Tabor vs G5
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Oh, and one more thing - not that it really matters, but the display resolution I've achieved is 1920x1200, not 1080.
  • »10.09.19 - 17:20
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Again thanks to everyone. I am so sorry about keeping mixing up the names.. I have a G4 Mac Laptop, 17in. It is now running MorphOS 3.11. I am in the process of relearning how to use it. It is fast. :) I do keep having it just "lock up" I don't know how else to describe it. I will be using it and suddenly the desktop will stop responding to input. I will not be able to move a window, click a button or anything. However what ever program was in focus at that time will keep going. When this happens to me, I have to hard boot to get out of it as I can't get to the normal shutdown. I do not know why. I have not installed but few things other than the base install. It also is happening on an other G4 laptop that I have.. So, I do not think it is the hardware per say. I am investigating, before I buy a license.
  • »11.09.19 - 14:21
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Did you happen to hit the time limit of the free installation? Because that are the symptoms you are describing. If so, you just have to license it.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »11.09.19 - 14:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Well that would pop up a requester stating just that.....
  • »11.09.19 - 14:47
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    No it isn't the timeout. It can happen only a couple of min after booting. I have seen the popup so I know the difference. And when I say it stops responding, I don't mean slowing down. I will be going along and all is good then it will just stop suddenly. When the popup comes up things get slow but I can at least shutdown. I am trying to figure out if I can recreate the issue but I can't seem to find that cause.

Thanks for the link with the debug info. The next time it happens I will take a look and see what I can find.

[ Edited by DFergFLA 11.09.2019 - 14:52 ]
  • »11.09.19 - 18:51
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    Thanks for the link with the debug info. The next time it happens I will take a look and see what I can find.

It's better to check it occasionally in normal use too, before the system goes totally broken. Usually there's some indication earlier if some program misbehaves.
  • »12.09.19 - 05:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    The first (and the simplest) thing to do is to run memtest. Get into shell and type:

Code:
    memtest extensive
  • »12.09.19 - 07:58
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Thanks everyone. So... last night I managed to finish up setting SongPlayer as my default.. now the GUI comes up and the music isn't some disembodied sound.. :) And.... no lock ups... Thanks for all the helpful information. I will keep it all in mind. I am now looking for a good image viewer. Native preferable. Also, are there any native video players? I am using MPlayer and it works fine, but when it starts it might as well launch fireworks that spell out... "I'm not a native program!"
  • »12.09.19 - 12:38
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    I am now looking for a good image viewer. Native preferable.

ShowCase is a really good program to view (and also process) images. It comes with the default MorphOS installation (in Applications dir)

Quote:

Also, are there any native video players? I am using MPlayer and it works fine, but when it starts it might as well launch fireworks that spell out... "I'm not a native program!"

Hmm? It's a native port and incorporates very native looking MUI GUI... it's the best we have and I don't see anything wrong with it. Here are few tips to configure it: Configuring MPlayer
  • »12.09.19 - 13:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I am now looking for a good image viewer. Native preferable.

https://library.morph.zone/Applications/ShowCase, it couldn't get more native ;-)

> are there any native video players? I am using MPlayer and it
    > works fine, but when it starts it might as well launch fireworks
    > that spell out... "I'm not a native program!"

There's an ancient VLC port and an old FFplay port but they have no advantage over MPlayer. And yes, MPlayer is also a port, but what's not "native" about it, especially in GUI mode?

Edit: reloading the page before hitting "Reply" would have let me see jPV's reply and saved me from typing this drivel ;-)
  • »12.09.19 - 13:43
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @Andreas_Wolf

It's ok dude. I'm a little dense sometimes. So, telling me twice will help it sink in.

:)
  • »12.09.19 - 13:59