How to convert BIN to ISO?
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    I have a CD image of 600+ MB and it is in BIN with it's cue. How do I convert that to ISO in MorphOS or is there any application for MorphOS that mounts BIN files?

Thanks in advance.
  • »24.03.19 - 22:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Wouldn't that work?
  • »24.03.19 - 22:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Remember though, often the reason that CDs were ripped as bin/cue is to keep any all the tracks - most commonly the CDDA track. If they are present they will be lost on conversion to ISO.
  • »28.03.19 - 23:40
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Do you think in 3.12 version of MorphOS it will support mounting .bin file images like .ISO so I wouldn't need to convert from bin to ISO?
  • »29.03.19 - 17:00
    KennyR
    If it's a simple CD with a single track, it might actually be possible to rename the .bin file as an .iso file and try mounting it that way.
  • »29.03.19 - 20:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Indeed rename it to .iso
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »30.03.19 - 13:11
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    So what I am understanding that...you would rather have me rename it to ISO instead of integrating a feature that also allows mounting bin cd image or have a written third party program to do the job?:
  • »01.04.19 - 01:24
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

MorphOSUser schrieb:
    [...] instead of integrating a feature that also allows mounting bin cd image or have a written third party program to do the job?

The other way round: Why duplicate efforts and integrate something into the OS, when this functionality is probably rarely needed and there is already a 3rd party tool which gets the job done. ;-)

As koszer said in #6 bchunk is the right tool for the job. This will always work, even if the .bin/.cue image consists of multiple .iso or .cdr tracks. It's a port of the well known Linux tool.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »01.04.19 - 02:29
    KennyR
    Plus, mounting a bin/cue isn't as simple as it appears. To get the full function, it has to be mounted as a fully emulated CD drive, rather than just a file as like an ISO, ADF or archive.
  • »01.04.19 - 18:46
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    I am wondering...is having an integrated CD/DVD emulator in MorphOS system such a bad idea? I mean I am enjoying bchunk and I do not mind it this way but as a side note idea...is having that integrated feature is a bad idea?

Just curious. I mean it would be cool to have a CD/DVD emulator where you do not need to use CD/DVD anymore and downloading all your ISO/BIN and double click it to mount it as a DVD player where the game can access the files in the DVD emulation as if it is a real thing. With a special short-key combination you can eject the DVD and insert a new image and so on....
  • »02.04.19 - 20:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Isn’t CD/DVD kind of dead since many years? I’m sure there are better ways to spend development time and efforts...?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »03.04.19 - 15:21
    KennyR
    I suppose functionality like the old file.device would always be a handy thing to have, and not just for bin/cue. Mount any file using any filesystem using a file.device, with support for formats like ADF and ISO and bin/cue? Definitely handy. However, the developers just have other priorities.

The old file.device from the ancient but still excellent (and operational) xfs package on Aminet still works, however I don't think it ever supported CD filesystems.

(Edit: xfs, not xfd.)

[ Edited by KennyR 05.04.2019 - 16:31 ]
  • »05.04.19 - 15:29