can only use one processor. So in theory it should actually be slower for you.
    Running Linux or MacOS should yield better performance for multi processor aware tasks.

Yes i know that. But how compares the Quad 2.5 vs the 2.7 in Wayfarer or with video playback in 720p or 1080p?
    And is it possibe to get an GFX Card for the Quad that has 3D Drivers and has HDMI or Displayport? With supported UWQHD resolution with 3440x1440?
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »04.11.21 - 15:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > how compares the Quad 2.5 vs the 2.7 [...] with video playback in [...] 1080p?

See link in comment #145.
  • »04.11.21 - 16:01
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    eastone
    For test, I installed MOS 3.16 on PM G5 with ATI X1900GT
    But during/after installation the graphics slow down more than in the demo version and some artifacts appear.
    Version 3.15 behaves the same way.
    So, no Morphos on G5 for me yet :(

Debuglog:

50.798| smu_init: found keylargo base at 0xd7f37000
    50.798| smu_setup_timer: timer UNIT_MICROHZ opened
    50.798| smu_init: smucmdbuff allocated at 0x1400f600
    50.798| smu_init: smucmdbuff_phys is 0x1400f600
    50.798| smu_init: SMU core int installed
    50.798| smu_init: SMU doorbell int installed
    50.798| smu_init: pgmswitch int installed
    50.798| smu_intcode3: programmers switch (ResBase 0x14014900)
    50.798| smu_intcode2: doorbell (ResBase 0x14014900)
    50.798| smu_intcode1: core (ResBase 0x14014900)
    52.551| Radeon: Don't know how to initialise the memory controller of this Radeon
    52.551| Radeon: Memory size adjusted to 128MB
  • »12.03.22 - 10:35