Searching for the Amiga spirit ;) / New to MorphOS
  • Just looking around
    snurf_T
    Hi there,

I bought a Mac Mini PPC G4 with 1 GB of RAM for running MorphOS on it. The installation went fine and MorphOS works like a charm :). Only trouble: when I connect the Mac Mini to a monitor via DVI the picture disappears after a very short while. Maybe a minute or so. When connected via a DVI-to-VGA adapter everything seems to be just fine. Has anyone experienced similar difficulties? Does this sound like a hardware defect in the Mac Mini? - I have no experiences with Macs whatsoever.

Oh, here just a little info about me. I was born in 1974, live in Germany near Bielefeld and had several Amigas in the past. I only kept a CDTV when I got frustrated with the situation back then.
    Well, I kind of followed the news / forums around the Amiga every now and then which lead me back to checking out some Amiga-like systems. :) - I am running AROS on an Intel Atom, MorphOS (obviously ;)) and gave my CDTV some love (bought a WicherCDTV for it :)).

Alrighty then, off into the adventure...

Cheers.

[ Editiert durch snurf_T 31.08.2019 - 21:27 ]
  • »31.08.19 - 19:26
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    You are welcome!
    What happens if you boot another OS?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »31.08.19 - 21:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Does the MorphOS CD display stay visible (icons/backdrop/menus/GUIs) while you do the installation, as it's possible you may have some other issue, but let's start at the very beginning ... a very good place to start, and welcome to the littleist/greatest little OS there is - IMHO. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »31.08.19 - 23:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

snurf_T schrieb:
    Hi there,

I bought a Mac Mini PPC G4 with 1 GB of RAM for running MorphOS on it. The installation went fine and MorphOS works like a charm :). Only trouble: when I connect the Mac Mini to a monitor via DVI the picture disappears after a very short while. Maybe a minute or so. When connected via a DVI-to-VGA adapter everything seems to be just fine. Has anyone experienced similar difficulties? Does this sound like a hardware defect in the Mac Mini? - I have no experiences with Macs whatsoever.

Oh, here just a little info about me. I was born in 1974, live in Germany near Bielefeld and had several Amigas in the past. I only kept a CDTV when I got frustrated with the situation back then.
    Well, I kind of followed the news / forums around the Amiga every now and then which lead me back to checking out some Amiga-like systems. :) - I am running AROS on an Intel Atom, MorphOS (obviously ;)) and gave my CDTV some love (bought a WicherCDTV for it :)).

Alrighty then, off into the adventure...

Cheers.

Is it a Mac mini 1.5 GHz/64MiB VRAM or another model? Which resolution do you run. IIRC DVi on some Mac minis may have issues with high resolutions. Try with lower resolution and/or lower refresh rate.

Greetings from your neighbourhood (GT).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »01.09.19 - 09:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

snurf_T wrote:

Maybe it's related to this: Blackouts_or_Graphical_Flickering_on_Mac_mini

It's a common problem with Mac minis, especially pre 1.5GHz models. And it may depend of the monitor in use. Lowering pixel clock from the Monitors prefs may help.
  • »01.09.19 - 12:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    snurf_T
    Hello! :)

Thanks for all the replies! That's great! :)

Here a quick answer (I am short on time right now and will do further research soon :))

@polluks
    If I remember correctly I booted MacOS once and everything was alright then. I was so eager to install MorphOS and get rid of MacOS that I forgot to turn off that annoying start-chime of ;).

@NewSense
    During the installation there was no problem. Everything stayed visible. - I have to admit, I think, the Mac Mini was connected to a different monitor during installation.
    @Zylesea
    It is a Mac Mini 1,25 GHz with an ATI Radeon 9200. I'll check how much VRAM there is if that info is not sufficient. I'll also check the resolution as soon as I am back to the Mac Mini (since I am away from there right now). - So: I'll be back! ;)
    And a big hello from DT to GT! - It's great that there are MorphOS users around here! :)

@jPV
    As soon as there is time, I will check out the monitor I used during installation again (see above). That sounds like a reasonable idea! :) I'll also look into the pixel clock thingy.
    Thanks for the link! I'll check that out as well.

I must say, right now I am really impressed with MorphOS! Quick, efficient, beautiful and fun! :)

So long. Cheers.
  • »01.09.19 - 19:19
    Kronos
    Well if it is a 1.25GHz it will only have 32MB VRAM as only the 1.5GHz models (still labeledc as 1.42GZ, hence silent upgrade) have 64MB.

If you go to FullHD or even 1920x1200 your pushing the limits of what single-link DVI can do and the Minis are known to be somewhat picky at that end.

There might also be a broken DDC issue on the end of the "new" monitor in which case MorphOS might have used incorrect timings left over from the installation. "sys:Prefs/Presets/Monitors/" should contain a file for both monitors, deleting them should force everything back to default.

As a last resort you can use Preferences->System->Monitors to manually edit timimgs.

Achja....

Grüsse in die alte Heimat ;)
  • »01.09.19 - 20:08
  • Just looking around
    snurf_T
    Wow! I hooked up the Mac Mini to the monitor I used for the insallation and... voilà it works! The resolution is 1680 x 1050.

@Kronos
    Next thing I will try, is to delete those monitor files (found them) and check that out with the other monitor (just out of curiosity).

Anyway, you can consider the problem solved! Fantastic! Thanks so much guys! :)

The adventure goes on....

Cheers
  • »02.09.19 - 17:06