MorphOS 3.12
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    That certainly does not sound normal. Care to share more details?

I'm a new user, so still getting familiar. The crashs and lockups are too numerous to list right now - once I get everything installed I want to work with I'll make a note and either submit reports and/or post here. From memory I experienced hard crashes deleting screengrab pngs, in OWB the Youtube fullscreen option sometimes stops working until I relaunch the browser, bookmarking a youtube page doesn't work (bookmarks the main page instead.)
  • »07.10.19 - 15:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Maybe an obvious question, but - did you check if RAM is OK?
  • »07.10.19 - 16:03
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Maybe an obvious question, but - did you check if RAM is OK?

There's always that possibility - this isn't the best condition Powerbook I've had, however, it ran fine under OSX.
  • »07.10.19 - 16:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Dronecatcher wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    That certainly does not sound normal. Care to share more details?

I'm a new user, so still getting familiar. The crashs and lockups are too numerous to list right now - once I get everything installed I want to work with I'll make a note and either submit reports and/or post here. From memory I experienced hard crashes deleting screengrab pngs, in OWB the Youtube fullscreen option sometimes stops working until I relaunch the browser, bookmarking a youtube page doesn't work (bookmarks the main page instead.)

No, I have not had any lockups or hard crashes with my PowerBook, and it always ran very stable in the past with other versions of MorphOS. Is this a clean install of MorphOS, or have you added third party software and utilities to it? The Chrysalis Pack, although being wonderful in the amount of content it installs, and how it tries to set many things up for the new users, has had a few problems in the past, which can negatively impact how MorphOS behaves. Also, is your installation brand new, or did you update an earlier version of MorphOS to get up to version 3.12, and if you did update an earlier version, did you experience any of these lockups, or other problems before the update?

Edit: I'm not trying to say that there are never any bugs in new releases of MorphOS, but when a user reports that there are too many crashes and lockups to count, or list, that does not sound typical of most other users. Being a new user, you probably try to do things differently than more experienced MorphOS users, and no doubt OWB still has many limitations compared to other web browsers, but it is the best we have, so most MorphOS users accept the limitations, and try to find ways around them to make their web browsing experience as painless as possible.

[ Edited by amigadave 07.10.2019 - 10:18 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.10.19 - 18:13
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

Is this a clean install of MorphOS, or have you added third party software and utilities to it?

This is a clean install, it was previously running OSX Leopard. I've tried earlier versions on other machines and only very rarely had lockups - I guess this might be a hardware issue, though as I said, OSX behaved fine on it. If it persists, I'll try reinstalling, otherwise wait for another Powerbook.
  • »07.10.19 - 18:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Dronecatcher wrote:
    Quote:

Is this a clean install of MorphOS, or have you added third party software and utilities to it?

This is a clean install, it was previously running OSX Leopard. I've tried earlier versions on other machines and only very rarely had lockups - I guess this might be a hardware issue, though as I said, OSX behaved fine on it. If it persists, I'll try reinstalling, otherwise wait for another Powerbook.

What version of PowerBook did you say you have? And what amount of RAM in installed into it? All versions of the Aluminum PowerBook are supported (I think), but some might be supported better than others. I'm hoping that your problems are just caused by some corrupted file during installation, but can't really guess what the cause is. Having more details about your system, and specifics about when and how your system crashes, might help other here to give you suggestions on what might be causing the problems. If the problems also show up on other similar hardware as yours, then a formal bug report should be filed with the Dev. Team.
  • »07.10.19 - 19:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > All versions of the Aluminum PowerBook are supported (I think)

Not quite :-)
  • »07.10.19 - 19:19
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

What version of PowerBook did you say you have? And what amount of RAM in installed into it?

It's the last model, 1.67Ghz 15" DLSD with 1 Gb RAM.
  • »07.10.19 - 19:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I've the same modell and it's supported very well - it runs very stable! Try to boot from CD and check if this problems occurs again.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »07.10.19 - 19:24
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    I've the same modell and it's supported very well - it runs very stable! Try to boot from CD and check if this problems occurs again.

The optical drive is non functional, and booting from my Firewire CD/DVD isn't supported. I'll create another USB installer again later and try that.
  • »07.10.19 - 19:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    For youtube i recommend to use invidious a great frontend , you can locale it in any languages.
    You can show youtube vids or download them in the quality you want and it's adds free.

https://invidio.us/

The quality can be set in parameters but if old vids are availaible in small quality most of the new vids are in 720p mini so don't expect to show them properly if you have a slow machine.

Regards
  • »07.10.19 - 20:51
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

acepeg wrote:
    For youtube i recommend to use invidious a great frontend , you can locale it in any languages.
    You can show youtube vids or download them in the quality you want and it's adds free.

https://invidio.us/

The quality can be set in parameters but if old vids are availaible in small quality most of the new vids are in 720p mini so don't expect to show them properly if you have a slow machine.

Regards

Great suggestion - thanks!

One of the great things with MorphOS and OWB is the Youtube fullscreen script - it plays 360P video at under 40% CPU - much better than OSX or Linux.
  • »07.10.19 - 21:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Dronecatcher wrote:
    One of the great things with MorphOS and OWB is the Youtube fullscreen script - it plays 360P video at under 40% CPU - much better than OSX or Linux.

Just a tip - if you want to watch youtube fullscreen on older machines under Linux, try SMPlayer with SMTube, which is a very similar premise. The difference is absolutely amazing compared to trying to watch it embedded in a browser. I can watch 720p on a 2008 Atom netbook just fine on Linux, whereas it was struggling even to play 360p in Chromium or Firefox.
  • »07.10.19 - 22:20
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

Just a tip - if you want to watch youtube fullscreen on older machines under Linux, try SMPlayer with SMTube, which is a very similar premise. The difference is absolutely amazing compared to trying to watch it embedded in a browser. I can watch 720p on a 2008 Atom netbook just fine on Linux, whereas it was struggling even to play 360p in Chromium or Firefox.

Yes, I use it on OSX too - it's a great solution for PowerPC Macs.
  • »07.10.19 - 22:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Under MOS you may use this package: http://igracki.square7.ch/download.php?file=yt_v15.lha
    It uses MPlayer play YT Videos and gives you resolutionchoise at start. Runs much better then in OWB.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »08.10.19 - 08:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > http://igracki.square7.ch/download.php?file=yt_v15.lha

There are more recent versions, the most recent being yt_v20 from 3 months ago. Or is there a specific reason to use v15, seeing as you reported v20 as non-working a month ago?
  • »08.10.19 - 14:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Finally found the correct keyfile for my G4 PowerBook, so I can check out this 3.12 version of MorphOS for more than 30 minutes at a time. In searching for my keyfile, I realised how difficult it is to keep track of which one is for which computer, for people like me who have more than one registered MorphOS system. All the emails that contain the keyfiles are identicle and every keyfile is named exactly the same, so I'll have to do a better job of placing each one inside a folder for each system to keep them identified.

I'm liking 3.12 so far, and can't wait to use it more and prepare for the 2019 AmiWest Show. Now if I can only remember where I packed the huge MorphOS banner?
  • »08.10.19 - 18:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > http://igracki.square7.ch/download.php?file=yt_v15.lha

There are more recent versions, the most recent being yt_v20 from 3 months ago. Or is there a specific reason to use v15, seeing as you reported v20 as non-working a month ago?

Oh, took the wrong link. This one is OK: http://igracki.square7.ch/download.php?file=yt_v20.lha
    There are only some videos, which are blocked by advertisement here in Austria - they won't run. For these it's better to use Invidious ( https://www.invidio.us/ ).
  • »09.10.19 - 08:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> yt_v20

> Oh, took the wrong link. This one is OK:
    > http://igracki.square7.ch/download.php?file=yt_v20.lha

...but still worse than mine, which is clickable ;-)
  • »09.10.19 - 17:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Welcome from the 2019 AmiWest Show! I'm posting this message from my 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook, with a 2nd monitor connected to the DVi output via a DVi to HDMI adapter, connected to a 37" 720p LCD TV. The TV display is working, but the laptop display is scrambled, even after adjusting the screen prefs to use the native 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Unfortunately, I did not have time to test dual monitor display before coming to the show.
  • »26.10.19 - 20:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    How about VRAM? Tried unchecking the enhanced display?
  • »26.10.19 - 21:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    How about VRAM? Tried unchecking the enhanced display?

I've got 128mb VRAM, and reduced the color depth to 16bit for both screens, so I doubt that I am running out of video memory, but I'll try turning off the enhanced display to see if it helps.

Edit: Can I use two different screen resolution sizes for the different displays?

[ Edited by amigadave 26.10.2019 - 13:45 ]
  • »26.10.19 - 21:44
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Can I use two different screen resolution sizes for the different displays?

You can. Please consider asking via IRC on #morphos for more timely instructions but note that it is quite late in Europe already.

Also, if you have access to an external keyboard and mouse, you could just close the lid before MorphOS shows its boot logo. This way, your Powerbook will work just like a desktop computer.
  • »26.10.19 - 22:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

Can I use two different screen resolution sizes for the different displays?

You can. Please consider asking via IRC on #morphos for more timely instructions but note that it is quite late in Europe already.

Also, if you have access to an external keyboard and mouse, you could just close the lid before MorphOS shows its boot logo. This way, your Powerbook will work just like a desktop computer.

I know it is too late to get a reply today, but I'm hoping that someone will reply to this question while I am sleeping, and I'll find my answers when I wake up. I want to demonstrate the new ability to display two screens at the same time, with different content, and at different resolutions, from my PowerBook, as I think that being able to work from two screens is very useful. I can't imagine going back to using only one display on my Windows desktop, which is why I want to show this working on my MorphOS system. I think others at the show will also find it useful. I doubt that I will be able to get on IRC to ask questions, but maybe I will try tomorrow, before it gets too late in Europe.
  • »26.10.19 - 23:56
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Welcome from the 2019 AmiWest Show! I'm posting this message from my 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook, with a 2nd monitor connected to the DVi output via a DVi to HDMI adapter, connected to a 37" 720p LCD TV. The TV display is working, but the laptop display is scrambled, even after adjusting the screen prefs to use the native 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Do you mean that you got 1680x1050 on the external display? I guess that you are thinking it wrong way how this should work. The display isn't mirrored or desktop "extended" or anything like that, but you just work with normal Amiga style screens here. Certain screenmodes are just shown on the internal display and certain on the external. So, you have to have at least two screens open to have a display on both monitors. In the initial situation you only have one screen set/open and other is scrambled because it isn't set in use (I don't know if developers could make it blank or something, but in the current version it's just scrambled).

So, if you take a closer look at the screen mode list, for example, in MorphOS Preferences -> Screens -> Ambient (or any other screen), you can see there are screenmodes starting with "Radeon9700Mob" and "Radeon9700Mob.1". "Radeon9700Mob" modes are for the internal display and modes ending to ".1" are for the external display.

You could do like this, for instance:

1) Edit the Ambient screen to open to "Radeon9700Mob 24bit 1680 x 1050" to get Ambient displayed on the PowerBook's internal display.
    2) Create a new screen and set it to use a "Radeon9700Mob.1" mode that matches native resolution of your external TV. You can name the screen as "Extrenal" or something like that if you want a generic screen that can contain several programs.
    3) Set any MUI program you want to use the external screen by using program's MUI settings, or by sending it to the external screen temporarily by using the "Jump to Screen" option from the window popup menu button. If you don't have that button, enable it from the global MUI preferences (Windows -> Titlebar has a ... popup button).
    4) Swap between the screens by the screen depth gadget or the command-m shortcut to get the mouse pointer to the wanted screen.

Here's a tutorial how to make OWB to use its own screen, you can look at it as an example how to set a program to a different screen. Just remember to select a mode ending to ".1" in this case. Making OWB to Use Its Own Screen

[ Edited by jPV 27.10.2019 - 08:59 ]
  • »27.10.19 - 07:49
    Profile Visit Website